Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Premade smoothies??

Can I pre-make and freeze smoothies?? Strawberries, blueberries and raspberries are super cheap right now and I would love to pre-make smoothies for DH to have in the mornings before work while it's affordable.

Advertisement

Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Personally, I'd just freeze the berries (measured, if you like), because I can't see a frozen and then thawed(?) smoothie having the right texture.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Premade smoothies??

I read in a recent blog...totally can't find it now...but the mama made pre-made smoothie packets. She would freeze yogurt (any flavor) in muffin tins...flash freeze and place in zip lock bags. Then she would add fresh or frozen fruit to the bags (e.g. berries, bananas, peaches, etc.) seal and store in the freezer. Each baggie had one yogurt "puck" and fruit. Then when they wanted a smoothie, they would dump a bag in the blender and add milk as needed for thickness/consistency. Sounded good and makes me want to try it.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users

My boss does. He makes his smoothies (mostly fruit and a little yogurt) and divides them up into red plastic cups. Then freezes it them in the cups. He can then grab one quick on his way out the door. Then he eats it with a spoon, but they thaw by the time he gets to the office.

He sometimes grabs one for me, telling me since he brought me a smoothie I cannot get grumpy if we have a late lunch. Lol I get grumpy when hungry.
ArronDalesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it's a good idea! They sell things like that now.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

freezing just the fruit wouldn't work...DH leaves at 430am and I would murder him if he ran the blender lol
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
TPLmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I always make them the night before & refrigerate. They get a little thin, but still taste yummy & keep the smoothie texture.

You can freeze them but the texture is iffy when they thaw, depending on what you use to make the smoothie. Definitely don't use ice or milk. Yogurt & kefir do okay though. Oh & don't add any leafy greens. Those taste a LOT stronger after sitting in the fridge or freezer.

Hope you figure something out, smoothies are such a quick & easy bfast to make & healthy too! Well, depending on what you put in it.
TPLmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I'd flash freeze & then back the berries you're finding great deals on. Freezing a smoothie for later is kind of like freezing ice cream again after it thaws out. While making it during the day & putting leftovers in the fridge for sometime later might work out, it's just not gonna have the same taste if you freeze it & then serve again. Plus, frozen berries are awesome for making them!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
GotAllBoys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808mamaof2
I read in a recent blog...totally can't find it now...but the mama made pre-made smoothie packets. She would freeze yogurt (any flavor) in muffin tins...flash freeze and place in zip lock bags. Then she would add fresh or frozen fruit to the bags (e.g. berries, bananas, peaches, etc.) seal and store in the freezer. Each baggie had one yogurt "puck" and fruit. Then when they wanted a smoothie, they would dump a bag in the blender and add milk as needed for thickness/consistency. Sounded good and makes me want to try it.
This idea is awesome! I love this. I might do the yogurt in ice cube trays though do they'd be easier to fit in the magic bullet.
GotAllBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:14 PM   #10
EBShaw
Registered Users

Not sure if this is the link you were referencing, but it's what I used to do: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-blue...e-packs-228656

We definitely stock up on berries in the summer so we can use them throughout the year. In Maine, we'll spend days picking blueberries cause it's fun for the kids and they're really great in our smoothies. Just recently we tried out Daily Harvest, but it's really expensive. Not sure if we can keep doing it
EBShaw is offline   Reply With Quote