Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Need some assurance...I'm freakin' out!

Okay, so I have to admit that BUYING the fluff is addictive. BUT...in helping out with my sister's kids (and yes, they use sposies) is it gonna' be just as easy (or close to) as sposies? We're not sposie snobs (meaning we don't mind store-brand sposies), but I'm still holding out hope that CDing is gonna be cheaper for us. By the time the baby gets here I'll have 12 small FBs, 6 bG!s, and a few others (a fitted from zoombabygear, a WAHM USAF pocket, a Swaddlebees, and a Preston's Pants)...insert-wise I'll have 18 microterries that came with my FBs, 6 cottonbabies, 4 clothdaddy trifolds, two JoeyBunz, and a hemp and a microterry for the SB. I'm prefold retarded (and The Husband is WORSE) so pockets are hopefully gonna' be the way to go...and we've agreed that she can wear sposies till she fits her smalls (and based off my family and his family that'd be like a month at most). We're really doing this for the savings, especially since we're planning on saving this dipes for the next kid. I don't mind washing everyday if I have to even. But please tell me that the cloth diapering route isn't going to be like a billionty times more difficult. And this sounds vain, but I don't want her to have a super bulky bum...we did agree to try them till she grows outta' the smalls and if we really don't like it we can go back to sposies and sell off our stash.

But someone PLEASE tell me I'm just freaking out because that's what pregnant ladies do. Overall, on her small stash, I've spent about $300...so even if she's in mediums and into larges, that's about $900 (not to mention the savings of the one-sized bG!s, right?) and STILL cheaper than sposies...

It's really not that hard, right?

Advertisement

Old 04-25-2006, 01:52 PM   #2
Watercolor Ponies
Professional, Proficient, PeeWell Procurer (or anything else you want me to stalk!)
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need some assurance...I'm freakin' out!

It will be cheaper in the long run, you are doing the right thing. I haven't bought a brand new dipe in several weeks, and that was a PW that I wasn't even sure I was going to get! Plus if you buy them used, from here you will save a lot of $. It seems overwhelming in the beginning, but you will soon figure out what works for you and what doesn't and this will streamline your buying. Good luck mama!!
Watercolor Ponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:55 PM   #3
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

cding is soooo easy My routine is change DD, toss the diaper in the wet bag and wash every 3-4 days So super easy! Washing is a snap too You'll love it! My DD only uses cds, no sposies, only when she was first born and in the hospital because they wouldn't let me use cd. But she ended up being allergic to sposies anyway I love it and so does my DH Even my DS, who will be 4, requested a cd for over nights (he was a bedwetter but he's better now ). You'll love it, you really will
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Take a deep breath and relax...it's not bad at all. I just recently switched my 22 month old from sposies to cloth and I'm expecting #2 around June or July. When I ordered my first bunch of diapers, I was so excited I was in a frenzy but then I couldn't sleep that whole night wondering if this was really what I wanted to do. It took me a couple of weeks to get into a groove and figure out what we really like and what we don't but now that I've gotten used to it, it is SOOOO much easier. I'm one that forgets to go to the store and restock so I have actually had to "borrow" dipes from a neighbor because we ran out or scrounge around in the car looking for the spare that got kicked under the seat. Now, it's so much easier to throw a load in the wash instead of having to remember to run out to the store and buy a box. And when money slips up on me these days, it's a whole lot easier to put off buying until payday than when we were using sposies!

I know a lot of people talk about bubble butt with cloth diapers but even switching midstream, I haven't really had a problem with that. If DJ wears a pocket during the day, it's usually stuffed with one microfiber towel which is not bulky at all. I also have some Very Baby AIOs that fit just like sposies and go great under clothes. At night, his jamas are a little tighter but who really cares about that?

Washing is not as big a deal as I had feared it might be. Actually, I tend to stay caught up on my other laundry better now that I'm having to wash diapers too so that's an extra little bonus I hadn't considered! The only thing that is really any different about my changing routine is rinsing poop. Since I have a toddler, I dump the poop into the toilet and then rinse. I've heard you don't have to do that with newborns but I probably will anyway. It's really not a big deal. DJ is at the age where he wants to sit on the potty so sometimes after I get his diaper off and get him cleaned up, we'll go into the bathroom and let him sit on his potty seat while I rinse the diaper. One advantage to that is that I can tell him what I'm doing. Now, when he sees me take a diaper in the bathroom, he says "Poopoo goes in the potty" which hopefully means that he's starting to make that connection which will help him with potty learning. Otherwise, it's really no different throwing a diaper in the pail than throwing it in the trash.

