Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

Re: tax rebate/credit for cloth...join me in writing congress

I think there should be cloth campaigns like they do with breastfeeding. I've seen a big jump in the discussion of breastfeeding and the benefits. I think cloth diapers would benefit from similar campaigns. I think the single biggest problem is that people just are not educated on the subject. My own mother was like "Omg, you are going to use cloth? Are you crazy?!?" cause she used cloth and it was a nightmare for her. When she SAW my diapers and I educated her on it, she flipped the switch and is VERY supportive of cloth now. She just had NO idea what it was like to use cloth these days.

Education is the KEY!

but I guess some monetary motivation couldn't hurt

Advertisement

My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
MamaBird06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There is now a tax credit for breastfeeding supplies, but I don't know about cloth. I personally like the local pay by the bag trash services I think this cloth idea may work better at the local level.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
mama to 2 boyz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am able to claim all my cd purchases on taxes as a medical expense since my kids have a diagnosis of x linked itchyosis. If you can get your medical provider to give you a note you can claim the purchases and detergent...
Old 03-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #14
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

that is a good idea.

I think a lot of cloth's problem is information.
When my girlfriend saw cloth for the first time, she didn't even know if was cloth. she thought it was still flats and rubber pants. She loved AIO's, and always asked to change my kids diapers!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #15
Prudence88
Registered Users

I think that with the right incentives in place, ANYONE could afford to CD. I'm choosing cloth because aside from the initial investment its CHEAPER in the long run to use. I would be thrilled if we had government incentives (wic/tax credit) for going back to cloth!
Prudence88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #16
bradcher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I live in NY and when the law was changed to require a 5 cent deposit on waterbottles it really encouraged people to carry a reusable (nalgene bottle)...I wish there was a way to do that for disposables. I just don't think our environment can handle generation after generation growing up in disposables
bradcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #17
Argonaut8
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preggoinwv View Post
I agree with this! No one should be forced to use a product they don't want to or in some cases people simply can't use cloth for whatever reason. I know with my dd I wanted to use cloth but no way could I afford it. Even with a tax credit. We were in a very bad financial situation. Also many daycares don't allow cloth diapers. They don't have the time or the desire to fool with them.

But for those of us that do choose cloth I think a tax credit would be awesome and it might be an incentive for other people to give them a try as well.
I like all the ideas so far. And this post is making me think: how about a tax incentive for daycares to use cloth, too? I quit CDing my son when he was about a year old because I went back to school full time and was working part time and couldn't find a daycare provider who would use cloth. I'm sure an incentive would be all the push many DCPs would need to fool with it. Without DCPs joining in, cloth is pretty much limited to SAHMs right now, which is tragic really.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #18
LittleClaraLove
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Just as an aside, a tidbit if you will, I run an intentionally small, licensed home child care with 4 small children plus my 1 daughter and am able to triple the local going rate for full-time care because I only cloth-diaper and feed organic meals and snacks. Each of the 4 families had the option at the start of care to bring 12 of their own diapers or pay me an extra $150 in the first payment to buy some. I wash every day and I've never had a sposie in my current house. : )))

All that to say, I think all if your ideas are brilliant.
LittleClaraLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #19
LeahSylina
Registered Users

My Mood:

I definitely 100% agree that parents who choose cloth should be given a tax rebate. I think that's an awesome idea, I sure wish that there was one.

I do not believe that disposables should be taxed. Like they aren't expensive enough as it is. CDing is a great choice - for our babies, for the environment, for the economy - but it's a CHOICE. We live in America, it's a free country, and I don't believe that we should penalize other moms because they make a choice that we wouldn't make. And not all moms can do cloth diapers - like others have said some daycares won't allow them and some living situations make CDing very hard.

And as it is, WIC doesn't provide money for disposable diapers (at least they didn't when I was on it), why would they provide CD packages to moms and a laundry mat card? That would actually cost our taxpayers more money. It would get more sposies out of the landfills and yes I agree that's a great idea but I think that's the wrong way to approach it.

I think the idea of a CDing campaign like the bfing campaign would be great! I'd totally sign up for that.
Leah, loving wife to Nathan. CDing mom to two beautiful kids, Gabriel Thomas (4/13/09) and Elena Grace (5/6/2010) since 11/2010. Expecting #3 in February 2012!
LeahSylina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #20
TravsQueenie
Registered Users
seller

As a cloth diaper mom, I really like the idea of a tax credit for using cloth diapers. The initial cash output for cloth can be a little high, based on what you use and how you buy your diapers (all at once, one at a time, sales/coupons).
However, as a taxpayer, the idea of more tax credits worries me since our country is in a huge budget deficit as it is. If a credit for cloth diapers is passed, where will the line be drawn? Will we offer tax credits for eating organic, composting, line-drying clothes, and recycling as well? I support all of these things, and they are good for the environment, but I would worry that people would take advantage of the system (how could it be verified that they're actually doing those things to earn the credit?) to reduce their taxes even more, resulting in less taxes paid to the government when we already don't have enough $$ to cover costs as it is. I guess I'm one of those people who thinks we should do away with income taxes and charge a flat federal tax on everything so everyone is paying taxes based on their consumption, not their income.
Sorry for the soapbox rant . The budget and taxes have been on my mind lately because DH is a federal employee and we were really stressing about the shutdown last week.
TravsQueenie is offline   Reply With Quote