Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #21
Leighjean
Registered Users

Re: Synagis....

Quote:
Originally Posted by irelandclover View Post
My son does not qualify by the "standard" but our pedi is pushing it through because he is failure to thrive and we haven't been able to rule out the cause yet. My niece was in the hospital for a very long time last year due to RSV and pneumonia, so we will give be giving him the shot once we get formal approval.
We were denied as well. Our pulmonologist recommended a low dose steroid through a chamber 2x a day to help keep his airway open in the event of any respiratory illness. My son had tracheamalasia and is showing signs of RAD
( reactive airway disease). He used the nebulizer A LOT last winter! We are hoping to be one step ahead with this treatment. The Dr said that here in NJ he sees preemies hospitalized with, or without Synagis. My son is 15 months (13 months corrected)
How did they diagnose failure to thrive? My son is gaining slowly! He is 16.5 lbs. Not on the charts yet.

Advertisement

Leighjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #22
Leighjean
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicumama View Post
My 32 weeker (now 2years old) had the Synagis shots her first year. I was sent a letter from the NICU where she was born detailing RSV and the Synagis shots. Her Paed was able to get it in his office and she got it there. She didnt seem to have any after effects from the shots. My feeling, better safe than sorry especially with RSV and preemies!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeryGnomeHome View Post
We didn't vaccinate until after age 2 for both preemies but the youngest qualified for and got Synagis. My middle daughter was a 34weeker who got RSV at 39w GA and ended up hospitalized and incurring lung damage. She was very very very sick. I would not hesitate to do synagis if my child qualified.
Was there a specific reason you waited until after age 2 to vax? DS is 15 months (13 months corrected). I have heard mixed information regarding preemies and the regular vax schedule. I've debated waiting until after 2.

Lauren

Mom to DD 17, DS 9, DS 7, DS 5
And our miracle 32 weeker DS 1 year

Homeschooling, CDing, Babywearing, Co-sleeping, crunchy, BLW, Jesus loving mommy!
Leighjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #23
MyFourStars
Registered Users

My Mood:

My third preemie was the only one who qualified for the shots, but my older two preemies got it two seasons in a row each, and both requiring hospitalization. It's an awful awful illness and one that's extremely common. It sends full term babies to the hospital. I'm praying that my newest babe doesn't catch it.

My Twilight FanFic-Finding Rose *Updated Chapter 13!*
MyFourStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #24
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFourStars View Post
My third preemie was the only one who qualified for the shots, but my older two preemies got it two seasons in a row each, and both requiring hospitalization. It's an awful awful illness and one that's extremely common. It sends full term babies to the hospital. I'm praying that my newest babe doesn't catch it.
im so scared of kai getting rsv my 3 week old niece was tested for it friday and she was 41 weeks. kai is still soooo little (iugr) and im pissed off that he doesnt get the vax.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #25
stephanieco
Registered Users

My youngest was born at 27 weeks and she will be getting her third dosage this month. I didn't even think twice about it.
stephanieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:54 AM   #26
momnb4
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DS who just turned two had the vaccine for his first winter.He was born at 34 weeks and weighed 3 14.He still ended up getting rsv and was hospitalized when he was 3 months old but recovered quickly so Iam glad we got the vaccine.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #27
Zepp
DS Addict
Formerly: K*B*T*M*
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, we did last year and will do it once a month at least through February.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #28
Crystalftw
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Please, please do your research. I know it's hard to find negative things on synagis but it *is* there. Additionally, if you research it further you will see what the studies conclude about the effectiveness.
<3-Crystal *Radically on fire for Christ!* Continually thanking the Lord for my Navy man & 5 children; my First-Born Son(7), my Surprise Pretty Girl 4/15/11, & my 3 in heaven. My blessed life!!Get the "swag" wag!
Crystalftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #29
DommysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalftw View Post
Please, please do your research. I know it's hard to find negative things on synagis but it *is* there. Additionally, if you research it further you will see what the studies conclude about the effectiveness.
Can you point me in the right direction?
Old 12-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #30
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalftw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DommysMommy View Post
Can you point me in the right direction?
Ditto! I am 26 week pregnant and most likely going to have my 3rd preemie soon and I am undecided since she'll most likely be born in January-February. My other 2 preemies were born at 33 weeks and my pediatrician acted like it was no big deal and since we don't vax I didn't consider it at the time, 1 has had RSV one has not. I am thinking this one might be earlier than the 33 weekers though and need to start looking into it.
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote