Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #11
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I love it when they love it and.....

Our Kohl's has the book "Deceptively Delicious" right now for only $5 for their "Kohl's Cares for Kids" program.

Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #12
Samandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm totally a party pooper. I don't like to sneak in healthy foods. I want my kids to know that they need to eat healthy, and that healthy tastes good. I have to admit though, that I haven't had a big problem with them refusing to eat what I make for them, if I did I may resort to sneaking.

Are those just blueberries and spinach? Is there a recipe?
Old 09-04-2010, 11:23 PM   #13
hippiemama86
Registered
seller

My Mood:

So cute... you can also mix spinach in a fruit smoothie! Delicious!!!
Proud mama to 1 ds (11-9-09) Married to my best friend ever!
hippiemama86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:02 AM   #14
angelisagemini
Registered Users

My Mood:

We do fruit smoothies, with a big handful of spinach and some shredded carrots thrown in. He thinks it's dessert!

We do offer him healthy foods in their non sneaky nature but he doesn't generally eat them very well. At least I know he's getting fruits and veggies everyday in his smoothie.
angelisagemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:57 AM   #15
logansmomma07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hate to be sneaky too, but there have been times I have been a lazy mom and they have gotten junk food They like it a little too much. Last night, I attempted a green smoothie for myself, and both kids chugged it down! I got maybe a sip It had a handful of spinach and greens, mango, kiwis, strawberries, and yogurt. (I tried using ice, but my blender sucks!) They LOVED it! Oh, I put a little honey in there too.

I'll have to try the popsicles. They will eat anything "popsicle"
Old 09-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #16
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samandy View Post
I'm totally a party pooper. I don't like to sneak in healthy foods. I want my kids to know that they need to eat healthy, and that healthy tastes good. I have to admit though, that I haven't had a big problem with them refusing to eat what I make for them, if I did I may resort to sneaking.

Are those just blueberries and spinach? Is there a recipe?
I agree, however if I made these I may just call them blueberry popsicles and leave out the fact that there is spinach in them until after dd was finished hers. She is weird about trying things, my ds eats raw spinach out of the fridge all the time, whenever I try to make a salad I always have to go more
Old 09-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #17
mama23boyz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love that they don't know how much ground flax seed and wheat germ I add to things. Also, I get baby food w/ WIC but we do baby led weaning. I have started adding jars of veggies to soups, stews, casseroles, and spaghetti sauce.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #18
Shaunam
Registered Users

Hmmm....I drink green smoothies all the time but my DS won't touch them. Maybe he'll eat a popsicle! In fact, I'm almost positive he will. I'll have to put berries on my shopping list. Probably not blueberries though. He's picky about those. I think he likes blackberries and those would still cover up the green color.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #19
Shaunam
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samandy View Post
I agree to an extent. I want my kid to know what it means to eat healthy, but until he cares or becomes motivated to do so, sneaking things once in a while can be good for him. He's really great about fruits and veggies. Greens are not a problem. He eats broccoli, peas, and green beans with no issue. It's LEAFY greens he refuses, because they make him gag. So it makes sense to make allowances for that. I don't even like leafy greens all that much and only really enjoy them in a smoothie.

Some kids are bad about protein, so making muffins with bean flour, flax seed, and whatever else doesn't hurt. Others refuse all veggies. Keep offering! But in the meantime, sneaking can help with their health and maybe even give them the taste for them so they'll eat them willingly in the future. I also put flax seed in a lot of stuff. I know he wouldn't eat it sprinkled in his cereal, but in a muffin? Sure! He also doesn't like whole grains much on their own (oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa, ect) so I bake it into stuff. He'll come around, I'm sure. But he's a beanpole, so his nutrition comes first.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #20
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblessedbaby View Post
i should make those for myself, i need more spinach! care to share the ratio of ingredients?
Of course!

I use one bag frozen blueberries [Cascadian farm usually]pureed, thawed in their own juice. About 1/4 cup grape juice, and one cup pureed spinach!
Mixed and it makes enough to fill one of those 8 section little molds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
Not a kid but my BIL's ex fiancee was ridiculous when it came to food. She only ate McDonald's, pizza, stuff like that (shockingly she was so skinny). So my MIL would puree all kinds of vegetables and put it in spaghetti sauce. She also would make her sweet tea with honey in it instead of sugar and the girl never knew any of it.
My oldest son has SPD and much of his food pickness if born out of that. He has a limited scope of what he'll eat as well, so I'm always looking for chances to make something fun that's really healthy! He basically likes PB&Js [which I use all natural PB and all natural fruit spread, whole wheat bread], Mac-n-cheese [typically Annie's homegrown], Spaghetti is okay every once in a while, Bean burritos, Alfredo and Hungarian Gouloush.

He was 15 months before he ever even thought about trying textures and then it was a long road still. Even as a baby he was very selective on what he ate and I did the whole try at least 15 times thing. And I still try to do this day.

So I always wonder when I hear about others who have a limited food scope if they may have some other things going on as well. It's actually very fascinating to me. I'm a little dorky!
Terra is online now   Reply With Quote