Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #11
imasupernova
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Changing to use middle name instead... too weird?

OP my son's name is Evan as well. That was not the name we chose at birth but we got nervous about the name we chose and how people would react and so we changed it to Evan. We have since started calling him his original birth name, which is not on his birth certificate but we plan on it.

We think of it as you can call your child a nickname right? Well, what's the difference? I mean yeah you are changing his name but he is young enough to not really care. Our guy hasn't even batted an eye over it and actually answers to the name better then he ever did Evan. So we are happy with our choice.

Good Luck!

Advertisement

mom to se7en rockin' kiddos
Do you Swag? You can earn FREE gift cards!

Last edited by imasupernova; 09-05-2010 at 12:19 PM.
imasupernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #12
imasupernova
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh and when we first started it was the most awkward feeling and to try and get the other kids to switch over was strange...and some of them didn't like it. But the majority of everyone have now gotten used to it and it is second nature now. We have only one kid (my oldest) who has issues with it. Oh and grandma asks all the time. What is my grandson's name. She will just have to deal with it. It was our choice and we are sticking to it...hehe

mom to se7en rockin' kiddos
Do you Swag? You can earn FREE gift cards!
imasupernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #13
katiegud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dad used his middle name until he was 18, then legally switched them. My SIL also goes by her middle name and has since childhood. I don't think it is all that unusual, and since he's still young and prefers his middle name it should be easy to switch!
katiegud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #14
Gitrecca
Registered Users

My brother chose to change his name at just two years old! My mom let it go and he's never looked back! I think you can do it. I do like the idea of starting to call him by both names and then just dropping the "Evan."
Old 09-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #15
CrazedChris
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I went to school with a guy who went by his middle name, as he was a Third. No one knew it was his middle name until close to graduation and rehearsal. Everyone heard his first name and went, "who the heck is that?" lol
Old 09-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #16
FallBabies
Registered Users

Thanks for all the responses! I told dh the advice, and he seems on board. So now we'll be calling him Evan Matisse; I'll send a note with his teachers to ask that they do the same. We had his bday party tonight, and as we were singing, I realized this could be the last party we sing, "Happy birthday dear Evan!" I'm glad we got it on camera!
Old 09-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #17
tonewinwy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My older Nephew goes by his middle name. He's named after his Grandfather and his Dad. His Dad has always gone by Steven so my Nephew goes by his middle name Kelly that away we don't have two Stevens.

It's always weird at Preschool he's registered as Steven but they call him Kelly the Teachers are always confused at the name on the sheet I sign him out on.

He's also Steven at Drs office.
It's OK, next time I'll make you listen. I wish that it were in the power of all children to say that to their parents and to know that indeed they would be heard as we were in those wonderful days on Waltons Mountain.Narrator The Waltons (From the Runaway in Season 3 Eposide 4.)
tonewinwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #18
nalazimbala
Registered Users
seller

My DH went by his first name Jason all the way through high school and then when he went to college switched to his middle - Carter b/c there were so many Jason's his age. It's a little confusing when we visit his hometown, but most people are used to it now (15 years later).

I also knew someone when I was little that decided to start going by his middle name when he was in 2nd grade, I think...it wasn't a big deal. I say go for it.

By the way, our DD's name is Evangeline but we call her Evan for short...we noticed how popular it was for boys but we haven't heard of many girls so far.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #19
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

Just my two cents, I'm a middle namer and it has always been very difficult. There is the constant explaining, trying to figure out how to fill out forms, etc. Since becoming an adult I switched to using my first name for legal/financial things so filling out forms got easier but there is STILL the constant explaining (and I'm 40 years old). It's REALLY annoying.

My sister took on a new nickname at 30 or so years of age and so she now has two identities. Annoying. My husband calls my first daughter by a nickname of her middle name (against my wishes but his mother thought of it) and there are a few people who know her from babyhood that call her that. ANNOYING. I made it very clear that any children we had would be called by their first name and first name only, and still I have to deal with this middle name issue!!!

For your son I would highly recommend leaving things as they are and continuing to call him by his first name. Life would be so much easier for him.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #20
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Nope not weird at all. I know a lot of people who go by their middle name. My nephew is a junior;named after a deadbeat, druggy of a dad and my sister really wants to call him by his middle name but he's almost 5 and resistant to it.