Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
bradcher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
tax rebate/credit for cloth...join me in writing congress

Well I may be crazy....but I believe cloth users should get a tax rebate (cost of cloth diapers) for saving our environment? Similar to solar panels or other energy saving tax credits.

40 years ago almost all of America used cloth diapers. Half of our landfills today and filled with disposable diapers. Americans pick up dog and cat poo all the time but seem grossed out by baby poo? What is wrong with this picture?

I believe we need an extra tax on disposable diapers too - to encourage more families to use cloth. Like a bottle deposit tax but on disposables. It will help to offset some of the country's economic and green problems.

I also believe wic mothers should be given a stash of econobums or similar cloth diapers and maybe a laundry mat card similar to food stamp cards. Having a baby is hard work and diapering is just a job that comes along with being a parent.

Am I crazy? I honestly think having a baby (like having a dog) requires hard work and yes cloth is harder but it is very doable. Cloth products are 100% better than 40 years ago and rich disposable companies (pampers, huggies) are brainwashing people into thinking cloth is so gross and old school. These companies get rich and our environment gets ruined.

We need to change the way Americanís think to save our environment. Convince me Iím right or wrong.

Advertisement

bradcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: tax rebate/credit for cloth...join me in writing congress

Old 03-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
ImMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just did our taxes this morning and I asled DH if there was a deduction for using cloth diapers. He didn't think that was too funny
Old 03-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
Riley-Madison
Banned

My Mood:

I think this is great!
Riley-Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
Kama
Registered Users
seller
seller

The tax credit for using cloth I could get on board with but not the extra tax on disposables. Some families are in situations where they can't do cloth and the last thing they need is for their diapers to be even more impossibly expensive.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things donít always spoil the good things and make them unimportant- The Doctor
Kama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kama View Post
The tax credit for using cloth I could get on board with but not the extra tax on disposables. Some families are in situations where they can't do cloth and the last thing they need is for their diapers to be even more impossibly expensive.
I agree with pp. Make cloth more accessable but do not punish those who cannot or even choose not to use it,

we cannot force it on people.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
LuvMyKs2010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the tax credit for using cloth. That would be awesome.
LuvMyKs2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd rather see a higher tax rate for the companies that manufacture disposables.
Of course, that'll never happen.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #9
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

I totally agree! But I wouldn't want any extra charge for disposibles. We use them at night because dd is extremely sensitive to wetness and throughout the day her rash gets worse and worse in cloth so for her relief, she wears a sposie at night.

I love your wic idea, diapers are expensive! Wic is pretty good at promoting breastfeeding and offer great pumps and in California they were offering moby wraps to nursing mothers. I think a box of econobum diapers would be awesome!

I think they should make cloth more wide known. Most people I run across didn't even know cloth was still made, let alone that it has improved greatly. I think some big cloth company like bumgenious or fuzzibunz needs to get into the big box store like walmart. They have some online, but they need to be in the store, on the shelf so people can see them! G-diapers came out and lots of people were intrigued by the idea. I think that cloth would have a better chance if it were more widely known about. Maybe a few tv commercials. I know it would cost the cloth companies a lot, but they would make it back with boosted sales.

Last edited by solarbabies; 03-05-2011 at 10:57 AM.
solarbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
Preggoinwv
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kama View Post
I agree with this! No one should be forced to use a product they don't want to or in some cases people simply can't use cloth for whatever reason. I know with my dd I wanted to use cloth but no way could I afford it. Even with a tax credit. We were in a very bad financial situation. Also many daycares don't allow cloth diapers. They don't have the time or the desire to fool with them.

But for those of us that do choose cloth I think a tax credit would be awesome and it might be an incentive for other people to give them a try as well.
Preggoinwv is offline   Reply With Quote