Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2016, 04:05 PM   #1
SpanishBella
Registered Users
Formerly: yd***on
seller

My Mood:
Budget friendly meal recipes-Please post!

If you ladies don't mind posting budget friendly meal recipes! I would greatly appreciate it!

Advertisement

SpanishBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:49 PM   #2
WannaBeGreen2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Beans and rice, or beans and cornbread. Beans cooked in the crockpot - depending on your budget, you could also add some sausage.

Couple of chicken breasts (could use thighs, etc, but I only eat breasts) in the crockpot, add 1/2 to 1 cup of salsa plus some veggies if you have any going bad, cook on low for about 8-10 hours. When it's done, add black beans (can or previously made from dry), 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup rice. Cook for another 30 minutes to an hour until rice is cooked.

Scrambled eggs with veggies. If you buy breakfast sausage (I buy the rolls when they're on sale, usually around Christmas or Easter, and freeze them) you can use 1/4 to 1/2 the roll for about 6-8 servings of eggs so you can get more out of a single roll. Serve with toast and bananas.

I make all kinds of beans in the crockpot, then freeze in small and large batches. I add beans to lots of things to stretch it, to make it feel more like a meal, or as a quick meal if needed.

Try to cut out or reduce the meat in your meals to make it more budget friendly. Spaghetti without meat, just sauce. Tacos with half ground meat, half cooked lentils. Big dinner salad with tons of veggies, a couple boiled eggs, and just a few pieces of chopped ham or chicken.

ETA: Those were all dinner suggestions, sorry! For breakfasts, stick to eggs and toast, or oatmeal which are both really filling and quite cheap. When the eggs I buy go on sale, I buy tons and make quiches for the freezer, breakfast tacos for the freezer, anything I can think of with eggs to freeze for breakfasts. I boil lots of them for snacking, for egg salad, for tuna salad, etc. Eggs are relatively cheap anyway, so when my brand go on sale, it's an even better deal and I make sure to stock up.

For lunches, have a salad with eggs or beans, with a side of crackers or pasta/rice. Leftovers save money, you can always stretch them with some extra veggies..or beans.

Last edited by WannaBeGreen2011; 08-23-2016 at 07:53 PM.
WannaBeGreen2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Budget friendly meal recipes-Please post!

Wevdo a lot of pasta because it's xheap. Spaghetti, macaroni and cheese, goulash. .

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #4
Agla
Super Admin
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeGreen2011 View Post
Beans and rice, or beans and cornbread. Beans cooked in the crockpot - depending on your budget, you could also add some sausage.

Couple of chicken breasts (could use thighs, etc, but I only eat breasts) in the crockpot, add 1/2 to 1 cup of salsa plus some veggies if you have any going bad, cook on low for about 8-10 hours. When it's done, add black beans (can or previously made from dry), 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup rice. Cook for another 30 minutes to an hour until rice is cooked.

Scrambled eggs with veggies. If you buy breakfast sausage (I buy the rolls when they're on sale, usually around Christmas or Easter, and freeze them) you can use 1/4 to 1/2 the roll for about 6-8 servings of eggs so you can get more out of a single roll. Serve with toast and bananas.

I make all kinds of beans in the crockpot, then freeze in small and large batches. I add beans to lots of things to stretch it, to make it feel more like a meal, or as a quick meal if needed.

Try to cut out or reduce the meat in your meals to make it more budget friendly. Spaghetti without meat, just sauce. Tacos with half ground meat, half cooked lentils. Big dinner salad with tons of veggies, a couple boiled eggs, and just a few pieces of chopped ham or chicken.

ETA: Those were all dinner suggestions, sorry! For breakfasts, stick to eggs and toast, or oatmeal which are both really filling and quite cheap. When the eggs I buy go on sale, I buy tons and make quiches for the freezer, breakfast tacos for the freezer, anything I can think of with eggs to freeze for breakfasts. I boil lots of them for snacking, for egg salad, for tuna salad, etc. Eggs are relatively cheap anyway, so when my brand go on sale, it's an even better deal and I make sure to stock up.

For lunches, have a salad with eggs or beans, with a side of crackers or pasta/rice. Leftovers save money, you can always stretch them with some extra veggies..or beans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho View Post
Wevdo a lot of pasta because it's xheap. Spaghetti, macaroni and cheese, goulash. .

I do many of these. I find that once you have a good collection of lower budget recipes it becomes easier to modify or invent your own.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
hobbitgirl3
Registered Users

Check out budgetbytes.com
It's my favorite recipe blog.
hobbitgirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:32 AM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Slightly off topic (and yes, I am aware this thread is months old.) I find it funny and annoying to see 'budget friendly' meals for $3+ a serving. At that rate we would not be able to eat the whole month. Maybe 1 week per month. At least I would lose weight easily.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
Agla
Super Admin
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Slightly off topic (and yes, I am aware this thread is months old.) I find it funny and annoying to see 'budget friendly' meals for $3+ a serving. At that rate we would not be able to eat the whole month. Maybe 1 week per month. At least I would lose weight easily.
Especially when I have to double or triple it to feed my family.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #8
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
Especially when I have to double or triple it to feed my family.
Yup, everything is geared for no more than 4 people. God forbid you have more than 1 boy and 1 girl! Horror of horrors! I only have 3 children but I swear, despite his skinny size, my son eats more than a grown man.

