Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #21
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: "Little Man"

I agree with you OP...I get tired of the phrase too. bugs the heck out of me...here's my 'lil man' ugh. IDK why, just irritates me.

Advertisement

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #22
ambersrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you should tell people you dont like that name. I would feel bad if I called my friends child a name that they hated.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #23
jveprek
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a little man-er here too (well, I'm not a little man, but I call little guys little men sometimes). We all have those things that bother us.
jveprek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:12 AM   #24
Nijntje
Registered Users

My Mood:

It's an ongoing joke on another board I post on about how annoying it is to open up facebook and see row after row of updates about what "Little Man" is doing. Apparently the "Little Man" nickname is everywhere these days. Personally I think family nicknames should stay in the family, but that's because I hated mine as a child and found it embarrassing.

eta: it's not the updates themselves people are complaining about, it's the name

Last edited by Nijntje; 09-05-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Nijntje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:24 AM   #25
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

One more here who calls my son Little Man, along with a whole long list of sillier nicknames.

But I can understand. It bothers you, rubs you the wrong way, so just tell them you aren't fond of it. When I was pregnant with my son I made it clear, nicely, that no one is to call him Bubba. MIL has a time or two and I just asked her to please not call him Bubba, I can't stand it. Your kid, just tell them as nice as you can
Old 09-05-2010, 12:45 AM   #26
Nijntje
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cloth Diaper Kid View Post
One more here who calls my son Little Man, along with a whole long list of sillier nicknames.

But I can understand. It bothers you, rubs you the wrong way, so just tell them you aren't fond of it. When I was pregnant with my son I made it clear, nicely, that no one is to call him Bubba. MIL has a time or two and I just asked her to please not call him Bubba, I can't stand it. Your kid, just tell them as nice as you can
good for you for making it crystal clear! The first thing my family asked me after they found out my daughter's name was what we were going to call her INSTEAD.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:18 AM   #27
amandabarugh
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
good for you for making it crystal clear! The first thing my family asked me after they found out my daughter's name was what we were going to call her INSTEAD.
This drives me insane! Several people have tried to call my daughter "Becky" because of her middle name. My parents are especially guilty of this, as they hate the names we've given our children. Aidan is her first name, and while unorthodox for a girl, it was very thought out and suits her perfectly.

As far as nick names the hubs and I have for the kiddos, my youngest is named Colin Tobiah, and we call him Toby. I loved Tobiah and so badly wanted that name, but it didn't really fit as a first name, as my older two are Aidan Rebecca and Ian Joshua. So, it's his middle name, and he's Toby. He also gets called "love bug," and "little man." Ian gets called "buddy," and he has since he was born. I don't know why I call him that. It just stuck. Both boys are called "handsome," at least once a day, as well. Aidan has been called "baby" for as long as I can remember. I also call all three kids "love" and "love bug."
Old 09-05-2010, 04:30 AM   #28
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ok -- I think I changed my mind b/c I thought of something I heard my mom call my DS and I remember how terrible it made me feel when she called me that name when I was younger. He was fussy one night (well...every night...the nighttime fussies!) while she was here when he was probably less than a week old and I heard her call him an "Ill Pill". When I heard that I took him away from her and told her to never call him that name again and how rude I thought it was. It really hurt my feelings to hear her call my son a name like that. So, I think you should tell people you don't like Little Man!

BTW, thought of some things we call the babies: DD Bee Bug and Buggy Bug. We do call them by their names too, but I like calling them cute names
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #29
CharlieInCharge
Registered Users

I get where you're coming from. That pet name grates on me too, and it took me some time to figure out why. Then I finally realized that so many people treat baby boys differently, like they're already supposed to be men. Even from birth, some are dressed like mini-men, talked to like men, and belittled when they cry or show any tender feelings. I don't mean that every person who calls their son "Little Man" or dresses him "older" treats him that way, but when I hear it everywhere, it just seems yet another extension of this idea that boys should be tough and manly, even when they're too small to hold their own heads up. They get no time to be babies at all, or even just normal, multi-dimensional boys. Unfortunately, certain people who I have heard use it have reinforced this stereotype in my head.

Once I realized what bothered me so much about it, it actually began to bother me a little less with regard to my son because I know he isn't being raised that way. My SIL and even my DH call him that occasionally, and I rarely even notice anymore. They are both very warm and affectionate with my DS, and very concerned about his feelings, so I know it's not something they say to play up his masculinity or anything like that. I'm sure it's the same way for the people here who have said they use it too.

But if it bothers you so much, I don't think there's anything wrong with saying so (kindly but firmly). Your feelings are your feelings, and I do understand even if I'm in the minority. In my case, I know I might be overreacting to "Little Man" somewhat because of my strong feelings about the way our society treats our boys, but that doesn't mean that my underlying point isn't a valid one. Whatever is at the root of your feelings is likely a valid point oo.
CharlieInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #30
OnAnnaTime
Registered Users

I'm not a fan of my son being called "Little Man", either. It doesn't bother me for other people to call their kids that, but I just don't like it for my son. So we started calling him Little Buddy, and it's stuck.

On the other hand, I would love if my grandparents and mom would stick to Little Man.. the first thing they called him was Short Shi.. (curse word for poop) what the heck?! I put a stop to that immediately.