Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2006, 09:28 AM   #1
blessed3times
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Please bear with me...I'm new!

Hi everyone,
I am sort of new to cloth diapers and am sadly, beginning to get very frustrated. So far, I have tried Kushies, Little Lambs and some other kind that I can't remember--Simply something? Anyway, I decided that none of those worked for my son. I figured I would just go with prefolds and wraps/covers. I don't know if it is my prefold or my cover that is the problem. But my son pees a lot--I mean a lot!! Everything I have put on him has leaked. Everything. I have one prorap and 2 Bummis wraps. Oh yeah, I had one Dappi wrap that leaked real bad so I only used it a time or two. I did buy some DoodleBottoms contours that I really like. My son did wear one of those for his 3 hour nap with a prorap and didn't pee through.

I am really just wondering if those of you who use prefolds and wraps can tell me the absolute best ones to use on a boy who pees so much!! And especially tell me what you use for night, please!! For real, one day I had to change him after 15 minutes. That was with the Dappi cover and a prefold. As far as my prefolds go, I think they are probably Gerber. I used them for a long time as spit up cloths. I decided a few months ago to start cloth diapering and pulled those out of storage. They all came from a thrift store. I only brought those out after I had spent too much for the Kushies and Little Lambs. I wanted to try prefolds but didn't want to admit my wasting money on the others to my husband.

I really need some help!! My son is almost 17 months old and we are thinking about having another baby, so I want to have this down pat before we do!!

Thanks for reading (and helping!).

Lori

Advertisement

blessed3times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:47 AM   #2
Mommy2H
Registered Users
seller

Re: Please bear with me...I'm new!

The prefold is more likely to be the problem than the cover. I tried to get by with the gerber prefolds and failed miserably. They are nowhere near as absorbant as the indian prefolds we now have. If you need to get by with what you have, you can try doubling the prefold in the wraps (putting two together trifolded) but it's very bulky. Or maybe try trifolding the prefold and use it as a doubler in the kushies, The little lambs don't work for me either. Thankfully I bought them used, cheap. You could also try the trifolded prefold in the LLs. If you can afford to, look into some CPFs or IPFs to use with your current stash of wraps. HTH a little.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:59 AM   #3
jodi5
Registered Users

Lori, I'm so sorry. You are going through exactly what I have. I used Kushies with my first son and they worked great for him. I needed to replace some worn out ones since I had a baby boy in November and thought I would get some nice ones and purchased a bunch of Little Lambs. These did not work for us. My son would leak within 40 minutes, sometimes less. They worked a bit better with a prefold but still not great. I felt so bad about having spent all this money trying to fix somethign that could not be fixed. Like you, I decided to try prefolds and covers so that it would not cost me that much more and now I LOVE trifolding prefolds.

So, I would recommend you either increase the contours you have or get some prefolds, either Chinese or Indian prefolds. They are not that expensive and will likely hold up better for your son than the Gerber. I purchsed mine at http://stores.ebay.com/Granitesmiths-Diaper-Store . I have mostly unbleached and I think they are better personally alhtough I don't think there is supposed to be a difference.

For covers, I have been using Bummis SWW which has worked well. Your Bummis and prowrap covers would probably work well with a good prefold or your Doodlebottoms. I also just got Wiggle Worm Bottoms. These are super cute and hold a prefold really well. Amy is wonderful to work with and her prices are very reasonable. I purchased a size medium and have been using premium prefolds. I am finding they are too big and that my infants fit better so likely the regular size Indian prefold would work best. I also have a tootle shell on the way that I have heard great things about and has a one year leakproof guarantee so might be worth a try for you. I have heard a few people find these are wonderful for night time with a trifolded prefold and a doubler. Perhaps your Gerber prefolds would work as a doubler? Here are the links to the mama made covers I'm using:

www.wigglewormbottoms.com
www.tootleshells.com

Best of luck. I know it is so hard. Let me know if you have any questions.

Jodi
jodi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:03 AM   #4
jodi5
Registered Users

Really, I definitely agree with the previous poster. The first step is to get some good prefolds if you can swing it. In all likelihood the covers you have will work well with them and you will feel a weight lifting. I know I did when I switched.
jodi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:04 AM   #5
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Can you slowly sell off the diapers that aren't working for you and replace them with some others that might do better? That's what I had to do...I tried tons of different and just kept buying/selling/trading till I found what I liked. I've heard a lot of people complain about Little Lambs but I've also heard people who love them so maybe you can get a decent price for them, especially if they're in like-new condition.
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
lovencloth
Registered Users
seller

Location: MN, I have cats, but they don't smoke, and neither do we.

