Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
justjacqueline
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I need ways to make/save money!

I am a little out of touch here with being thrifty. When we had to move out of our house (because of the tree falling into the roof) and live out of a hotel for weeks and now a rental....I just haven't had a lot of time to be thrifty. Meal planning is obvious as well as preparing meals in advance (because we are ALWAYS on the go ) But give me other things to do. I'm already signed up with MyPoints (but rarely use it) and Swagbucks (I have been slacking) but with Christmas coming up I need every thrifty program/idea I can get. What do you guys do?

Advertisement

justjacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
hlaverdiere
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need ways to make/save money!

I make my own cleaning products. I buy 3 things in the largest sizes I can find (Costco is great for this): white vinegar, baking soda, borax (20 mile mule team is one brand). I make up 1/3 to 1/2 vinegar/water for spray surface and glass cleaners (can add a tsp of borax for glass cleaner if you want for sparkle). For the best scrub ever, 1/2 borax + 1/2 baking soda. Essential oils are nice, but are expensive. My favorites are using either tea tree or rosemary as a base for antibacterial properties, then adding lavender for scent. Freebie: I do save all my citrus peels and steep them in vinegar for a month. These can then be added to any of the cleaners as a "base." I also use vinegar on my floors.
hlaverdiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you plan or do any shopping online definitely sign up with a rewards program like Ebates or something similar. You'll get a % back for buying what you're going to buy anyway. I have $24 waiting to come back to me in my next check.
OneFishTwoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
justjacqueline
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What about things like PayBox? I'm not exactly sure what that is!
justjacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjacqueline View Post
What about things like PayBox? I'm not exactly sure what that is!
None of us are real sure about paybox. lol But My account has about $500 in it because I'm willing to take a chance. They give you $50 for joining and just log in a few times a day to earn more. There are a few simple surveys (like 2 seconds) you can do each week and check the blog.

They just started an ebay type thing that is a bit scary at the moment. But check it out. We aren't sure what the money is going to translate too, but it's free is even if it's just a little I'll waste ten minutes here and there. lol

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverdiere View Post
I make my own cleaning products. I buy 3 things in the largest sizes I can find (Costco is great for this): white vinegar, baking soda, borax (20 mile mule team is one brand). I make up 1/3 to 1/2 vinegar/water for spray surface and glass cleaners (can add a tsp of borax for glass cleaner if you want for sparkle). For the best scrub ever, 1/2 borax + 1/2 baking soda. Essential oils are nice, but are expensive. My favorites are using either tea tree or rosemary as a base for antibacterial properties, then adding lavender for scent. Freebie: I do save all my citrus peels and steep them in vinegar for a month. These can then be added to any of the cleaners as a "base." I also use vinegar on my floors.
this sounds lovely. is it just for scent or does the citrus serve another purpose?
Old 10-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
doubleddog
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I need to get back in the habit of doing these things, but in the past to earn extra I've sold books on half.com (this is great especially if you live near a college like I used to or have been in school recently and have textbooks you don't want anymore). Their listings are free, and I don't think they ever expire either.

I've also sold crafts I've sewn on etsy.com (this is a little trickier because you have to round up interest in your shop somehow and it costs .15 per listing and listings do expire after a while).

I also have gotten out of the habit but used to be really good about shopping with coupons. Most grocery stores also have a clearance food section where you can find all kinds of amazing discounts on pantry items. You have to learn your store. Often these racks are in obscure parts of the store so it does take some hunting, but they are so worth it if you find them.

I do use swagbucks a lot too. My trick is that I have it set as my homepage to automatically do a search every time I open the internet browser. That's basically the only way I earn points with it, which is super easy (especially since I am chasing a toddler around, so I get on and offline in short snippets throughout the day). Mypoints is good too, but not as good in my opinion. I am slowly racking up points there. I only get points through reading emails. I'm not interested in signing up for "offers" and most of the places I shop online don't give you points through them, so I don't think I've ever gotten points for shopping but maybe someday I'll get around to trying it. I am almost to the point of having earned a $25 amazon gift card and since march I've earned $40 in amazon giftcards on swagbucks, so mypoints is obviously a much slower process, but I don't have the toolbar or anything like that through mypoints so I'm sure I could be earning more if I wanted to but it feels like more work than its worth.
Babywearing, CDing SAHM. I love my DH and my 3 sweet girls, looking forward to meeting team green baby #4 April 2013.
doubleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
grady&finnsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you checked out one of the posts in this thread for thrifty holiday ideas... I got so many great ideas. I like that they are thrifty as well as more meaningful. We just started using cash for groceries as well. I plan my meals and then I estimate how much it will be.. I was a little off tonight, but we also had to pick up a couple of things that I was not expecting to (and DH was with me...so he added a few things). I found it rewarding and empowering. I love the idea of using vinegar and adding the citrus peels.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
Shellyluwho
Registered Users
seller

There are some amazing mama blogs online that have every idea imaginable about saving money! Some not only post links to the latest deals and tell you exactly what stores to go to, but they also post where you can get a coupon to maximize the savings!

My biggest money saver lately has been to start a bare bones budget, down to the last dollar of each of DHs paychecks (I don't work outside of home ATM). It really was difficult until DH got on board, and now we are making much better progress on paying off our debt. When we don't have to make loan payments or CC payments anymore, that will really free our money up for us.

It's a constant battle for me as there are lots of things that I want to buy, but I am trying to make some changes, bit by bit.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #10
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm kind of stuck on this a bit too. I need to sell a quite a few bins of clothing (nearly new womens items... and lots of kids clothes the new and used shop won't take. this alone could buy me and the kids a while new wardrobe. really nice things I just can't bare to donate.