At $3 a serving, 3 times per day for a family of 4 that would be $1080 a month not including snacks. How is that budget friendly? Booty would have to pay out 4 times that a month to feed her family this version of budget friendly meals.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:01 PM   #9
Kitler
Registered Users

My Mood:

Three dinner favorites:
Mung:
1 Tablespoon WHOLE cumin seed, fried for 20-30 seconds in hot oil, add 1 pound (I use 1/2 if I'm really tight on groceries) ground beef or turkey, cooking until browned. If you have it thinly slice a few carrots diagonally and add as meat is browning. Then add 3+ cups leftover cooked rice, 1/4 cup water, 2 teaspoons chinese 5-spice powder, 1/4 cup soy sauce. Mix throroughly, add 6-12 oz frozen chopped green beans and reduce heat and cover with lid to steam beans, and warm rice. *Although spices can be super expensive, these I buy in bulk as we eat this once a week, so that makes it cheaper. Worth seeking out a cheap spice market - it helps if you're in a diverse, semi-urban area.

Noodles and Eggs:
Cook 1 package of egg noodles to al dente according to package directions. Meanwhile, saute an onion in a large pan with 1/4 cup butter until translucent. Whip 4-8 eggs in a bowl, set aside. Drain cooked noodles and add to pan off onions, then pour eggs over top. cook over low heat, stirring constantly to break up eggs and fully cook them. The eggs will stick to the noodles as they cook. Salt generously when cooked and serve hot.

Lentil Stew:
So, I make this with the leftover ham bone from our free ShopRite hams at easter and christmas -we look forward to it more than the ham itself. The smoked ham bone is essential for flavor.
In a large pot, saute 1 choppped onion, half a bunch of diced celery (use all the bits with the leaves), and 2 diced carrots in 1/4 c butter for half an hour so they really cook down. Add ham bone, 12 cups water, and 1-2 bay leaves. Cover and simmer for 3 hours until meat is falling apart and off the bones, adding water only as needed to keep the bone mostly covered. Remove the bone and meat to a plate to cool and add 1 pound lentils to broth. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 2 hours. Stir occasionally to check that nothing sticks to bottom as it cooks. Meanwhile remove all the meat from the bone and add ti back in to the pot. *I usually cook this for 3 hours becasue I like the beans super thick but it's delicious as a thinner soup too and probably fills more mouths. Sometimes if there's a lot of meat left on the bone, I'll remove half the broth along with the bone, and freeze the broth an half the picked off meat and the bone all in a large ziploc and make another pound of lentils the next week.

Last edited by Kitler; 12-30-2016 at 10:14 PM. Reason: forgot to add something and edit for clarity
Kitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:52 AM   #10
Agla
Super Admin
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitler View Post
Three dinner favorites:
Mung:
1 Tablespoon WHOLE cumin seed, fried for 20-30 seconds in hot oil, add 1 pound (I use 1/2 if I'm really tight on groceries) ground beef or turkey, cooking until browned. If you have it thinly slice a few carrots diagonally and add as meat is browning. Then add 3+ cups leftover cooked rice, 1/4 cup water, 2 teaspoons chinese 5-spice powder, 1/4 cup soy sauce. Mix throroughly, add 6-12 oz frozen chopped green beans and reduce heat and cover with lid to steam beans, and warm rice. *Although spices can be super expensive, these I buy in bulk as we eat this once a week, so that makes it cheaper. Worth seeking out a cheap spice market - it helps if you're in a diverse, semi-urban area.

Noodles and Eggs:
Cook 1 package of egg noodles to al dente according to package directions. Meanwhile, saute an onion in a large pan with 1/4 cup butter until translucent. Whip 4-8 eggs in a bowl, set aside. Drain cooked noodles and add to pan off onions, then pour eggs over top. cook over low heat, stirring constantly to break up eggs and fully cook them. The eggs will stick to the noodles as they cook. Salt generously when cooked and serve hot.

Lentil Stew:
So, I make this with the leftover ham bone from our free ShopRite hams at easter and christmas -we look forward to it more than the ham itself. The smoked ham bone is essential for flavor.
In a large pot, saute 1 choppped onion, half a bunch of diced celery (use all the bits with the leaves), and 2 diced carrots in 1/4 c butter for half an hour so they really cook down. Add ham bone, 12 cups water, and 1-2 bay leaves. Cover and simmer for 3 hours until meat is falling apart and off the bones, adding water only as needed to keep the bone mostly covered. Remove the bone and meat to a plate to cool and add 1 pound lentils to broth. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 2 hours. Stir occasionally to check that nothing sticks to bottom as it cooks. Meanwhile remove all the meat from the bone and add ti back in to the pot. *I usually cook this for 3 hours becasue I like the beans super thick but it's delicious as a thinner soup too and probably fills more mouths. Sometimes if there's a lot of meat left on the bone, I'll remove half the broth along with the bone, and freeze the broth an half the picked off meat and the bone all in a large ziploc and make another pound of lentils the next week.
I have both whole cumin and five spice on hand. I'm going to give that one a go for sure this week.

I just want to say my kids would eat lentils everyday if they could.