Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #11
CallysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: no sharing milk post on here

Sorry for double post

Advertisement

Last edited by CallysMommy; 10-23-2010 at 10:45 AM.
CallysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

I really hope that DS will consider a disclaimer instead of a ban, too. DS has been a great resource for a lot of moms to give and receive the gift of human milk. I know that as a mom who needs donor milk for my babies, I feel more comfortable getting it from someone here on DS, and some DS mamas would rather donate to someone in this group, too.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #13
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallysMommy View Post
Unfortunately my post Looking for human milk was deleted. But here's my side of the story. I've contacted so many people from posts on milkshare. I've gotten a total of 1 responses, and when I wrote her again I never heard back. The only milk I have gotten so far for my unborn baby is thru DS. Some breastfeeding moms who didn't normally donate saw my post and felt compassion on us. One mom is even hand expressing for me! That's the heart of a mom. I have had no luck with milkshare. I try to get to know a person before I receive milk, but it's assumed that it's human milk, there are risks. I doubt I'll see any beetles in the baggies like you can find in recalled formula.

Anyway if it wasn't for the moms willing to donate to me from DS I would not have 500oz stored for my Alexa right now like I do. The interesting thing is my post didn't even start out for me begging for milk. I was merely asking *where* I could get milk since I knew nothing about milkshare at the time or milk banks. The mamas then started offering their bounty.

Laura, who already has 3 kids, planning to move across country in a week and already pumps for Bekki offered to pump! I would have never met Laura had I not seen her on DS and wouldve never considered donated milk. I was not educated on it but saw Laura donated and I pmed her out of curiosity. DS is about a community of honest mommies. It's not just for buying and selling but a way for mommies to connect and help one another.
What a wonderfully heart warming story. Interesting about milkshare. I haven't officially joined there yet. I'm not sure if I want to. It seems like it will be more time consuming. I can donate and want to donate because I have struggled in the past with low supply. I know the intense heart ache that comes with wanting to "just feed your baby." But, I have 5 young children. I don't feel like I really have the time to seek anyone out. I thought it was great that I came across someone one here, where I already frequent. I'm glad you were able to find help.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #14
Barbarap
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use Milkshare to donate and didn't realize there was a spot on here or would have started here first. I've donated over 1200 oz so far and DS is 4 months. Hopefully lots more to come!

I really hope DS decides to add the disclaimer and let momma's connect here!
Barbarap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #15
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I also wanted to add a lot of mamas on here end up meeting face to face, if they see the mama who is donating, they can make their own decision from there..DS is really more like a match.com for them. I realize you can't tell disease from looking at a person, but come on..no one is pumping breast milk so they can maliciously pass on something. Nearly every mama has been tested for blood born pathogens when they have a child so they are up to date with their medical condition.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #16
Willows
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have to acknowledge that I had a really bad experience with someone I donated too on DS who first shared her sad tale and then solicited for donors. Unfortunately it really soured me on the process even though I met this Mom in person.

I ended up donating on milkshare and through a local AP group and had better luck there.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:01 AM   #17
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree completely! It is up to Admin though. As a Milk Donor it is very saddening.

I know that Admin said you can offer up milk then take the "transaction" off DS but you cannot ask for donations since asking for donations is not allowed on here.

I think the disclaimer is a fabulous idea. Ask Admin, maybe they will change it.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:54 AM   #18
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calideedle View Post
I agree completely! It is up to Admin though. As a Milk Donor it is very saddening.

I know that Admin said you can offer up milk then take the "transaction" off DS but you cannot ask for donations since asking for donations is not allowed on here.

I think the disclaimer is a fabulous idea. Ask Admin, maybe they will change it.
So, if I had milk, I could start a thread asking if anyone needed it? Then, we could email or call instead of PM'ing here? That is better than nothing. But, I do hope they reconsider.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:20 AM   #19
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was so sad to discover this new policy. I never considered being a donor until a very recent post about someone in my area looking for donor milk. I emailed that mama and I'm now working on building a stash for her. I only found her because of DS, I only considered donating because of DS. I went to find the thread about her the other day because a friend is also considering donating to her. I wanted to send that friend a link to the original thread. That is when I discovered the new policy, the thread I was looking for had been deleted. It honestly made me a little sick. I was fuming. I really though DS was different and I'm still so disappointed.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:39 AM   #20
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

In the past I've used donor milk for my now 23 month old and found a couple donors on here.

Milkshare doesn't screen donors.. Its up to the recipient to be cautious.

As a new mama to a 31 weeker and struggling with supply (I'm exclusively pumping again due to him requiring thickened feeds) this new policy upsets me as well.
LunaBirch is offline   Reply With Quote