Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2006, 11:05 PM   #21
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: SOOOOOO MAD what would you do??????

well sensory integration is a medical issue...it is stated on his medical information card as well, they may not be aware of all it has to do with as I am educating his teacher daily about things but almost feel its too much effort because he is only with her for less than another month so once I get her understanding it he will move to another teacher who won't understand him and I will have to educate...If he wasn't such a social child I would homeschool him, but he would go crazy not being able to go to school he needs the interaction and loves the whole concept of school so I would feel terrible removing him, and I did a huge search before we moved for schools and this was the most open and alternative learning type school so if this is as good as it gets I am up poop creek hehe

Advertisement

Old 06-01-2006, 11:35 PM   #22
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wow thats ridiculous!! i feel so bad for him!!
one thing though, maybe go in there and ask what happened at lunch yesterday and see if they will tell you anything, and ask to see their policy on making kid eat everything... and if they dont have one, tell them your son eats what he wants to and thats that, and if they do, go on about his medical issues with foods, etc

'i hope your fil2b gets you info on it and can help out!!
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:45 PM   #23
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you know that's a great idea, to ask to see the policy because if there is not one which I have never seen before and they are doing things that should be put in writing so we know what we are getting into. My sister talked to a lawyer about it saying I should go in person but also document it making it a formal complaint incase it happens again there is record of my complaint incase further action needs to be taken. She also said to journal conversations with what was discussed in detail times and dates and if needed have the person sign it so all the bases are covered. I want them to know I don't take this lightly, but I also don't want my son to suffer by me acting too rash about things.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:23 AM   #24
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaivensMama
well sensory integration is a medical issue...it is stated on his medical information card as well, they may not be aware of all it has to do with as I am educating his teacher daily about things but almost feel its too much effort because he is only with her for less than another month so once I get her understanding it he will move to another teacher who won't understand him and I will have to educate...If he wasn't such a social child I would homeschool him, but he would go crazy not being able to go to school he needs the interaction and loves the whole concept of school so I would feel terrible removing him, and I did a huge search before we moved for schools and this was the most open and alternative learning type school so if this is as good as it gets I am up poop creek hehe
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply it wasn't a real medical condition. I say bonehead things sometimes. I meant that hearing medical terms makes them nervous.

If you want to homeschool, there are great things you can get him into, like co-ops. With co-ops you can take classes much like regular school, only you're with other homeschoolers and the classes are taught by mamas.

But if you want to leave him in the school he's in, I would bring in as much information as you can about his condition and let them know that this mandatory eating is not healthy for him. Be firm, but also calm, it's a good thing it's not til tomorrow.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:23 AM   #25
1boy1girl1bitty2
Registered Users
seller

it's not exactly the same situation but my sister got suspended for something that happened of school grounds on a weekend!! my mom happened to witness what she was suspended for (it happened at our house) and when my sister called mom to pick her up that day mom marched into the office (she's short and stalky) and straight past the secretary to the vice principals office (he's tall and buff), poked him, told him to get his head out of his a$$, and told him h was not to make any record of this suspension on my sisters recorde or she'd file charges against the school for unfair treatment. wlkdd to the waiting room told my sister to go to the car (the vp then asked my mom to sign the suspention form) he just got a nasty look from mom and she called him a pr!ck
and walked out of the office sister in tow. not to mention this was the last day before christmas holidays and also my sisters birthday!!! that vp never crossed my mom again but also no longer holds that position.

if it were my child i would stand up for his/her rights!! if authority figures aren't going to respect my child's rights they sure as hell better be ready to respect me!!!

Last edited by 1boy1girl1kitty2; 06-02-2006 at 01:25 AM.
1boy1girl1bitty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:18 AM   #26
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: SOOOOOO MAD what would you do?????? ****WITH FOLLOW UP!!!****