Gerber are not the best prefolds, and I am wondering if you used fabric softener on them? Softener will make them liquid repelant. If you don't want to buy anything new, you could try stripping them and adding absorbancy in the fold of the pf by adding whatever you have that is absorbant (just to see if it helps). You can find stripping instructions on my website here is the link, I think it is the third or fourth paragraph. http://www.littlemstore.com/information.php?info_id=5&osCsid=d98a7926d078195cc 96311514e41b745

Otherwise, MANY mama's have a lot of luck with granitesmith on ebay, very good prefolds and very reasonable prices. Good luck with cding and please don't give up!
Old 04-25-2006, 12:59 PM   #7
Bridget Riedell
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh dear, I'm so very sorry. I started out with Gerber flats and prefolds and failed miserably with my first two dd's. I researched on diaperpin something major before trying to cloth diaper with my third. I'm so glad I did. Night and day difference. I use a hemp fitted under wool and fleece. So much improved. Now of course I would love to buy more fitteds, but can't really afford them so, I'm going the Chinese Prefold and Indian Prefold route snappied or pinned under my current covers. I'll let you know how it goes. Using the fitteds and the wool/fleece I have no leaks day or night. This morning my daughters pjs were damp from the Aritstocrat, but no wet. Her diaper was soaked! and I waited awhile to change her this morning after she woke. Maybe I need to relanolize, it's been awhile. But still, dampness I can handle. The wool covers were an investment, but so worth it.

I would advise you get some quality prefolds. I got mine from diaper junction online. Pretty good price. I think Cotton Babies has some good prices too. If you can afford it, do that dear. It really is a big difference. You'd still be saving money hand over fist compared to disposables.

In Christ, Bridget
Bridget Riedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:57 PM   #8
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds was a super soaker too and I had horrible leak issues until I started using two layer fleece (specifically, windpro) covers. They were my return to sanity until he started solid food and his peeing calmed down some. He still wets a lot and I change often but it's not anything like it was.

Good luck!
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:04 PM   #9
EmmalinesMom
Registered Users
seller

Lots of good info!

When I used mostly prefolds (I still use the occasional pf, but mostly fitteds and pockets right now), I'd use either chinese prefolds with a good hemp doubler for overnight, or a hemp fleece prefold. (Like Cotton Babies offers.) I used BSWW, as well as the deluxe Stacinators at night and rarely had leaks.

Have fun cloth diapering! Once you get into a good routine, it's so easy and fun!
Old 04-25-2006, 07:21 PM   #10
christinewith4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thumbs down Re: Please bear with me...I'm new!

.....well.....Little Lambs...I see I am not the only one who fell for that one. I wish I would have known about this site before I made my purchase...
Yep, I bought a bunch on Ebay, it took FOREVER to even get them AND she went me the wrong items AND I STILL have not recd 1/2 my order and she refuses to return any emails, etc... Ok, little lambs OS AIO's, 1st it took me like 20 minutes to figure out all the snaps that were EVERYWHERE and came with no directions... THEN they say, they fit to "8-35lbs".... yeah right... my boys are scrawny- my 2yr old is 24 lbs and the Little Lambs barely fit on the largest setting, and my boys are NOT heavy wetters, yet my 2yr old managed to saturate through the entire cover with one "wet" after only like 2min of having it on WITH one of those "hemp super booster"things in it, along with the insert that comes with the diaper...
And the baby, well, he's also NOT a heavy wetter- and did pretty much the same thing...

An example of how much my boys wet: I DO typically use the Gerber-type flat folds and a cover and the baby doesnt even wet all the way through one. AND I put the "fitteds", I believe thats what they are called, (the velcro diapers that supposed to need covers) I put those on my boys W/O a cover and they do not wet all the way through them. (I do change them as soon as they go, so I'm changing dipes like every 10min ) And yet, as I stated, they seemed to go right through those Little Lambs AIO's like a faucet...
It's frustarting b/c the colors looked so cool in the pics, I was hoping to use them and just a T-shirt for the summer...

So, I am back to the prefolds & flat folds(the kind that people use for burp cloths) with basic covers, and/or the cloth diapers that velcro...

Sincerely,
christinewith4~
~Michael-10 1/2yrs
~Christopher-5yrs
~Thomas-2yrs
~Andrew-3mths
christinewith4 is offline   Reply With Quote