Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
laura_mae99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
no sharing milk post on here

why isn't sharing milk post ok in here any more? if this is going to be the case i for sure wont be on diaperswappers any more... I have donated to a ton of moms on here using diaperswappers and have made some real live long friends... I find this very very sad...

Advertisement

Old 10-22-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
laura_mae99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: no shareing milk post on here

i felt diaperswappers was different then the run of the mill groups like cafemom and such... i thought this was a place where u could find support and kindness and the upmost caring,compassion and support for moms trying there very best... I guess not
Old 10-22-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It makes me sad as well. I was surprised when I saw that pop up.

I think milkshare is great, but as a donor, I find it to time-consuming to have to fill out the application first. If the recipients want info, I have no problem giving it to them. I just don't want to sit down and fill out an application. That's bad, I know. And, for recipients, there is a join fee. Anyway, I thought it was great that DS was helping moms connect and help each other in this important way.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 10-22-2010 at 11:25 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

It was thought that since Diaperswappers can't screen everyone and doesn't know how the milk is handled or if the Mom is disease free it just puts DS is a bad spot. What if a baby who did get milk off here contracted a disease from it? That puts DS in a very bad spot.

We do encourage Moms to donate milk because it is such a wonderful gift.

FTR not everyone agreed on this new rule.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: no sharing milk post on here

I dont think that Milkshare screens anyone either. Its up to you to know that your child can get sick from donated milk, and if you dont know that, then you shouldn't be getting milk from other people.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

disappointed....you can buy sell and trade things a human has pooped in, but can't give away the best thing you can give a child that you can't buy in stores...shame.

Why not have a disclaimer like the one for breast pumps? Or are they no longer permitted either?
Old 10-22-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
laura_mae99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410 View Post
disappointed....you can buy sell and trade things a human has pooped in, but can't give away the best thing you can give a child that you can't buy in stores...shame.

Why not have a disclaimer like the one for breast pumps? Or are they no longer permitted either?
LOL girl u just made my day...
also as a note for above post.. i provide blood work for any and all of mydonated milk. And i have working with my own doctor to fax my info to any and all families,doctors ex. in hopes to help another child out... I do this out of the kindess of my heart cus for one i had a premature child and i know whats its like to not be able to provide... sec. my husbad families are all doctors, nurses and NICU doctors ex. .. and with there love and support have helped push me to donate.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410 View Post

This was my exact thought. Pumps are sold, but they are supposed to be single use. There is that disclaimer at the top. I was thinking there could be something like that stating that DS has nothing to do with it and it's our responsibility.

As for testing, I haven't been asked by either of my recipients to provide blood work, but would be happy to if asked. Milkshare doesn't screen either. They do have a application, but I don't think you have to fill it out and you don't have to prove anything. It's up to the recipient to make sure they are doing proper screening.

I really hope they will consider the disclaimer instead of the ban.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:01 AM   #9
laura_mae99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I really hope they will consider the disclaimer instead of the ban. i sec. that honey...
Old 10-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #10
CallysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Unfortunately my post Looking for human milk was deleted. But here's my side of the story. I've contacted so many people from posts on milkshare. I've gotten a total of 1 responses, and when I wrote her again I never heard back. The only milk I have gotten so far for my unborn baby is thru DS. Some breastfeeding moms who didn't normally donate saw my post and felt compassion on us. One mom is even hand expressing for me! That's the heart of a mom. I have had no luck with milkshare. I try to get to know a person before I receive milk, but it's assumed that it's human milk, there are risks. I doubt I'll see any beetles in the baggies like you can find in recalled formula.

Anyway if it wasn't for the moms willing to donate to me from DS I would not have 500oz stored for my Alexa right now like I do. The interesting thing is my post didn't even start out for me begging for milk. I was merely asking *where* I could get milk since I knew nothing about milkshare at the time or milk banks. The mamas then started offering their bounty.

Laura, who already has 3 kids, planning to move across country in a week and already pumps for Bekki offered to pump! I would have never met Laura had I not seen her on DS and wouldve never considered donated milk. I was not educated on it but saw Laura donated and I pmed her out of curiosity. DS is about a community of honest mommies. It's not just for buying and selling but a way for mommies to connect and help one another.

Last edited by CallysMommy; 10-23-2010 at 10:52 AM.
CallysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote