Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #31
azmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Synagis....

My 33 weeker will get his 2nd dose on Monday. My 3 year old got RSV and was horribly sick and has lung damage from it also, so I made sure to get my DS his synagis on time.

Advertisement

Mama to my 4 amazing babies...
azmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #32
azmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilymomma View Post
I was also perturbed at all the things the NICU PRESUMED was ok to do with my kids without asking... sugar water, dressing them for their first time without me there, giving their first baths without us there, just about giving formula against our directions. Frustrating for sure- and giving a vaccine would set me off (even if it was a vaccine I wanted them to have!).
I totally agree! They drove me nuts in the NICU. I didnt get to do any of the firsts with my DS. They did it all and acted like it was no big deal! I went home and cried my eyes out many times.
I am now in school to be an RN and i'm going to specialize in NICU so I can change that for at least the babies I care for.

Mama to my 4 amazing babies...
azmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:01 PM   #33
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

anna-mackenzie had rsv at 12 weeks and it was AWFUL. she has also had it every year since i havent read up on the side effects(bc kai doesnt qualify) but i know it cna cause asthma and such, BUT my niece that had RSV(no vax) has asthma so that risk of lung damage is there either way. if there was a chance that it could prevent my child from getting rsv and the benefits outweighed the risks id do it. especially since you have kids in school look into it. im anti-vax and that is the only one i would have even considered for kai at this point.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #34
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmama24 View Post
I totally agree! They drove me nuts in the NICU. I didnt get to do any of the firsts with my DS. They did it all and acted like it was no big deal! I went home and cried my eyes out many times.
I am now in school to be an RN and i'm going to specialize in NICU so I can change that for at least the babies I care for.
its not just the NICU. my 3 week old niece was born at home then taken to the hospital to be checked and i had to literally block the nurse from giving her the vit. k shot. my sis was across the room and they didnt even bother to ask. just pulled out the syringe and prepped it. i shoved my hand over the baby and said, "what the heck is that." then proceeded to explain that we didnt give consent for any shots
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
Old 12-12-2010, 11:42 AM   #35
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We were denied too. DFS was FTT, G tube, and had H1N1, and he STILL didn't get it. He was a 34 weeker.

He got RSV at 9 months old (Jan. 2009) and spent 8 days at the children's hospital with it. It was horrible. I would love to go back and let the Medicaid staff know what their denial did. Now, DFS has severe asthma, and at one point was on a neb 6 times a day last summer (4 albuterol and 2 pulmicort) plus prednisone to get it cleared up. He coughed til he vomitted. He still is on pulmicort daily, and albuterol as needed, plus a rescue inhaler.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 12-12-2010 at 11:44 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #36
Crystalftw
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DommysMommy View Post
Can you point me in the right direction?
Google: "synagis death" "synagis adverse effects" "synagis effectiveness"
<3-Crystal *Radically on fire for Christ!* Continually thanking the Lord for my Navy man & 5 children; my First-Born Son(7), my Surprise Pretty Girl 4/15/11, & my 3 in heaven. My blessed life!!Get the "swag" wag!
Crystalftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #37
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

I am finding some bad stuff about the Synagis...here is 104 suspected deaths:

http://www.druglib.com/adverse-react...ousness_death/

As far as the effectiveness I can only find things saying it is pretty effective.

http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/14278e.htm

But I know there are a lot of preemie deaths as a result of RSV too...I wish I had a magic answer. I have had two 33 week babies and both have had RSV and double pneumonia and it was horrible they neither one had the shots because one of them was born April 1st at the end of RSV season and the other was born August 4th and would be 5+ months old during RSV season, the pedi never pushed it but this time I am expecting a Jan-Feb baby...I have a feeling I need to at least seriously look in to it

I wish I had a magic answer...I guess I am finding some bad and good things I have to see if the benefits outweigh the risk now. Boo!
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog

Last edited by AnnaG01; 12-15-2010 at 04:28 PM.
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #38
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i wonder how many of those babies had other health issues? i would NEVER vax a baby who couldnt even be safely discharged but they do i wonder if there was another issue that made the vax react that way
but yes its a tough decision. if kai was a dec/jan/feb baby i would probably not vax, just hibernate. but since he is 7 months, if he had qualified i would have done it bc he has no other health issues.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #39
mama2emalee
Registered Users

my daughter was born at 32.5 weeks and our insurance DENIED it for my daughter! she would've gotten it at her 6 month appt in october. we've been lucky and she hasnt been sick at all, except now she's got a runny stuffy nose but i think its teething related.
mama2emalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #40
batsilvermoon
Registered Users
Formerly:batmomof3
seller

my son got it for his first 3 years... I like you was concerned at first but but my concerns were quickly thrown away when the benefits out weighed risks... he never got rsv and I am greatly thankfull to the med... my 36 weeker ended up getting rsv n spent time in the hospital it was not fun n very scary...
batsilvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote