Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2006, 12:02 PM   #1
CJNeeley
Registered Users
seller

What should I do?

Ok, my DD has had slow weight gain. The ped recommended formula supplementing. Which I resisted for quite awhile and opted to talk with the lactation consultant for help instead. Tried quite a few things, fenugreek and blessed thistle for 3.5 wks (it didn't help and the LC thinks reglan would be a bad idea because it has some bad side effects), different feeding techniques (I can get out my notes later), pumping after feedings (though maybe I should get an electric pump), waking her to nurse at least once sometimes twice btwn 1-4 am, etc. But she still wasn't gaining any better so I finally gave in and tried supplementing, and we give her 4-8 oz a day. But today when we went in for a weight check and the ped wants us to start giving her a minimum of 8 oz of formula a day and to try to give her another 4 oz a day with 1T of baby cereal mixed in (she said just cut a bigger hole in the nipple, etc). I don't want to do this but I'm concerned maybe she's not doing well enough. Sure she's growing slower than the boys, even the preemie, but she looks healthy and she's even been starting to fill out a bit in some places despite being so active. I just don't know what to do anymore. I mean it seems a little weird to be so excited that my almost 5 mo old has outgrown her newborn stuff, even more so when she is rolling over, sitting up (well tripoding), learning to crawl, occassionally walks holding her daddy's fingers--even doing push ups, crunches, and downward facing dog, LOL. She so far ahead of what the boys did at their age I can't help but think that her activity is keeping her slim, both the boys started slowing down with their weight gain when they started crawling and cruising they just were older before they were this active.

DD's Progress:
Birth, 12/2 - 8#3 oz and 21"
Dec 6 - weight: 7#11; length: 21.125"
Dec 13 - weight: 8#1
Jan 10 - weight: 9#2; length: 22.5"
Feb 6 - weight: 10#; length: 22.875"
Mar 18 - weight: 11#2
Apr 3 - weight: 11# 8; length: 24.625"
Today, 4/25 - 12#1

We're in the process of moving to Memphis so I'll be getting a new ped, but what do you guys think I need to do? And how bad does this seem as an uninvolved third party?

Advertisement

CJNeeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
Jaz_Trio
Registered Users

Re: What should I do?

ACK...

OK first off, does your baby seem like shes getting enough, even before the formula??? Was she pee'ing ok? Pooing ok? Seeming VERY happy with life?

IF SO STOP!!! Your doctor sounds like "old school" and is thinking that formula is going to be the answer, ITS NOT...MANY MANY MANY breastfeed babies grow WAY slower than there counter part formula feed babies... Even the WHO is now saying this (look at this) http://advice-for-parenting.blogspot...812879431.html there is also some info there on some growth charts for breastfeed babies!

I feel your pain, my son is now 29 1/2 months old, and he is little I MEAN little, only 22 - 23 pounds...his doctors tried to get me to do this to, its soo not needed, he's growing well, hitting all the mild stones (besides talking) and thriving, he's just small!!! Its ok to be small!!!

(((HUGS))) It looks like shes growing well! If you want to talk give me a holler, I am available!!! (((HUGS))) and I would be telling you to RUN to get a new ped, but your moving! *SMILES*
Old 04-25-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

Hi. It doesn't seem that bad to me. My dd is 18 months and aside from length in the pants 6-12 month waist is still big on her. She's small.
If I were you, I'd wait to see the ped. My dd was in newborn stuff until 6 months old... She was less than 14 by 6 months... I never had to supplement formula However around 5 months I switched over to formula altogether for other reasons and her weight gain did not improve at all. It has nothing to do with the milk or formula imo... she is just small, always will be small and comes from a small mother.
Your ped seems like he is overreacting imo. If I were you I would not add cereal until 6 months and I would back off the formula.
My pd always says that if she is gaining there is no need to worry, even if it's only a bit... if your daughter is happy and developmentally at the point she says I'd ignore that ped for now.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
eoster58
Registered Users

Here is a link to an article about re-doing the growth charts. They are way outdated and based on formula-fed babies.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4938234.stm

Good Luck!
eoster58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:55 PM   #5
bethanyjoy
Registered Users

I'd say try calling a local LLL leader and talk to them; they should have either more ideas or some support for you! Seems to me like your DD is doing just fine, my mom b/f all eight of her kids, we were ALL skinny but did just fine, kwim? Some babies are just small...as long as growth is consistent, she's developing well in other areas, and you're getting lots of wet/poopy dipes, then I'm sure she's doing great. Definitely call LLL though, they are a great support system!
Old 04-25-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

Gosh thats good steady growth. I don't think I would be worried at all. I have daughter who is on the small side too. It made absolutly no difference when we added in solids at 10m. And I am convinced it wouldn't have made any with her earlier either. They tried to get me to suppliment to but she always showed a good steady rate of growth so I held my ground and nursed her. Get a new pediatrician and check out the breastfeeding growth charts. I would definatly not do cereal till 6m and then only if you want to start with it. Do check out your local LLL they can be such a help!
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:00 PM   #7
CJNeeley
Registered Users
seller

Ok, I'm feeling much less insecure about it now. But how will I get my supply up enough to make up for the 4 or 8 oz a day she is supplementing now. I'm not making as much when I pump should I try to get or rent a good electric one (that's something the LC brought up, she asked if I knew anyone who had one I could borrow which I didn't)? Shouldn't she be able to get it up herself? How do I do that?

CJ
CJNeeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:33 PM   #8
i0lanthe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try putting her to the breast more often? Frequency of demand is what increases supply, I think.
i0lanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:20 PM   #9
deejahd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Definately rent a pump, it's finally what allowed me to go back to exclusive breastfeeding my DS after he wasn't gaining. He's still small, but tall. But heck so is his dad .
deejahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:08 PM   #10
Mommameyer00
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She's gaining close to two pounds every two months. I think that is normal to me. From what I understand, they should be at least double their birth weight by 1 year and she will be there at her current weigh gain.

I would get a new ped. Nurse on Demand and you should built your supply up without problems. Pumping will help too.

Your doing a great job IMO.

~Kristi~Wife to Matt, Mom to Katy-8 and Arianna-4 and Gabriel-6/15/09
Mommameyer00 is offline   Reply With Quote