Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2006, 06:10 AM   #11
sunshineandlove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please bear with me...I'm new!

If your LL are the AIOs, this is what worked for me.
I would put half a microfiber towel (cheap at sam's or walmart) folded up and lay in the dipe. I had bought some LL hemp ovals and I would lay one of those on top of the microfiber towel. I don't know if they sell them anymore but you could use a full microfiber towel. Then I would fold the hemp insert that came with them in half instead of 3. and lay that on top. Then I would put a piece of fleece as a liner on top. Then I'd put it on my son. That was the only way they wouldn't leak but they did work well with the added stuff. They were just too poofy for my taste.

Advertisement

sunshineandlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:46 AM   #12
Tyrity
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think you've gotten great advice and info If PF's are what your wanting to use then I'd agree with everyone else, get some DSQ Chinese or Indian prefolds to use, the covers you have are good ones, so when using a good quality PF with them your leaking issues should be cured. I dont know anything about the other dipes you have as I've never tried them, but have heard not so great things about the LL's but dont have any personal experience with them.
Good luck in finding something that works for your sweetie....my boys are supersoakers too and it took forever to find what works for us...we use Chinese prefolds with hemp doublers and that works great for us
Tyrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:01 AM   #13
sunshineandlove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

PS. I forgot to add that microfiber should not touch baby's skin.
sunshineandlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:05 PM   #14
rawkstarwife
Registered Users

Well hon, I hate to sound like a diaper snob (because believe me, I'm so anti-snob it's ridiculous!), but I think what's causing your problem is that you're using really crappy diapers. Kushies, Gerber, and Little Lambs are all pretty much bottom-of-the-barrel stuff...not that there's anything wrong with that, but like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

I can't afford the nicer dipes like Fuzzi Bunz myself, so I'm not going to throw a bunch of brand names at you. Besides, choosing the right dipe is really a trial-and-error process. A good fitted may be the best way to go, because they're cheaper than pockets but you can still add as many doublers as your baby needs. If your budget is limited to what seem to be low-quality dipes, maybe you can try some WAHM dipes that will be a lot cheaper than designer stuff but just as good in the long run. My dipes (with the exception of my prefolds) are all WAHM dipes that I got used, and they are still holding together great after diapering my son to toddlerhood! And I got them for much less than I might have spent if I'd decided to go with brand names.

If you like the idea of a prefold, I REALLY REALLY recommend Chinese or Indian prefolds, they are the same thing as a Gerber only they are bigger, more durable and a thousand times more absorbant! I use mine as nighttime doublers for my supersoaker toddler, so that should give you a good idea of how awesome they are! They're also pretty cheap. Shop around on Ebay or here on the FS posts for some lots.

For doublers, you'd be amazed what can work really well. I have a whole bunch of flannel WAHM doublers that I also use as mama pads, and about five of those will hold my son for about two hours. Regular handtowels or dishrags work well too. I also like to fold up his old flannel recieving blankets into thirds and use those as doublers. And yes, I even have those terrible Gerber prefolds, but they are the LAST thing I reach for when I need to fill a diaper. I'd have to use three of them folded into thirds to get any kind of soaking power, but that's just too much bulk. Try to score some good cheap hemp doublers if you can, because hemp is really absorbant but not too bulky. (Just don't order Little Lambs hemp doublers, because you;ll wind up with fleece ones instead. Guess she thinks her customers won't know the difference. )

As for covers, you made the right choice with BSWWs. They are the only cover that I stick with. I've tried Prowraps and Dappi wraps too. Dappi wraps are utter GARBAGE. Prowraps are okay, but they just can't compare to BSWW. They're inexpensive, too: only around $8 for the white ones (depending on which website you buy from).

I hope you find the right dipes for you soon. I can understand how frustrating it would be to try to do cloth with such shoddy diapers! Don't give up, though!
rawkstarwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:11 PM   #15
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

To put it simply, you need some pockets and maybe some GOOD fitteds!