Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
tuhraycee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Angry Work won't allow my mini fridge??

Ok, I've had my mini fridge at work in preparation for storing breastmilk and pump parts between feedings for 8 months now. Suddenly, one week into my maternity leave, my boss wants it gone.

What am I going to do if it's an issue when I get back?? A big cooler to store it in my office isn't going to be any better than a fridge. And my pump breaks will take even longer if I have to clean the parts each time.

Ugh! As if I wasn't dreading going back already!

Advertisement

WOHM to a 7-year old boy and a Nov. 2010 baby girl!

ISO: large Thirsties FF, medium or large FB
tuhraycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:
Re: Work won't allow my mini fridge??

What is their issue with the fridge?
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
mookie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It is a electricity issue. Offices simply are not wired to accommodate the additional demand from mini fridges. Honestly, the ice pack I kept in the cooler compartment with the pump was sufficient for me. I just wiped the pump parts clean with a paper towel knowing that milk that has never been refrigerated stores for a long time.

I know it sucks.
mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

I know a lot of places won't allow a mini fridge. Is there a fridge in the building at all? Maybe in the lunch area? If so I would use that if you really want to put milk and parts in the fridge. Otherwise, (like a pp said) I stored my milk and parts in my pump bag. I did rinse my parts in the sink but the bathroom was not far from my office.
Mama to ds '08, dd '10, due w/#3 5/13! wife to Missing my angels 6/07, 10/07, 3/12
Let's swag! SWAG friends!
wolffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ugh, such a pain...but I'm betting that it's an electricity issue. FWIW, when I was pumping I worked 12 hour shifts at the firehouse and would keep the milk in a small cooler packed with ice packs. By the time my shift was over, the milk was still cool. I would take a wet papertowel or wash cloth and wipe the pump out for those times, or if I could sneak out I'd wash it.

Is there a fridge anywhere else in the building that you could use, like a lunch area or a common area? I would think that putting the bottles in a small cooler with a note on top "tuhraycee's breastmilk" would deter any thefts.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

This happened where I used to work too. It turns out that they were really well not ok with BFing or pumping. I used it to my advantage and came up with a plan. I was going to store my milk in the lunch room fridge, but it was going to be in a container that was well very BFing friendly. It was going to start off as a standard lunch box or cooler with a note that it was breast Milk and please do not touch or move as this could add unneeded air bubbles. Then in order to make sure that nosy people minded their own business, I got a cheap luggage lock to keep them out. I just had a sense that they would want to know how much I was pumping and that was not going to happen. Then I thought why not add graphics so I did, nothing more that what you would find in a baby magazine, in fact that is where I got them. I made that lunch box just to spite them and it worked. I took it in on my way to get my mini fridge, you know for some odd reason I got to keep my fridge.

Try to find a way for them to want you to have the mini fridge.
or try explaining the loss of time for cleaning parts. you could easily show them the steam clean bags that take 2-3 minutes plus. All those little minutes add up.

Hope it works out well for you.
Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I rinse my parts but don't wash them at work. I just keep them in my pump bag at my desk. I have a cooler section of my pump bag with cold packs that keeps my milk cold enough.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
Smalls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's also probably a fire hazard. Minifridges suck a lot of electricity and if the wire (of a non work-issued item) is frayed or something it could cause a fire. We're not allowed to have heaters, fans or mini-fridges for this exact reason.

I've been back at work pumping for 2 months. I use the cooler bag that came with my Medela PIS and one big ice pack. My milk stays cold from 7:00am until 5:00pm. I also bought a box of the Medela part wipes--they clean just like soap and water and contain no alcohol or chemicals. I just wipe everything down and shove it back in the pump bag. They are kinda pricey, but totally worth it.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
amanda_rocks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

at toys r us there is a spongebob BATTERY operated mini fridge (I know- kids stuff- but if there is one there must be more) I have never used it but I saw it and chuckled.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #10
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_rocks View Post
at toys r us there is a spongebob BATTERY operated mini fridge (I know- kids stuff- but if there is one there must be more) I have never used it but I saw it and chuckled.
I think I saw a Coke - A - Cola one on ebay They can get pricey for adult ones
Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote