Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2006, 02:36 PM   #11
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
Re: 3D/4D Ultra sounds....

LOL, that's neat! I agree if you're having twins or are further along it's not the best choice. LOL I don't have many good ones because there's no room. The one time they tried to get A she was too close to the wall of the uterus and they couldn't get her. That's why I'd suggest getting them earlier. Maybe between 24 and 32 weeks if you can. That's a good shot anyway... in some cases the later the better so it doesn't look like an alien - but you still want to be able to see it!

Advertisement

Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:24 PM   #12
Abunchofus
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewebabymama
You can't really tell what the child looks like and/or the images are rather distorted. They are really overpriced IMO.
I have to respectfully disagree with the first sentence. I have my 3D/4D pics of my son at 28 or 30 weeks and they look just like him at birth! They kept commenting when doing the u/s that he had a big bottom lip like my hubby and he does! He looked just like the pics when he was born! And to me they do not look like the 2D images at all - you can really see what the baby looks like - if he/she has a round face or long face or big ears or little ears or whatever the case may be - we even saw *Private* parts that confirmed he was definitely ALL boy! And those *private* parts certainly look more real in 3D than they do on the 2D.

I do agree that they USED to be REALLY Overpriced. 4 years ago when I wante done the least expensive one was about $400 - however now the least expensive ones are about $150 and go up to about $300. Most here average about $175 to $230.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:45 PM   #13
shandi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree that the 3D pics do look like the baby, the ones we had done looked just like ds's face which was really neat!
I don't know about costs of these ultrasounds since I live in Canada and they don't do the 3D/4D ultrasounds at places where you can pay for them.
Although these US's are really neat, and the only reason I had one done is because I am an x-ray technologist and I have ultrasound tech friends that work in the same department as me. So we just did a quick look and took a couple 3D images.
One thing to remember with these is the people doing the ultrasounds are not trained ultrasound tech's, they just take some some of crash course through the place they are working for. If you had this done at a hospital as part of a routine exam the tech's would be fully trained and have a lot more expertise.
Although there are no known risks of US exposure to the baby...you still don't want to be getting too many US's because no one really know what the effects of extra exposure are. I think the 3D US procedures with the video and pics etc. have up to an hour of exposure which I don't really think is a great thing. If I'm mistaken and it is less than that, then maybe it's not so bad...but I would be wary of the people's qualifications doing the US's, I'd make sure to ask about that!
Anyhoo, that's my
Old 06-02-2006, 07:38 PM   #14
Abunchofus
Registered Users
seller

Yes I agree that you should not over do them! With our last baby we had one at about 16 weeks with a friend to check gender and it lasted all of 10 min. Then another one about 20 weeks with Dr. that lasted about 10 min also. then the one at 28 or so weeks that was 3D and lasted about 20 min.

I've heard of women having weekly u/s scans and I know my time totalled far less LOL!

I agree to keep it to a minimum!
Old 06-02-2006, 07:48 PM   #15
rebyell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had one done at 26 weeks. I loved it. We wanted to be sure she was a girl so we had it done by a place you pay for but done by a trained US tech that had previously worked in a hospital. It was about 20 min and AMAZING. It was around $200, but still less than we just paid to have a 2-d one for a due date done at our clinic (it was $287 and we don't have maternity insurance) So I don't feel it was overpriced at all compared to the doctors clinic.
Most of the tv programs and articles I have read against private US are because it is replacing people seeing their doctor for the diagnostic ultrasound. Most of the people doing these are not trained in diagnosing anything they see other than gender.
Also if they do a prolonged US for over 30 min or something. Just make sure the people are trained and I think you are just as fine as with hospital to do it once. I had to have a signed note from my doctor and she thought it was fine (although I don't always blindly agree with all doctors).

Post your pics if you decide to do it!
Old 06-03-2006, 05:32 PM   #16
1boy1girl1bitty2
Registered Users
seller

we have free/government health care here so all ultrasounds are completely covered but wheather you get a 3d/4d us is up to the doc and what clinic he/she can get you into in the time frame he wants these tests done. i wanted a 4d one with the last baby but our us's were short notice so we never got to have one, but hopefully for the next one