Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-05-2006, 08:46 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
U/S question

If your Dr. had/has an U/S machine in their office...did they still send you elsewhere to have your "big" ultrasound done?

With my last Dr. she did have a machine in her office but she still sent me to the techs to have my major one done.

My current Dr also has one. I was schedualed to go back at 16 weeks(my 2nd appt) but he is in the reserves and is doing his two weeks then so I will be going back at 17 weeks instead. With my others Dr's my U/S has been schedualed for weeks in advance and I had them done around 18 weeks. So I'm wondering if I will be able to find out the gender of my baby soon or if I'm going to have to wait like 2 more months We haven't even discussed my U/S because the last time I saw him was 11 weeks(well that was the first time I saw him) and I figured I would see him soon enough in the future to address it the next time around.

Currently Single mommy to Aspen (7), Chloe (5) and Layla (3)

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:58 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: U/S question

The practice I was with the first time had one U/S tech and her equipment and then a couple of other "floating" machines. I saw the tech for the 'dating' US at 6 weeks, again for the 'big one' at 20 weeks, and again at 32 weeks because I was measuring large. The OB/MW did several other ultrasounds in between those times.

The practice I'm using this time has two offices. The office I go to does not have an US machine at all, the other office has a tech and her equipment. They sent me to the hospital for a dating US early on because their tech doesn't have the thing to do the vaginal US. Then they sent me to their other office to see the tech for the big one at 20 weeks. They don't do any others unless there is a problem.

As for when you'll be able to find out, I believe the tech can usually tell around 17 weeks but they don't like to say anything until closer to 20 because they don't want to be wrong. Chances are, whenever they schedule your "halfway" US, they'll tell you the gender if you want to know.
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
Registered Users

My doc has the machine in her office, but I went to the hospital ultrasound office to have the big one done. I actually never had an ultrasound in the office. I didn't even know there was one there, until my nurse mentioned that my doc had just diagnosed twins in another mom (when I was in my 3rd tri). I was a little annoyed, because if I had been seeing that doc all along, I probably would have known sooner about the twins. Not that I really needed to know, but I think it might have helped my mental state a bit. Anyway, the ultrasound center at the hospital is pretty advanced so I don't think this particular practice (which is at a subsidiary clinic of the hospital) ever does the big ultrasound in the office.
Carrie (28), wife to Mark (31), mama to identical twin cuties Ethan and Ryan (27 mo.)
Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
Goodness gracious he's hot!
My Mood:

My doc office has an U/S machine.

They used it for dating at 8wks or something like that...

When I needed my big U/S they sent me to the hospital. I think they do it this way because a dating u/s is QUICK. but the Big u/s take a long time (because so many measurements are needed) they would need a staff member or two who ONLY do ultrasounds to keep up with the demand. The doc who did my first u/s was a regular OB so of course he has pacients he has to see too? KWIM?
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
Registered Users

My MW wanted to send me elsewhere for mine because my dd was at high risk for heart defect, but that was the only reason. I ended up having them done in the office anyways.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote