Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Emily Jo is Here!

I can't believe she is already 2 weeks old!

Emily Jo’s
Birth Story

Thursday, September 9, 2010 (38w6d):
At my doctor appointment, Dr. Morgan said she was going to be on call at Legacy this weekend. If we wanted she could induce us. I was at 2cm and 50% effaced. I felt done and didn’t want to have a long labor like with Steven (14 hours and 1.5 hours of pushing). We had thought that she was going to be large like him (8lbs 7oz) and he was born 12 days early. She was going to be 6 days early.

Friday, September 10, 2010 (39w):
Took Steven to meet his preschool teacher and then off to the library to check out some books. Had dinner over at Ben’s Parents house (beef stir-fry). Thought it was going to be my last meal for a while! Left Steven over there for a “sleep over” and went home for Ben to pack.

At 7:50pm drove to the hospital. Checked in at Labor and Delivery at 8:10. Got dressed in my lovely gown and was hooked up to the monitors at 8:30. Had to be monitored for 30 minutes before they could administer the “pill” to ripen my cervix. I was having contractions every 5-7 minutes.

Then at 9:00 we had to wait for the pharmacy to approve my prescription. At 9:30, Nurse came in to admit the pill. A little ¼ of a pill was suppose to help ripen my cervix. She said I had a bulging bag of water. Ben fell asleep. I dozed off for maybe 30 minutes max! “Sister” was still being very active.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 (39w1d):
At 1:30 am the nurse came in and started my Pitocin. Ben, still asleep. She also checked to see if I progressed…3cm. Contractions got a little bit stronger but still manageable. Dr. Morgan had a delivery at Southwest Hospital and would be in later.

At 4:15am Dr came in (she wouldn’t normally come in until later but since she was already up for that previous delivery she decided to come in and check me). She checked me, still at 3cm. So she decided to break my bag of water. Water came gushing out! With the water gone the contractions got harder. I shifted my body and another gush of water! Nurse came in to clean me up. I got up and stood in the bathroom, another GUSH! “I’m not peeing myself!” I got back into bed. Contractions got stronger. I had to sit up and do the “Triangle breathing” through them.

Decided I needed Ben to wake up! He turned on the tv to distract himself I guess! After a few contractions I told him “I need it turned off”…well apparently he thought the tv! I meant the Pit. He had to go to the bathroom and asked if it was okay. Well again thought it was going to be quick! Three HARD contractions later he came back.

Finally got the nurse to come in and turn off the Pitocin. I stood up and thought that might help with the contractions. We were talking about getting the tub ready (since that is where I labored a little bit with Steven). I thought it was going to be a while, since I was only 3 cm when my water broke. Then I got the URGE! They got me back up on the bed to check me. I was now at 6cm in between contractions.

6:03am…the urge was way too strong! I was able to start pushing. They got my bed broken down and was getting everything else set up. I pushed on my side for 2 contractions and then moved onto my back. They had to give me oxygen because baby’s heartbeat was declining (had to do the same thing with Steven). I pushed through 2 more contractions on my back. Burn, burn, burn! With every push, MORE water came out!

6:14am…after less than 2 hours of active labor and 11 minutes of pushing out “FLEW” our beautiful little peanut. She came out so quickly the doctor couldn’t remove the cord that was tightly wrapped around her neck. She let out one little cry. Daddy got to cut her cord and they placed her on my chest. She was so tiny! Much tinnier than I thought she was going to be. She would let out little grunts but no more cries. The nurse took her away and checked her out at the warming table.

I tore with her and needed a few stitches. My legs were shaking so bad! Then it was time to deliver the placenta. Wow…that hurt almost as bad as delivering her! And then they had to “push” on my uterus to get it back down every 30 minutes for 2 hours….ummmm no thanks. That was a lot worse with the second child. My mom said that she didn’t want to tell me that.

They got her crying and pinking up. Her 3 APGAR scores were 8, 8, and 9. The nurse weighed her while I was getting stitched up. Only 7 pounds! WOW a lot smaller than I thought she was going to be. She was also 20 inches long.

Out little peanut still didn’t have a name. And she didn’t get a name until she was around an hour old. I have always wanted a daughter and name her Emily. As far as the middle name went, I wanted Dawn, until my Sister died 11 years ago. My great grandma’s name was Josephine. My grandma’s middle name is Jo, my mom’s middle name is Jo, and my sister’s middle name was Jo. When my sister died so did the middle name tradition. I wanted to honor her and have my daughter’s middle name be Jo. So that is how EMILY JO got her name.

It was time for me to get up so they could change the sheets on the bed and get me changed. Went into the bathroom and it was like a murder scene in there! Blood everywhere.

My parents came in around 8:00 am. My dad took over video camera duties and videotaped her first bath. Emily LOVED her bath especially when the nurse washed her hair! Definitely not her momma’s daughter! My grandma, Gangie, came to see Emily. Gangie was hoping to see my doctor, which is her doctor too. My sister Kelly showed up around 9:00am.

And then it was time for Big Brother to show up around 9:30. He walked in and wanted to hold her right away! Until he found out that she had presents for him! After the newness of the presents wore off she was back to wanting to hold Emily and kiss her.

Around 10am I had to have a catheter put in because I couldn’t pee. That was no fun!

Was moved into the recovery room around 1pm.

My sister Lindsay and her husband Michael came down from Seattle after their birthing class around 6:30pm. She is due 10/10/10.

Did our “postpartum” class at 7:30pm. Had to do this in order to leave hospital. Left Emily in our room with Aunt Lindsay, Uncle Michael, and Aunt Kelly. When we had to do this class with Steven he cried the entire time!
Around 8:30pm the nurse came in and weighed her again…6lbs 12oz.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 (1day):
8:30am ~ Pediatrician came in to check Emily out. Gave her a good bill of health.

We were going to leave the hospital around 1 or 2 pm. However Emily was not latching on like I wanted her to. So we stayed until she fed for at least 3 times.

At 4 we were ready to go. Put Emily in the car seat and it was TOO big! We had to figure out how to shorten the straps to her carseat.

4:30pm~ Finally left the hospital and went home. She loved the car ride home and was quiet the entire time.

She is doing awesome! Nursing away. At her 2 week check up she was already weighing 7lbs 12oz!

Cloth diapers have been kind of a frustration for us. But hopefully we'll get the hang of it!

Here is her birth announcement that I designed. Pics were taken at 1 week.

Advertisement

Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
cococomey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Emily Jo is Here!

Beautiful story- Beautiful baby!
Congrats

cococomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
AshleyLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

congrats!! she is so cute!
Old 09-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats! Enjoy her, mama! She's a beauty.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
firstpancake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Congrats, she's really beautiful!
firstpancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter