Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #21
Green MM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: tax rebate/credit for cloth...join me in writing congress

I thought i had read somewhere that there was going to be a tax on disposables or maybe they were trying to and I think P&G fought it or something. So, it may happen. I would love to see a tax credit on cloth as well. When I googled it there was someone in 2009 that started a petition but i believe they are from Canada. I think it would be a great incentive & it can be expensive to start out which prob. makes some more reluctant to start.

Advertisement

Green MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #22
eschillo
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

well said mama!!
eschillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #23
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

In England (and many other European countries) you can get free cloth diapers from your local government, which also supplies resources on how to use cloth (demonstrations, classes, free trials, fittings, etc).

The biggest supermarket chain in the UK (Tesco) now also sells TotsBots Easy and Tiny Fit in stores. I wonder if they get a tax break? That would be an awesome way to encourage cloth, a tax incentive for places like Walmart and Target if they sold Bumgenius and Thirsties (or some other reputable brand of dipes) with an advertised campaign.

I do also think that there should be heavier environmental taxes for companies which encourage single-use products (disposable diapers, plastic bottled drinks, etc). Environmental taxes take into account production but not consumption.

Last edited by jam's mum; 01-30-2012 at 11:30 AM.
jam's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #24
cobbermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kama
The tax credit for using cloth I could get on board with but not the extra tax on disposables. Some families are in situations where they can't do cloth and the last thing they need is for their diapers to be even more impossibly expensive.

Love this idea!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #25
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I also believe wic mothers should be given a stash of econobums or similar cloth diapers and maybe a laundry mat card similar to food stamp cards. Having a baby is hard work and diapering is just a job that comes along with being a parent.
I don't WIC is a nutrutional program its got nothing to do with diapers. I'm not saying I wouldn't want to promote or support a program that will donate or provide cloth to low income I jsut dont see WIC as the place to do it.

Also as much as I'm all for lower taxes I can't support another rebate.. Gladly accept it if it came but as a taxpayer I couldn't rally for another.

Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #26
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Didn't read all of the replies, sorry if i'm repeating something that has been said.

I was just thinking about contacting someone yesterday!! Seriously! I would compleatly join you in the quest to get a tax break for families who cd.

I think the best place for the tax hike would be the manufacturer of the sposies. I believe the companies that produce trash items should pay a special tax (do they already?) for making items that will be one time use. Like papertowels, tp, plastic grocery bags, plates, sposies, pads/tampons, ect.. There is just way too much trash and littering. Not to mention the stripping our planet of natural resources. It really does bother me. The US could use these funds for cleanup programs, forest replanting, research into recyceling and new more earth friendly options. I know, I know, most think the goverment controlls enough as it is. I just think doing something is WELL OVERDUE! Yes, the consumer should be held responsible too. Perhaps a better way to approach that would be special tax breaks for cd'ing, gas/electric conservation, purchases on reusable items rather than disposable.

Something has to give!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #27
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum View Post
In England (and many other European countries) you can get free cloth diapers from your local government, which also supplies resources on how to use cloth (demonstrations, classes, free trials, fittings, etc).

The biggest supermarket chain in the UK (Tesco) now also sells TotsBots Easy and Tiny Fit in stores. I wonder if they get a tax break? That would be an awesome way to encourage cloth, a tax incentive for places like Walmart and Target if they sold Bumgenius and Thirsties (or some other reputable brand of dipes) with an advertised campaign.

I do also think that there should be heavier environmental taxes for companies which encourage single-use products (disposable diapers, plastic bottled drinks, etc). Environmental taxes take into account production but not consumption.

I did repeat, lol. Soorry, knew i should have read all of the posts first!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #28
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9
Didn't read all of the replies, sorry if i'm repeating something that has been said.

I was just thinking about contacting someone yesterday!! Seriously! I would compleatly join you in the quest to get a tax break for families who cd.

I think the best place for the tax hike would be the manufacturer of the sposies. I believe the companies that produce trash items should pay a special tax (do they already?) for making items that will be one time use. Like papertowels, tp, plastic grocery bags, plates, sposies, pads/tampons, ect.. There is just way too much trash and littering. Not to mention the stripping our planet of natural resources. It really does bother me. The US could use these funds for cleanup programs, forest replanting, research into recyceling and new more earth friendly options. I know, I know, most think the goverment controlls enough as it is. I just think doing something is WELL OVERDUE! Yes, the consumer should be held responsible too. Perhaps a better way to approach that would be special tax breaks for cd'ing, gas/electric conservation, purchases on reusable items rather than disposable.

Something has to give!
That is a great idea.

Also taxing disposable diapers doesn't take away anyone's choice. They can choose to pay the tax or not by purchasing or not purchasing the product. No one is talking about outlawing disposables.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #29
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleClaraLove View Post
Just as an aside, a tidbit if you will, I run an intentionally small, licensed home child care with 4 small children plus my 1 daughter and am able to triple the local going rate for full-time care because I only cloth-diaper and feed organic meals and snacks. Each of the 4 families had the option at the start of care to bring 12 of their own diapers or pay me an extra $150 in the first payment to buy some. I wash every day and I've never had a sposie in my current house. : )))

All that to say, I think all if your ideas are brilliant.
That is awesome!
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #30
ServingHim
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmommy View Post
I don't WIC is a nutrutional program its got nothing to do with diapers. I'm not saying I wouldn't want to promote or support a program that will donate or provide cloth to low income I jsut dont see WIC as the place to do it.

Also as much as I'm all for lower taxes I can't support another rebate.. Gladly accept it if it came but as a taxpayer I couldn't rally for another.

Deanna
I agree with Deanna!
I don't believe our government should offset the cost of being a parent anymore than they already do.