Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #21
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Milk with school lunches

I sure wish I could have some chocolate milk everyday!!

Advertisement

Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #22
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillymama View Post
I'm not sure if this is true of chocolate milk in school, but a majority of the chocolate milk you buy at a store or get at a restaurant has high fructose corn syrup in it - which is disgusting to me. I would much rather my children have water, which is a majority of what we drink at home, than chocolate milk with HFCS in it. I'm not anti milk or chocolate milk (I prefer my flavored with nesquik), but not having water as an alternative is sorry.
The chocolate milk in my son's school is HFCS. I don't mind choco milk as long as it's organic, which is why I pack his lunch. He doesn't get choco milk everyday of course. He actually likes the Fruitables fruit/veggie juice or white milk too. But I agree, I don't like HFCS and it's in much of the school lunches. My son goes to a special needs charter school.

I pack for both of my sons every day
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #23
iggyloo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I can guarantee that my inner city kids would turn their noses up at hemp milk. These are the same kids that ignore the perfectly steamed broccoli and beautiful salads (our cafeteria makes an effort to have beautiful healthy food in an attempt to entice the kids), and eat pizza, nachos, and flaming hot baked cheetos every day.
My suggestion was in regards to the mamas son at home. I can't see any alternative to cows milk ever being offered in public schools. As great as it would be.

I think there is a reason fresh food is turned down over cheetos. If cheetos are what you know and trust, you'll stick with that. If everyone around you is only eating the cheetos, you'll stick with that. If your not encouraged at home to try new things, possibly because there aren't new things to try, how do you develop a curiosity for food? You stick with what you know. Ah, I could go on and on. Breaks my heart.
Momma to Lily Grace Ryan 10/22/07 and Avaya Kai 10/30/10 Expecting #3 11/5/2014
iggyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #24
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't know if it's state or federal, but we (I am a cafeteria worker in TN) are required by law to offer a variety of flavors and fat content. That means we have 1% chocolate, sweet acedophelous, and strawberry, and skim white milk. It is in the cooler for the kids to choose every day. I would check with your state laws on that. It may be that they are not meeting the requirements by making something request only.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #25
lisaaag
Banned at Users Request
seller

My Mood:

I find it strange, when I was in school I always got whole milk, I just didn't want that sweetness with my food.