Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2006, 09:12 PM   #11
Jaz_Trio
Registered Users

Re: What should I do?

TOTALLY agree with Kristi! You can do it girl, and even if you still suppliment a little, it will be ok, just dont listen that you need to do more! Nursing on demand with a few pumpings if you can will REALLY help your supply, I also know that oatmeal is great too!

Advertisement

Old 04-25-2006, 09:56 PM   #12
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't supplement unless your baby is LOSING weight. Right now it looks like she's gaining, just slowly.

My DD was 8lb1oz at birth, had reached 8lb8oz by 2 weeks, and I thought we were doing good, then she was 10lbs13.5oz at 2 months, 13lbs at 4 months, then just 14lbs4oz at 6 months, but then she shot up between 6 and 9 months, and she weighed in at what seemed like a whopping 17lbs14.5oz!

So, it sounds like your DD is just a bit smaller... and my ped never suggested I supplement and didn't even push me to start solids (we didn't really start until 7-8 months)

I am hypothyroid though, and it's taken forever to get my meds adjusted, so it's likely that my condition has had some impact on my milk supply (being hypothyroid supposedly lowers milk production but honestly I never noticed much change) but again, no one was ever too worried about it, since DD was growing, and otherwise thriving, she was just little. It was rather funny actually, because even when she dipped down to 15th percentile, she had little fat rolls - she definately wasn't starving!
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:02 PM   #13
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

might i suggest domperidone? i took it and it really boosted my supply. i would say if you MUST do the rice cereal mix it with breastmilk instead of formula
Old 04-26-2006, 06:53 AM   #14
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We supplemented for a few reasons:
1) It was my first baby, I had alot of complications and I was freaked out so naturally did what the doctor told me to. My son wasn't gaining weight and so she said that I had to start supplementing. If I would have known then what I know now, I would have just nursed more. My son finished nursing at 10 months because my milk dried up but I think it was partly due to supplementing (however mostly due to some other medical conditions).

2) I got really bad mastitis and the antibiotics I was taking for it pretty much cleared out my milk supply for a week and a half. I was literally pumping about 2 oz every two to four hours when a week before I had been pumping about 12 oz every three hours in the hospital . Huge shift. I'm guessing this contributed to my son not gaining weight but if I would have known what to ask for to boost my supply, I would have done so after my mastitis cleared up.

3) I was so exhausted (had heart problems after pregnancy) that I needed sleep, it was almost imperative that I slept so we would give DS a bottle at night. If I would have known any better (again this is our first child so I had no clue what I was doing) I probably would have had him sleep with me so he could just nurse as needed and I could sleep. We spent most days when DH was at work in bed with him on the boob and me sleeping...duh why didn't I think of that at night?

Anyway. I hope you come to a conclusion about what you're going to do. Breast milk is the best for baby as you know but you aren't a bad mother if you do give her formula. Don't ever let anyone make you feel that way. I'm not saying that you should or should not give formula...I'm just saying that if you get to the point where you're more comfortable giving it to her, then you shouldn't feel bad about it. You are the mother and can decide what you want to do so don't let the doctor influence you into thinking you have to do something.

Hope some of that makes sense. Good luck! Nursing was the best, most rewarding thing I did with my son and I'm so grateful I did!!
Old 04-26-2006, 07:50 AM   #15
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

Your dd's growth seems to be pretty good. Plus you say she looks and acts healthy. I would question the whole supplementing idea. My dd weighed 6 lbs 15 ozs. at birth and was considered a preemie because she was delivered more than 3 weeks early with in utero complications (resulting in large head, tiny body). When my dd was 3 months old she was FINALLY getting out of preemie clothes and weighed just over 9 lbs. At 6 months old she weighed just under 14 lbs and at 1 yr. old she weighed 17 lbs. The doctors have never questioned her growth as her develpoment was fine. She is now a 45 lb 3 1/2 year old so her slow start has no effect now.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:03 AM   #16
CJNeeley
Registered Users
seller

She's a very happy baby, very energetic, she generally still has about a dozen wet diapers a day. Stools aren't so predictable, she can go a few days before having one or have 4 or 5 in one day--but I'm not at all worried about this. We do nurse on demand (plus I wake her to nurse at night) and I pump each side about for about 5-7 min after she's done feeding. The supplement when she gets them are 2-4 oz after nursing both sides if she is still unsatitsfyed, which DH gives her while I pump and she may or may not finish. During the day if she still acts hungry, I just try putting her back to the first breast but if she's not swallowing I try to distract her with play for a few minutes before putting her back (because one of the lactation consulatants said that while putting her to the breast would help increase my supply, if she's not swallowing she's still burning calories from nursing even though she's not getting any--so I try to make sure she at least starts off swallowing).

My supply seems to noticably dwindle in the evening (breasts don't feel as full, etc) and one of the lactation consulatants thinks part of the problem was DD started sleeping the night around 1.5 mo--of course we were so amazed we just let her and enjoyed it--and since she was missing those nocturnal hour feedings she was missing the chance to boost supply when hormones are high, so she suggested making sure she gets at least one feed between 1-4 am even if it means I wake her. Plus she seems less tolerant of hunger in the evenings, which I don't know if it's because she's any more hungry or if she may just be too tired and irritable to settle for less than what she wants.

One of the LC recommended eating the green food source of fenugreek, methi, twice a day since the capsules were not helpful. But I haven't had time to make it over to the indian market yet, so I'd still like to try that before any drugs but thanks for the suggestion I'll look into it.

And thank you guys for being so supportive through this.
CJNeeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:35 AM   #17
Elphaba71
Registered Users
seller

I'm a family doc, very very supportive of breastfeeding, and doing so myself. The minimum acceptable weight gain is usually considered a 1/2 ounce per day - on average. Your baby is a just a tiny bit slower than this, but seems to be growing steadily and as you say is ahead of what's expected developmentally. I don't know how long you've been supplementing, but it doesn't seem that she's growing faster now that you are, looking at the numbers you gave. That says something about her "need" for supplementation. Generally, it's recommended that you start solids around 6 months anyway, in another month, right? What's one more month after 5 of slow steady growth? If formula isn't helping much now, it will be interesting to see if she grows faster on solids - or not! Fortunately with the move, you get an "easy" opportunity to switch. When interviewing new docs - I would bring your info, emphasize your strong committment to breastfeeding and ask what they would have done. Very few docs will be anything less than honest with you about what they think (they are very arrogant in general and believe themselves to be right at all times, and are not salesmen trying to snare new customers). Find one that isn't overly concerned and go with that person. It's amazing to me how many docs are terribly unsupportive of breastfeeding, especially now that the American Academy of Pediatrics is sooooo supportive.

All that said, there are some women who geniunely don't make enough milk (it's rare, but it does happen) and do need supplementation. (Gotta give my disclaimer) It doesn't sound to me like you're one of them.

Another disclaimer - of course, I don't have all the info, but I'd cut back on the supplementing if you're not seeing a significant noticable difference until she's six months and start solids then and see what happens.

My

Mom to Griffin - 2/5/06, and Rhiannon 12/23/07
Elphaba71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:41 AM   #18
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

A thought on boosting your supply. Don't know if you cosleep or not but I would and make the breast very available. Some extra night nursing say every 2-3 hours will pick your supply up a lot. Might be a little difficult for you to get used less sleep for a bit but its an idea!
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 06:39 PM   #19
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

Ditto on the suggestions of the other mamas. My daughter was born on Oct. 20 and she only weighs 14 pounds or so. She is 2 pounds lighter than her twin brother! Don't stress.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:18 PM   #20
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

Hang in there! Get to Memphis and we'll find you a new doc here!!