Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
SylvieP
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: help needed for EXTREME nausea

I found sour candy helped. The more sour it was the better it was. Maybe cause I was too busy trying to get over the sour taste but what ever it worked.

I was on a prescription too though for diclectin (sp?) not sure how much that cost since we have insurance.

Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #12
katieupnorth
Registered Users
seller

Location: near the Starbucks, and the Starbucks, and the Starbucks...
My Mood:

It's not something that I ever would have done or really even considered, but there's a very interesting article up right now on Mothering about severe morning sickness...
Old 01-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #13
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieP View Post
I found sour candy helped. The more sour it was the better it was. Maybe cause I was too busy trying to get over the sour taste but what ever it worked.

I was on a prescription too though for diclectin (sp?) not sure how much that cost since we have insurance.
Diclectin prescribed in Canada for morning sickness is the same OTC b-6 and doxlamine succinate, sold as Unisom. There is generic of Unisom as well.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #14
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

sea sickness magnetic bracelets from walgreen's worked for a friend who was bedridden with naseau for weeks, but my sil couldn't get them to help. they cost $5 and so might be worth a shot.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #15
gracenglory75
Registered Users
seller

It sounds like an HG pregnancy. . . in which case only meds are going to help her, because without them, she's going to end up dehydrated. Zofran is what worked for me. It didn't keep away the nausea but it did keep me from vomiting every 20 minutes.
Chuck's Bride. BF'ing, delayed vacc'ing, no circ'ing, CD'ing, gardening, natural living Mama to Miracle and Mason (2/7/11) with two angel babies, Daniel (8/05) and Nathaniel (7/13/09 ruptured ectopic pregnancy)
gracenglory75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #16
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

wow- just read that mothering article. not sure how i feel about it, but... if i was having THAT BAD of morning sickness, i'd be reading up on that issue, because so many rx's are really dangerous to the unborn baby...
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #17
amberdawn723
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh I know hyperemesis meds can be uber expensive. She should definitely look into getting prescription help. Meds are extremely important when dealing with hyperemesis and if she gets really desperate she can go to the ER to get IV meds (but then of course will have hospital bills in the mail eventually). If she doesn't have any insurance, then I'd suggest going to a county hospital if possible as they are more than willing to work with you on payments.
amberdawn723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #18
froggymiamore
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracenglory75 View Post
It sounds like an HG pregnancy. . . in which case only meds are going to help her, because without them, she's going to end up dehydrated. Zofran is what worked for me. It didn't keep away the nausea but it did keep me from vomiting every 20 minutes.
Yep this! If she doesn't have insurance and the meds cost too much, try getting her on pregnancy medicaid. She needs to do something.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #19
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Here is a good source for help.

http://www.helpher.org/

ALSO, have her try benedryl....it works WONDERS for my HG and it is what we use for my daughter who has cyclic vomiting. I was on zofran and phenegran (which is cheap)but used benedryl when the zofran was too much for me (severe constipation)
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #20
Ten
Registered Users

My Mood:

Natural remedies that most people don't mention:

Papaya enzyme tablets (last pregnancy I'd put a bunch in my cheek and suck on them... doesn't seem to do anything for this one)

SeaBand bracelets (like PP mentioned, except mine just hit an acupressure point; they're not magnetic)

Acupuncture (if you can find an affordable place that does it community-style)

Lemon water (this is the ONLY thing that helps me this time)

Peppermint tea

This is not to negate the medicine suggestion - for some women that really is the only thing that works. But without those or until she can manage to get them, maybe one of these will bring a little relief...

*TTC a sticky baby since Jan '15. Hoping DD1 returns to us!*
"Death can't stop True Love - it can only delay it for a while." - The Princess Bride
Ten is offline   Reply With Quote