Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
mamaemily81
Registered Users

My Mood:
Dairy sensitivity

Anyone else's LO have a dairy sensitivity? He doesn't have an allergy, dairy just causes severe diarrhea. Did they ever outgrow it? It's so hard to accommodate him, I LOVE dairy. Of course, I guess I should get over it, we'll be accomodating to our babies for the rest of our lives . I gave up dairy for 7 months while breastfeeding, and while it made him so much happier, and I would do it a million times over, it was SOO hard for me and I feel so bad for him that he can't eat cheese and other yummy foods!

Advertisement

mamaemily81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dairy sensitivity

We have two kids with dairy intolerance (as well as gluten, soy, nuts, and wheat). A lot of kids do outgrow it if you eliminate it completely and give them probiotics to help strengthen their intestinal tract. Till then, there are some great alternatives (hemp milk, soy milk, soy cheese, vegan cheese). My son was 3 by the time we figured out all his allergies/intolerances and with these substitutions, he doesn't miss the "real thing" at all!
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
clb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no alergies here but i too had to give up diary while breastfeeding due to my extremely fussy baby and even now, at 2, ds still gets diarrhea if he consumes any diary at all. We just avoid it - never really substituted with any other milk. I figure if the majority of the world weans from breast to water, he doesn't need a cow milk substitute as long as he has a healthy diet otherwise.
C- Proud mama to M (4/08). Loving wife to J. Excited about welcoming baby #2 into our APing, BWing, Non-Circing, Selective Vaxing, happy, hippy family in 03/11
clb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
NewYearsBaby
Registered Users
seller

Location: Where you can see the coasters over the trees, Florida
My Mood:

Yup- DS has a severe dairy intolerance. He seems to be growing out of it, thankfully! I haven't had ANY dairy since he was a few weeks old, I miss the HECK out of it, because i'm a big milk and cheese lover, but it is so so so worth it because it makes him SO miserable. I had the same issue as a baby and I grew out of it (obviously), and he definitely is as well, I used to very much know when I got cross contaminated food, recently I'm pretty sure I have gotten some dairy and he hasn't had a distinct reaction.

0****5****10********20****25****30****35** **40

NewYearsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
Husky359
Registered Users

I have a question.... my son is 2 1/2 and he really, REALLY probably needed me to give up dairy when he was a baby...... never did, poor thing.... :-( But now I have a daughter who is not as high needs and I did give up dairy for a month, then went back on, and it became very clear to me since she has only had an incredibly fussy night 2 times and both were after a dairy day, that I need to give up dairy. So I have. But I thought my son was probably ok with it now..... but you all say diarrhea is how you know your children aren't doing well with it, and my son has never had solid poop. He is 2 1/2, but he still nurses, and I assumed his poop was always runny because of the nursing. Do you think this is correct to assume, or do you think he is having a problem with dairy? The trouble is, he won't eat meat or beans or nuts so dairy is the only way he gets protein.
Husky359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

My son has some sensitivities to dairy and probably other foods as well. We can't tell so much by his poop, but his face breaks out every meal, every day.

Anyways, we give him goats milk. But he can do cheese. He does seem to be outgrowing it a little though. 2 days this week he had a little "steamer" from the coffee shop which is whole milk steamed w/ a shot of flavor and seemed to be fine. He likes his goats milk, though.