Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2006, 09:45 PM   #11
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: SOOOOOO MAD what would you do??????

I used to work for a school and the children were required to eat at least 2 things from their lunch...be it home brought or cafeteria food. I would have no problem with that.

Inquire first before making accusations. Not that I think your son is wrong...but sometimes things seem different to one than to another. Well, I'd just make sure that the teacher really is doing that. If he is, or it's something they all do, I'd address the issue..Good luck!

Advertisement

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:47 PM   #12
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

I would be very angry as well!! I am like you in that I would be hopping around angry, and would probably just storm into the principal's office. So I'm of not help. Except to suggest sending him with cold lunches in the future. They're healthier anyways.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:58 PM   #13
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ok I am mad reading this happened to your child... so you may want to disregard my reply...

I would tell my child, after explaining what is within reason, to refuse anything within limits and require the school to call me with a report (for disobedience!

I think this is the one big reason why dc3 comes home for lunch during the school year!

I hope you can get it straightened out, it surely isnt right!
Old 06-01-2006, 10:02 PM   #14
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I was sending him with cold lunches but with his sensory issues and his allergies he has very few items he will or can eat...and he likes warm food, he is not your regular sandwich type of kid...so when i send him a lunch it ends up being a bunch of snack items as the meals he likes are hot...and I can't request the school to heat the food so I am at a loss really...not to mention funds are LOW right now and hot lunch is free and right now I can't afford to send much for him right now but still don't feel he should be forced to eat things or punished for not eating...and even if it was your school policy to have the children eat at least two things, were the parents informed of this? I mean I come from a background of working with kids and special needs people and we couldnt force them to do down right anything without "violating their personal rights" If they did not care for something we had to respect that and offer alternatives. If this is a school policy it needs to be made known and I WILL make sure my child is excluded from this rule or I will leave...
Old 06-01-2006, 10:05 PM   #15
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Well, I don't see under any circumstances how a child should be forced to eat. I mean, there are three things you can't make a kid do: eat, sleep and use the toilet. Schools do not have the authority or power to try to do this.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:05 PM   #16
a_cthelen
My cat's breath smells like cat food
seller

As an elementary school teacher, many of my students do not eat much of their food and are often hungry soon after lunch; however, this does not give anyone the right to force your child to eat. I would collect my thoughts prior to going to the principal. Also, realize that he/she may not be able to give you a prompt resolution to the problem. Do not leave without an apology and a plan to remedy the situation. I know the temptation is strong to march in there, but it's probably best to remain concise and calm as to your problem, IMO.

Good luck!!

Wool for Sale: http://hyenacart.com/Spots_corner/index.php?u=6698
a_cthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #17
Merolu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I remember that being the way it was when I was in school, not allowed to leave the lunchroom until we'd eaten enough to suit the teacher on lunch duty. I hated it then and I would flip if someone treated my child that way. I think it's ok to encourage a kid, but not to force them, that's wrong.
Merolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:35 PM   #18
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just wish I had documenation or something I could put in front of them to back up what I have to say...my fiances dad is a social worker so I made a call to him but I have yet to hear back from him and I doubt I will before morning. I really don't want to go in there and not have everything in order. I want them to know they are dealing with a very concerned mother who knows her stuff...but I have been searching online for a while now and found nothing! I am getting frustrated. grrrrrrrr
Old 06-01-2006, 10:37 PM   #19
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

If you use the words "sensory integration" that should work. Makes it sound like your son has a medical problem that they're screwing around with.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:38 PM   #20
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You have gotten many great suggestions,
I really like the idea of collecting your thoughts on paper...

but mostly I just wanted to share my support!!
to you as you avdocate for your son's well being at school!
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote