Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2015, 09:30 AM   #1
Jennie0828
Registered Users

My Mood:
Summertime No Cook Dinners?

hi all. Looking for ideas. We don't have air conditioning and I don't like to turn the oven on in the summertime it gets too hot. The stove even get to be warm. So we make things that we can cook in the microwave and we eat a lot of sandwiches and salads. But that gets really boring really fast. Does anybody have suggestions of no cook dinners?

Advertisement

Jennie0828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:30 AM   #2
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
seller
seller

Re: Summertime No Cook Dinners?

I know you said no cook but we like to do tortellini. It's quick to prepare it and then you can throw whatever you want in there with it: beans, pesto, veggies, etc. Have you tried the crock pot? We do a lot of meals in there too when we don't feel like cooking. I don't really know many strict "no-cook" meals besides sandwiches and salads. The kids like eating wraps because it's more exciting to them than a sandwich.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:22 PM   #3
Hotterthanjuly
Registered Users

Gazpacho! (cold tomato soup with chopped-pureed veggies)
Hotterthanjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:26 PM   #4
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

How about using a crockpot? It won't heat up your house. Check out the crockpot recipe sticky for ideas.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:22 AM   #5
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in the same boat - I hate cooking in the Summer! We have a small window a/c unit but it doesn't even reach the kitchen.

I love my crock pot, too. Yesterday I made chicken with biscuits, and today I'm going to be making a meat sauce for pasta. If you make a whole chicken in the crock pot you can make some chicken salad (for sandwiches, to put on top of greens, etc.) and save the rest of the chicken for soup or quesadillas or whatever.

My kids love what we call "picky lunches," where we have pieces of meat, cheese, veggies and dip, crackers, fruit, hard-boiled eggs, whatever we feel like putting together - it's a staple in our house!

We need to replace it, but in the Summer I use my toaster oven to make meals since it doesn't heat up the house - meatballs, chicken nuggets, square- or round-shaped casseroles (it's too small for a 13x9" pan). I can fit two layers if the pans aren't too high, and can broil fish or veggies or whatever.

Since I've gotten pregnant I can't stomach them right now, but I usually have a morning smoothie.
Preggers with baby #4!

Follow me & my crazy thoughts on Wordpress
karlitacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #6
Hotterthanjuly
Registered Users

pasta salad with lots of veggies and baby spinach and pumpkin seeds!
Hotterthanjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:57 AM   #7
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlitacat
My kids love what we call "picky lunches," where we have pieces of meat, cheese, veggies and dip, crackers, fruit, hard-boiled eggs, whatever we feel like putting together - it's a staple in our house! .
Ours too - we call them picnic dinners and DD gets esp excited when we an eat outside... Aka Mom doesn't feel like cooking OR cleaning lol!
Old 07-26-2015, 01:03 PM   #8
leavethepieces
Registered Users
seller

Taco salad! If you get a cool night to cook a few lbs of meat, with the seasoning, then you can freeze it in small portions. It thaws quickly and is so easy to crumble over a salad. I always have some on hand, but then again I could eat it every night for a year and not get sick of it :ROFL:
leavethepieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:38 PM   #9
WildflowerCB
Registered Users
Formerly: ri814146
seller
seller

My Mood:

I read this thread and thought about it but I do not have any great ideas for you. We use our BBQ a lot in the summer. What about using a griddle or toaster over to cook on instead of the stove? You could make grilled sandwiches on a griddle or bake something small like hot dogs in a toaster oven if you do not have a BBQ.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:16 PM   #10
Jennie0828
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks everyone. I remember when I was single I lived in a small one bedroom apartment on the second floor. I used to cook my Single serving of pork chops and miniature meatloaves in the toaster oven. I would run an extension cord to the back deck and put the toaster oven outside while it was cooking and cooling off. LOL
Wife to Aaron, Mother to Edith Rose 4/15/15. Cloth Diaperer, Baby Wearer, Breast Feeder, Bed sharer, Baby Food Maker, Elimination Communication, Type 1 Diabetic, Advanced Maternal Age, stay at home mom, home owner, patron of the performance arts, and the MOST BLESSED.
Jennie0828 is offline   Reply With Quote