Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #111
mom2ls
Registered Users
seller

Re: Homemade Thread

Here's another animal cracker recipe:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recip...r-cookies.html

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2011, 09:47 AM   #112
jeggink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I made the goldfish recipe and the graham cracker recipe and they are both FANTASTIC! I made squares instead of goldfish, and made them super thin, as thin as I could get the dough and still handle it, and they are nice and crunchy . I would imagine if you have a pasta roller that might work really well for the cheese dough! Thanks for sharing!

The Sewing Box ~ Bags, Wristlets & Accessories
jeggink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #113
tkeyser
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, my turn. Homemade koolaid/juice. We were hit with two realizations at once: The plastic containers my daughters drink/mixes come in are leeching estrogen like toxins into the drink, and the synthetic coloring is NOT helping her control her "tweaking out".
So I trial and errored until I came up with this recipe. Hope you enjoy it.

You will need:
3qt stainless steel or cast iron pot for simmering
2.5 qts filtered or purified water
1/4 cup dried cranberries or 1 cup whole fresh cranberries
1/4 cup frozen blueberries or 3/4 cup whole fresh
1/2 cup raw sugar or 1.5 TBS raw honey (we like things SWEET in our house)
Wooden/bamboo spoon you don't mind getting dyed a little
(optional) Red beet "pickled eggs" mix, which is primarily evaporated cane juice and powdered red beets. It's used to make those weird red pickled eggs you sometime see at pubs. :P

Put two quarts water, blueberries, and cranberries on the stove on low. Stir occasionally. It's done when you can mash up the fruit pieces with the spoon. Allow to cool a little, then pour thru metal strainer and/or cheesecloth into heat safe glass container like pyrex. Go back to stove, add half qt of water, heat to low, add in sugar or honey, stir until dissolved, add it to the previous batch o liquid. Finally if you are adding a natural coloring (you don't necessarily have to as the blueberry and cranberry make a pale purpley pink tint already) now is when you add approx 1/2 tsp of your powdered beet mix to color it like koolaid. Allow to cool to room temp before refridgerating to avoid stressing your pyrex. It's flavored like juice mostly and the sweetness/consistency of koolaid.
Let me know if anything seems unclear or funky, but Iv'e been doing this every other day for almost a month now, and my VERY particular DD is totally happy with this.

PS any fruits may be added for FLAVOR, but WON't add significant COLOR to the drink.

ETA: BTW this can make a SUPER yummy adult drink with some crushed ice and nice quality vodka or tequila (SHHHH!)

Last edited by tkeyser; 05-15-2011 at 01:17 PM.
tkeyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #114
aluci89
Registered Users

love this
aluci89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #115
aluci89
Registered Users

so happy to have found this!
aluci89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #116
UnschoolingFamily
Registered Users

My Mood:
Bump - so I can find this again easily.
UnschoolingFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:18 PM   #117
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Homemade almond milk and then using it in banana pancakes:

http://breadwithhoney.blogspot.com/2...g-rituals.html
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #118
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

I'm so excited to try to make some of this stuff (graham crackers! butter!). I have a feeling though that this will finally put the final nail in the coffin (so to speak) of my extended family thinking I'm absolutely nuts. What: She cloth diapers, makes her own baby food, homeschools, and now she makes her own butter?! But if homemade butter makes me nuttier than so be it
nicolemariep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #119
tkeyser
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemariep View Post
I'm so excited to try to make some of this stuff (graham crackers! butter!). I have a feeling though that this will finally put the final nail in the coffin (so to speak) of my extended family thinking I'm absolutely nuts. What: She cloth diapers, makes her own baby food, homeschools, and now she makes her own butter?! But if homemade butter makes me nuttier than so be it
Welcome to the club mama, the butter was the nail in the coffin for me too, HAHAHA!!
Just a tip, make sure the heavy cream is cold when you start, and keep it cold. My cheapo blender couldn't do it without the motor overheating, then heating the cream, preventing the milk from splitting. I searched all over the net trying to figure out what the heck was wrong, but there's some contradicting advice out there.
Also, with the graham crackers, fork away. The more pokes, the flatter the finished cracker will lay.
Let us know how it goes for you!
tkeyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #120
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

I can't figure out how to quote a prior post (because I'm computer stupid apparently), but thanks for the tips tkeyser
Has anyone had success (or failure) making the butter in a stand mixer? Some of the tutorials online do it that way, but a lot recomend a blender or food processor. Does it really matter?

Also I'm going to make some yogurt today (crockpot style). Any practical tips?
nicolemariep is offline   Reply With Quote