Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
jamomx4
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Another eczema question..edited: look at pics??

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccatown View Post
My son had terrible eczema and nothing worked. I finally dropped gluten and wheat from my diet and it cleared up completely. I no longer breastfeed but he still has a gluten-free diet and the eczema has not returned. Every once in awhile we will give him something that has gluten in it and he will have a break out.

Our doctor never once mentioned that he might be allergic to gluten and I wasn't satisfied with applying a steroid indefinitely. I had to do my own research. Good Luck!

Hmmm that's interesting! I'll have to look into that too...Thx

Advertisement

jamomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #12
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:

Since its not an emergency I can't call my pediatrician until Monday. I tried slathering my baby's face in vaseline and a little bit of lanolin and put her down for a nap. When she got up, the redness was almost competely gone though it was still a little bit bumpy. Then I nursed her and after I was done, her face was red and irritated again! Maybe it is our laundry detergent and when her cheek is pressed against my arm while I nurse her it irritates her skin and gives her eczema?

We really can't afford any fancy detergent but I always buy whatever "free and clear" detergent is on sale. Right now we use All Free & Clear on everything, diapers, her clothes, our clothes, and always double rinse. Do you think that could be the cause of the eczema? But its nowhere else on her body, JUST her cheeks!

What detergents work well with your LOs with eczema? I would be willing to spend a little more on detergent if it will clear up her face!

Any thoughts?
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #13
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our pedi said Cetaphil, too. Ds has it, and his main trigger is peanuts in my diet. I switched to a homemade detergent (Fels Naptha, Borax, washing soda, and baking soda) and it didn't really make a big difference but he seems to have less flareups from rubbing on my shoulder now. I still use Tide on his diapers though. Nothing else gets them clean enough in our minerally water. If he still has it when he's 1 he'll go for official allergy testing to see if there are any other triggers since he still flares up sometimes.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
Baltic Creations
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I HIGHLY suggest CJ's BUTTer!! It works amazingly well for eczema ( so does amber with added gemstones). But I have let many mamas know about cj's and I think all of them have had nothing but excellent results!
Old 12-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:

That definitely looks like excema - both of my children have it, and quite severely. Now that it is winter time, they get lots of flares. I was advised by my Dr. to not bathe them super frequently (we bathe every other day) and lube them up really well after a bath. We use Aveeno Oatmeal Bath during the winter and then wash them with Aveeno Dry Skin wash. I have tried just about every dry skin/excema lotion on the market, and actually I have gotten the best results from using The Body Shop's Shea Nut Body Butter - its extremely thick and it stays on the skin for longer than lotions.

In the instances when my kids have a REALLY bad patch, I have to use a prescription steroid cream to treat the area until its healed.

I use Simplicity detergent - I buy it at our Walmart and its not terribly expensive! The problem with excema, is every kids skin is different, and there is a lot of trial and error when it comes to finding lotions and washes that won't irritate them! HTH!!
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #16
jamomx4
Registered Users
seller
seller

When dd was an infant it was only her face that broke out too. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the All free and clear. That's what my brother and SIL use and when dd wore one of her cousins outfits she broke out worse then she usually does! We're currently using Tide free but I'd like to find something that works better for her. She still breaks out in the creases of her arms and behind her knee's off and on. I use Rockin Green on her diapers and I tried it on her clothes once and it DID seem to help the eczema! The only problem is I didn't like how it cleaned the clothes LOL
jamomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #17
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks again everyone. I tried moisturizing like crazy - vaseline + lanolin every couple hours and I also stopped eating peanuts and it cleared up in a day! completely CLEAR! So I didn't know if it was from the moisturizing or the no peanuts...so I waited another day before trying peanuts again to make sure her face was perfectly clear. So now I'm eating peanuts again and still doing the same moisturizing. I ate peanut butter yesterday and had a handful of peanuts and her face is still clear and moist. So we'll see...hoping it was just dry skin!!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #18
Jcavan
Registered Users
seller

Have you ever tried a hazelwood necklace? Both my babies have eczema (and one has terrible reflux) and it helps TREMENDOUSLY with the reflux AND eczema. It helps neutralize the body's acidity and will combat the eczema. I got mine from hazelaid.com
Jcavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #19
hailey1312
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

organic virgin coconut oil works well on eczema. If it is an underlying allergy issue you would still want to find out, but the the coconut oil really helps my daughters eczema. She had a large spot on her chest and it took a while but it is getting lots better and I also put it on her bottom. She had a rash that cleared up overnight with the coconut oil on her bottom.
hailey1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:51 AM   #20
vegmom510
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Another eczema question

If it ever gets a silver coating on it, it's psoriasis. I had it all my life but always had it looked at during the beginning stages, so all the docs thought it was eczema. Fun stuff.
vegmom510 is offline   Reply With Quote