Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
percussionsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Too many kids too little time?

I'm not a mom of many, but I WOHM with 2 kids and messy SAHD, this advice is wonderful! Thank you!

Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #12
nasladybug
Registered Users
seller

Location: foothills of the Appalachian Moutains - North Georgia
My Mood:

Thank you all for posting - I am going to use this info! For those of us who only have youngsters at the moment it is like swimming upstream to keep a clean house - but I am teaching mine to be helpers - I think taking the time to let them help is an investment for the future when they will be more efficent. For right now I am just enjoying this special time with my LOs and trying not to worry too much about a spotless house!

We Jesus!
nasladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:27 AM   #13
amyltc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by percussionsmith View Post
I'm not a mom of many, but I WOHM with 2 kids and messy SAHD, this advice is wonderful! Thank you!
I only have 2 kiddos, but I really really like the ideas given here. I feel like when I get home from work I clean clean clean but never get to spend time with my kids. I think from now on our cleaning time will be spent together and then they can play while I supervise so messes don't get out of hand. It just makes so much sense. I can't believe I didn't think of it before
amyltc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:31 AM   #14
mama2ma_ks_km
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Subbing so i can come back to all these great ideas!
Stephanie, Jesus-loving wife to Tim, mommy to Meghan ('05), Kelsey ('09) and Kaeden ('12) here on earth and baby Kaelin ('07) and baby Morgan ('10) in heaven. Expecting a new blessing 7/18/15! CD addicted, bfing, ERFing, bwing, non-circing, on-time vaxing, homeschooling, simple-living kinda girl.
mama2ma_ks_km is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #15
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Some days, weeks and even months are going to be hard. I work on my littles to mind at first asking. We revolve chores weekly, unless someone loves one job. Kitchen dishes and cleaning rotates, but my 16y/o likes cleaning the bathroom so she always has that job. Everyone helps w/ laundry, whoever is available.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #16
812ajack
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree with the try and keep your kids near you as much as possible cause they will cause less mischief this way. Realistically though it can't be like that 24 /7 so I tell my kids you don't like cleaning the mess then don't make the mess. I know kids get bored with doing housework but they also have to realize that while we don't enjoy it either its a part of life. Its hard when they are all young but the more involved you get them when they are young (when vacuuming is something fun for them to do) the more likely they'll help out when they are older. Some days are better then others but that's when I tell myself it will get better tomorrow and try and start off the day with a good attitude. Cause when you're happy your kids are happy. Simple as that.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #17
mvp529
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasladybug View Post
Thank you all for posting - I am going to use this info! For those of us who only have youngsters at the moment it is like swimming upstream to keep a clean house - but I am teaching mine to be helpers - I think taking the time to let them help is an investment for the future when they will be more efficent. For right now I am just enjoying this special time with my LOs and trying not to worry too much about a spotless house!

So very true!! My older children now-17, 11, 10, 8 and 7 have routine chores that do not change. My oldest does her laundry and her 2 year old brothers. My 10 year old does laundry for her room-which includes the girls and they all fold. My 11 yr old son does his and his 4 year old brothers. They fold it themselves and put it away. After every meal, one sweeps, one cleans high chairs, and one cleans table and chairs. The for the evening, I rotate an area. So each child will have an area of the home to make sure it is perfect. My areas are: Living room, books(bookshelf), studyroom, gameroom/dining room. After they finish that, they all go to their room and clean their rooms. I give them 30 minutes, at which time my phone alarm alerts us to inspection time. I have found that this is the most important aspect. If I slack on inspection that chores get sloppy FAST. Or if I give them too much time to complete their chores, they ended up talking and forgetting the job ahead of them. Each child gets a "check mark" for their area being clean and then for their room. If the area does not earn a check then of course it's 10 minutes off of the weekly free time and also an addition of a chore-right then. I have a list of extras to assign. This way they realize that sloppy work, earns more work. At the end of the week, these add up to free time such as ipad, video games, Leapfrog, computer time.

I have also found that limiting tv time-almost to nothing actually calms the kids. of course, after the first couple weeks of withdrawal. Now, when we do a movie or show, they feel so privileged that they don't even move during it! It also keeps me moving and working and seems to add more hours to the day. Instead I play Christian music or classical. Their imaginations are better and they stay outside to play longer now.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #18
5lilmnkys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagegyrl View Post
Mama, can you expand on which one you have and what you use it for? THANKS!!
Sorry I haven't been on forever to respond to this: I have a large board from Target that has a calendar, to do list, and a NOTES section. I use the to-do list section for reminders of phone calls I need to make, etc. The NOTES section is where I write grocery or household items as I run out (easier to remember you are out of trash bags if you write it down right after you use the last one!). The calendar itself is color coded. Once you do it that way for awhile, it's second nature. My 8 year old daughter for example is pink, so everything relating to her is pink (gymnastics, field trips, dr appts, etc.). Makes it easier for the kids as well, to glance at it and know what applies to them.
I married Jon, my 2nd chance at true love, on 11-26-10, and am mama to 6 lil monkeys...4 by birth, 2 by marriage. Bryant Stone 13, Landon Nicholas 10, Paige Erica Nicole 8, Jorja Juness 5, Jillian Bella 3....and the baby boy that links us all together, Rowan Henry, born 6/30/11!
5lilmnkys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #19
TripleMbride
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Love this thread! Great ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #20
Amy27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
I have 5 who are 5 and under. We have a ticket system in place in our house. They get tickets for doing chores and randomly for other things. Like if I ask them to all go upstairs and get in their beds for naps and only one obeys, I'll give that child a ticket. Or, if one of them does something nice for someone else, I'll give them a ticket. For the tickets, they get prizes. At first, I was buying little things at the Dollar Store and such and we would have "Store Night." They kids could pick one thing for every 10 tickets they got. (Generally, they usually get at least 1 ticket a day, for doing their daily chores, and often a second for something character related. So, 10 a week is fairly easy to do.) Now, I will take the kids to Target and let them pick something from the $1 bins for every 10 tickets. For my oldest, who is 5, we have started allowing him to turn in his tickets for money to save up for other things instead. So, every ticket equals $.20. As of yet, he keeps choosing to get a toy at Target instead, but I suspect that won't last long. Plus, he gets more than 10 a week. So, he spends 10 at Target and saves the rest. So, he is building up. Anyway, this is working well for my older 3. They are 5 and twins who are 3. My other 2 just turned 1 yesterday, no tickets for them yet.

Also, personally, I don't care if they are bored with their chores. You live here, you help. I get bored cleaning the same things over and over and folding the same clothes day in and day out. That is life. However, I do change up the chores each week. This week, the 5 year old will put away the silverware, one 3 year old will help me load the dishwasher and the other will wipe the table. Next week, it will switch. That provides for variety and also the opportunity to learn more than one skill.

Oh and BTW - I often feel overwhelmed by being responsible for all these littles. (Sometimes, I hide on DS, like now. ) The task of teaching them to obey and be respectful and responsible sometimes seems daunting. But, you just keep doing it anyway. I just remind myself they are growing up and won't be littles that much longer. At that point, I will be very glad I worked hard to teach them while they were young.
This is great! i just found this thread! These are great ideas!
Amy, wife to my HS sweetheart Moriah SAHM to Drew 12/8/06 Aubrey-04/29/08 Regan VBAC #1 6/7/11Grady VBAC#2 11/9/12
Amy27 is offline   Reply With Quote