Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
FallBabies
Registered Users

Changing to use middle name instead... too weird?

My son's name is Evan, and it is TOO common around here! When we chose it, it was far enough down on the Soc. Security list that I thought we'd be okay with it, but now, everywhere we go, we are surrounded by Evans! (We went to a playgroup recently, and 4 of the 9 boys were named Evan... two of the other boys were my other sons, so that's really 4 out of 7!)

He's about to turn 3 years old, starts preschool on Tuesday. He doesn't talk much (but is quickly gaining expressive language), and neither he nor his twin are able to say the name Evan. I asked him if he'd rather be called Evan or by his middle name "Matisse", and he chose the latter. AND he can actually say it, which is nice.
So he seems to like it more, and I love the fact that it is uncommon. Would it be weird for us to just randomly start calling him by a new name? What do we do about school? What do we tell family and friends?

It seems like a good idea, but I just have never met anyone who has just suddenly changed what they call their kid, so I can't quite wrap by head around doing it. I've been occasionally trying it out, and it feels like I'm just pretending.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
brewanothercup
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Changing to use middle name instead... too weird?

No one in my immediate family calls me by my first name, so when I registered for school they used my middle name also. When I switched school districts in 6th grade, I started going by my first name. It was just annoying to have to explain all the time. My middle name is more unique than my first, but it doesn't bother me to go by such a common name.

I don't think it would be weird to switch, but it might be difficult for some to accept the transition. What about a nickname, or initials?
brewanothercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

nope, totally not weird. My brother goes by his middle name Justin. I think Matisse is a very nice name.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
sugar_booger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a friend who went by Patty for all of elementary school, but she decided she didn't like it and started going by Trisha when she started high school... not quite the same as going by a middle name instead, but still a switch. It was wierd for us friends from her younger years but now we are adults and I;m totally used to it. I think it is a fine idea and if you're considering it, do it now when he's young and the transition will be the easiest for everyone. I like Matisse BTW!! I had no idea Evan was so popluar these days though, good to know. What does his Dad think of this idea? I think both parents should completely agree on the change.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

I know a boy who goes by his middle name. Not weird at all. It's like using a nickname
Old 09-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
FallBabies
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar_booger View Post
I had a friend who went by Patty for all of elementary school, but she decided she didn't like it and started going by Trisha when she started high school... not quite the same as going by a middle name instead, but still a switch. It was wierd for us friends from her younger years but now we are adults and I;m totally used to it. I think it is a fine idea and if you're considering it, do it now when he's young and the transition will be the easiest for everyone. I like Matisse BTW!! I had no idea Evan was so popluar these days though, good to know. What does his Dad think of this idea? I think both parents should completely agree on the change.
I think it is probably regional, b/c it still doesn't show up in the top 20 (actually, it is around 40 for when he was born), but even in our local playgroup (not the one I previously mentioned), I can think of multiple Evan's off the top of my head!
DH is the one who originally picked the middle name, and he doesn't mind the idea of switching, but he's afraid people will call him "Matt", which he doesn't like. Matisse emphasizes the second part of the name, so I don't really think that will be an issue.

So what do we do? Just start calling him by his middle name instead until he figures out that's his new name?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have always called my son by both names, either together Maddox Taro or individually with the assumption that one day he will decide what he want to be called. At 3 he still answers to both and doesn't seem to show any preferences, I am secretly hoping he decides to be called Taro as Maddox is gaining in popularity. On the other side Taro is never pronounced rigth.
Maybe start by calling him Evan Matisse all as one name and then just shorten it to Matisse to avoid confusion
Old 09-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My friends sisters name is Brittany Chanel and I knew her as Brittany but once she switched schools she starte going by Chanel. It was odd for me bc I knew her for so long but now its just normal. Go for it if you want.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
BeastMasterMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmom View Post
We have always called my son by both names, either together Maddox Taro or individually with the assumption that one day he will decide what he want to be called. At 3 he still answers to both and doesn't seem to show any preferences, I am secretly hoping he decides to be called Taro as Maddox is gaining in popularity. On the other side Taro is never pronounced rigth.
Maybe start by calling him Evan Matisse all as one name and then just shorten it to Matisse to avoid confusion
I think this is a good idea. Thought it may be a little weird in the beginning, everyone will adjust to it. I love the name Matisse, by the way! I also have an 8yo nephew named Evan, and it is more popular now than when he was born!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**36***40
BeastMasterMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
boy-oh-boy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a boy in my class who prefers to use his middle name. He shares a first name with dad, so it makes sense.

I sometimes call out my boys by middle name instead of first name. I picked up the habit from DSS1's mom - she has noticed that he often will respond to his middle name, while not seeming to hear his first name. I know other people that do this as well.

I call all the boys by any of their names: first, first & middle, or just middle. I do want them to recognize both names as their own. This has somehow backfired on us, and two of my boys think all three of them share DS2's middle name!

Last edited by boy-oh-boy; 09-05-2010 at 05:33 PM.
boy-oh-boy is offline   Reply With Quote