OK I am completely unsatisfied after talking to the principal...here's how it went
On the way to school I asked my son a few more questions and it got even worse...more was happening than I thought...so I marched into the principals office and she was all cheery with "oh hello good morning how are you" I said " I need to speak with you" she said "go right ahead" so I went on to explain what my son had told me....
My son told me last night that he was put in a time out yesterday for getting up from his seat at lunch time. He said a few kids were bothering him and he did not want to get in trouble and got up and moved his seat. Well, ryan put him in a time out for the entire recess for this. BUT this led to Taiven telling me about the lunch procedure here. He said that Ryan and the other lunch duty walk around ordering the children to eat all the food on their plates if they don't they get a time out for 5 minutes. Then yesterday my son was told by Ryan that his scoop of corn was too small and was told he had to take 3 large scoops and was forced to eat it all. He also said he has been put in time outs for the entire recess for not eating his vegetables andforcing a child to eat is NOT OK. Not to mention my son has sensory issues which make him gag at certain foods and your staff should not be telling him what he needs to eat.
SHe responds in and out of what I was saying by saying this doesn't sound right there must be a misunderstanding I wasn't here yesterday but i do go in the lunch room at times and I have never heard them telling them they have to eat things your son probably just misunderstood that. I understand if he has reflux I will mention that to Ryan. She also said well what a smart boy for only getting a small scoop of corn since he knows he won't eat it all and doesn't want to be wastful. She made this face like eww I don't eat my veggies either with her tongue out like I would think she was cute (SURE DIDN"T)
I replied I assure you my son does not lie. He tells me what goes on and I address it. He does not have REFLUX he has sensory integration Dysfunction which includes texture issues he is lucky he didnt puke all over your luch room from this force feeding! So I want you to get to the bottom of this and call me at my home. Because this has to stop!
She took down my number and said she would speak to Ryan and was sure it was just all a missunderstanding...

Well I am even more frustrated she pretty much said my kid is a liar or stupid because he doesn't know what is going on...well that really chaps my hide because she is of course going to go talk to this Ryan fellow and he is going to say oh no we don't do that and that will be that...well she seems to want to only believe what her staff is going to say and just assume my son is making up stories...this is not the case...So I really can't wait for this phone call...if she dares to tell me Ryan never did these things I am going to ask how she knows this because she talked to him! Yah sure he will say he didn't he needs to cover his A$$! I have seen far too many people lie when working with kids or special needs people when they were at fault because the sourse was a kid or special needs person who in their eyes would not look credable......
ooh then after I left the office I was walking to my car and WHO DID I PASS ...Ryan..I gave him an evil glare and kept on walkin!

Last edited by TaivensMama; 06-02-2006 at 10:20 AM.
TaivensMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:35 AM   #27
childers521
Registered Users

Is it possible for you to drop by Taiven's school occasionally and eat lunch with him? Just sort of show up unannounced and sit with him while he eats?

I used to go eat lunch with my dd at her elementary school and let me tell you I was pretty appalled at the way they were treated. But, after several parents (that had also been there eating lunch with their kids) complained to the principal, there were a lot of changes made in lunchroom behavior control.

Prior to the parents complaints the kids had to eat in the dark most of the time because they turned the lights off if they got "too loud" or the lunchroom monitors would bang empty gallon sized coffee cans on the tables right in front of the kids faces grrrr They never forced them to eat anything, but I can see where you would be furious about that
Old 06-02-2006, 10:42 AM   #28
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I am so sorry it didn't go better! I hope you get some of this resolved. It's so inappropriate to force a child to eat like that.
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:03 AM   #29
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMG banging coffe cans in faces That I would have probably taken legal action on...People make me soooooooooo sick...My son is at that age where he really doesnt want the other kids to make fun of him by being too affectionate with me...so I would assume he would probably not want me to eat with him! haha...I am the only parent who drops off and picks up everyday as everyone else takes the bus...I am not ready for him to take the bus...Don't know if I ever will...the things that can happen are well, I don't even want to think about it...I tend to be over protective but He is my baby and he has a lot of issues so I need to treat him with extra care... I will ask him though if I could come eat with him...as i was told when we toured I was able to drop by any time I want so I may have to do so
Old 06-02-2006, 11:45 AM   #30
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaivensMama
OMG banging coffe cans in faces That I would have probably taken legal action on...People make me soooooooooo sick...My son is at that age where he really doesnt want the other kids to make fun of him by being too affectionate with me...so I would assume he would probably not want me to eat with him! haha...I am the only parent who drops off and picks up everyday as everyone else takes the bus...I am not ready for him to take the bus...Don't know if I ever will...the things that can happen are well, I don't even want to think about it...I tend to be over protective but He is my baby and he has a lot of issues so I need to treat him with extra care... I will ask him though if I could come eat with him...as i was told when we toured I was able to drop by any time I want so I may have to do so
Would it make it better for him if you dropped by at lunch time to bring him a special treat? His favorite hot lunch or something? Doesn't have to be every day but once in a while, just to get an idea of what's going on. I know it's kind of touchy at that age...
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote