Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #11
newtwinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Synagis....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DommysMommy View Post
That's why I'm not so hesitant either. I was just perturbed at the doc for not even asking me. They don't do the shots at my ped's office, so I have to figure out where we'll have to go every month.
Congrats on your twins. Why were they so early?
We require parental consent as with any vac so no way a baby would receive it without the parents being okay with it.

As for where to get the shots, check with the local hossys, especially any children's hossys. My hossy does monthly 'clinics' where the shot is available.

My twins were early thanks to unstoppable PTL. I contracted regularly (2-4/hr) since 18 weeks. My cervix held out until an abrupt shortening at the end of my 26th week. I was admitted,spent some time on mag, and then transfered to antepartum on long term meds for the PTL. They obviously didn't work as I progressed preciptously the morning I delivered and ended up 8cm before anybody noticed. They were born 30 minutes later by CS. One is doing well and the other not so well, but we are hopeful at least one will be home by Christmas!

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #12
SevenFinns
Registered Users
Formerly: rebshields
seller

My 2 mo. old just got his first Synagis shot yesterday. We didn't even consider not getting it. He has to have surgery in a month for his heart, and the last thing we want to do is further risk his life if a vaccine can help. We feel this way about all of the vaccines we get for our children, and we especially need to protect this little one. He will have enough to recover from; we don't want to add RSV to the list.
SevenFinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #13
DommysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtwinmom View Post
We require parental consent as with any vac so no way a baby would receive it without the parents being okay with it.

As for where to get the shots, check with the local hossys, especially any children's hossys. My hossy does monthly 'clinics' where the shot is available.

My twins were early thanks to unstoppable PTL. I contracted regularly (2-4/hr) since 18 weeks. My cervix held out until an abrupt shortening at the end of my 26th week. I was admitted,spent some time on mag, and then transfered to antepartum on long term meds for the PTL. They obviously didn't work as I progressed preciptously the morning I delivered and ended up 8cm before anybody noticed. They were born 30 minutes later by CS. One is doing well and the other not so well, but we are hopeful at least one will be home by Christmas!

My NICU does NOT require parental consent with synagis. It's considered "basic care" which we consented to from day one.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #14
newtwinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DommysMommy View Post
My NICU does NOT require parental consent with synagis. It's considered "basic care" which we consented to from day one.
That is CRAZY! Makes me wonder what else they consider 'basic care'?
Old 11-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #15
Little Miss Kate
Registered Users
Formerly: JAMs Wife
seller

DS got his first shot yesterday. Better safe then sorry. I do not want to end up back at the hospital with him!

My BLOG - Check out the Giveaways going on now!!!
Little Miss Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #16
nicumama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 32 weeker (now 2years old) had the Synagis shots her first year. I was sent a letter from the NICU where she was born detailing RSV and the Synagis shots. Her Paed was able to get it in his office and she got it there. She didnt seem to have any after effects from the shots. My feeling, better safe than sorry especially with RSV and preemies!

Single Mommy to Graciela (07-05-08) Born at 32 weeks
and my furrbabies Eeyore, Snicklefritz and Chance.Home Daycare Provider , . My princess is a cloth diaper Graduate! (4/11)Proudly Canadian, with American Blood, Nascar Fan!!!

ISO: Gymboree Girls 4T clothing
IHA: Cloth diapers, girls clothes 2-3T.
nicumama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #17
kristinc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

my quads started coming home from the nicu at the start of flu season last year. the pedi ordered the synagis and i debated long and hard about it. our insurance only covered 2 months worth and then we would have to cover jan-april. to the tune of $14,000 in the end we gave them 1 months worth and then i decided against any more. we decided that since their risk was low (no other children, very few contact with outside people) that we would just continue to be extremely diligent with hand washing and besides our parents we didn't have anyone coming in contact with the babies. We were extremely lucky...none of them got any respiratory illnesses...thank goodness. I have heard many horror stories and RSV
kristinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #18
ransom
Registered Users

i'm really thankful for the synagis shot (my 31 weeker just got his second shot today-- and today is his actual due date! YAY!). i am hesitant about any shots, but RSV is really common and really serious in preemies. i don't feel like such a nervous wreck having my family over to see the baby now! =)
ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #19
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

kai "not premature enough" by 3 days guess we will be hibernating for the winter
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #20
Leighjean
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by irelandclover View Post
My son does not qualify by the "standard" but our pedi is pushing it through because he is failure to thrive and we haven't been able to rule out the cause yet. My niece was in the hospital for a very long time last year due to RSV and pneumonia, so we will give be giving him the shot once we get formal approval.
We were denied as well. Our pulmonologist recommended a low dose steroid through a chamber 2x a day to help keep his airway open in the event of any respiratory illness. My son had tracheamalasia and is showing signs of RAD
( reactive airway disease). He used the nebulizer A LOT last winter! We are hoping to be one step ahead with this treatment. The Dr said that here in NJ he sees preemies hospitalized with, or without Synagis. My son is 15 months (13 months corrected)
How did they diagnose failure to thrive? My son is gaining slowly! He is 16.5 lbs. Not on the charts yet.
Leighjean is offline   Reply With Quote