Just relax and give it a shot...it really isn't bad at all. Do try to keep an open mind because the first few weeks can be a learning curve and you may find out that what you thought you'd like doesn't turn out to be your favorite. If that happens, come back here and sell us what you don't love and try out something different. Personally, I thought I'd like AIOs because they're most like sposies. As it turns out, I prefer fitteds, partly because of the variety of cover choices available. At night, I like pockets because I can stuff them with whatever but we do also use fitteds and wool or fitteds and fleece at night for more breathability. I'm still hanging onto a little bit of variety for the newborn because I know that our needs may be a little different with a baby than with a toddler. And besides, it's fun to change things up now and then!

Good luck!
Barb
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:46 PM   #5
Christy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is a lot of money up front for diapers but you would spend that and more for 'sposies and you can resell your diapers after your little one outgrows them.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:59 PM   #6
Bare Bottom Gear
Cruelty is a tyrant that's always attended with fear
Formerly: SAHMTo2
seller

My Mood:

Let's put it this way, you will spend $2000 on sposies in 2 years.

You will spend $300 on cd's to which you can save or resell for the next size up & it's a wash. Then do it again and again until you dc has grown out of them. When you have another sell of the larges and extra larges for smalls for the new baby and it's another wash.

Pockets are SO easy! You'll love them. They are just like sposies except you have to stuff them (which only takes a second). They dry faster than a lot of the all in ones too!

And, with pockets they fit just like a sposie!!! Only at naptime and bedtime does it get A LITTLE bit bulkier. I use one fb microfiber insert and a terry cloth towel wrapped around it or a Happy Heiny hemp stuffin OVAL (not the hole stuffin just the little oval that goes in the pocket of the stuffin) for my 2.5 yr old ds (not a huge wetter and I just switched a month ago to cd's). At night I may use a long skinny hemp insert or a doubler with my microfiber insert. If you have a heavy wetter you will indeed have a bit of a big diaper butt but who is gonna see it? You and your dh is all!

Swaddlebees are the most trim pocket (we use them) but for heavy wetters they may not hold enough pee. I use them in the daytime when I know he won't fill them up. Otherwise I use fb's and hh's. I do have prefolds and bummis super whisper wraps on him too. I don't fold them and snappi them I just fold the pf into a long rectangle and place him on it and pull the cover up and velcro it. I do have to fold the pf over in the front for added leak guard though! Plus, the premium pf's for toddlers are too long to use them in the way I do.

It's okay! (((HUGS)))

Check out my other FSOT items, I've got diapers, yarn and fiber for sale!!

Last edited by Bare Bottom Gear; 04-25-2006 at 04:09 PM.
Bare Bottom Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:05 AM   #7
ltelly00
Registered Users

Honestly, yes if you don't get too carried away shopping, it will save you $$! It isn't any more difficult than sposies. It's just an extra wash load. But since the machine does all the work there, you're good to go. Heck, I don't even fold mine, we live out of a CD clothesbasket! The pockets we have (we're in mediums) aren't any more bulky than her sposies and we don't have any problems there. We've always had sposies in the diaper bag until lately, but I'm finding pockets just as easy there too!
ltelly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:16 AM   #8
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have just found what really works for us both budget and ease-wise. We have been CDing my now 1 year old for almost four months and I love it, it's super easy and I wouldn't trade it. I think DH still questions switching sometimes but he goes with the flow of pretty much whatever I do since I'm with DS all day. AND he does a GREAT job CDing DS though lately he's wanted to put a sposie on him instead (I think because he's being lazy). If I go out and don't get the dipe ready, DS usually ends up in a sposie but oh well. I don't argue because that only happens once or twice a week, hehe.

I usually wash every other day because I don't have a big diaper pail. It's usually overflowing by two days so I have to wash. You might find too that the more you get in to CDs, the more you want to try new things. I just recently figured out how to do prefolds and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them and my wool now. I used mostly pockets and some AIOs at first, started trying fitteds and now do prefolds. I like them all but really like my wool and prefolds now. So you may find that the more you get into it, the more experienced you get and the more money you can save even then because you may be able to go the prefold route for the next size up.

Chin up. You will get into the groove and if not, you can sell them and make your money back so no worries!
Old 04-26-2006, 07:19 AM   #9
Tyrity
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think everyone kinda freaks when they're starting up a new stash in the beginning. It's because you spend all this money at once, but when actually sitting down and thinking about it you spend more money on sposies over time and you just end up throwing them away. Resale value on CD's is good so at least with them you make some of your money back KWIM? Not to mention it's so much better for our kids and the environment, which give me peace of mind in CDing.
Washing isnt a big deal either, and it really is a money saver for us in all aspects since we live in base housing and dont pay for water or electric etc... not that washing dipes is totally expensive cause it's not.
I just think once you actually get to start CDing your little one you'll fall in love with it and the benefits are just icing on the cake so to speak. Like I said it's okay to feel the way you do as I think we've all been there in the beginning
Tyrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:06 AM   #10
Bridget Riedell
Registered Users

My Mood:

I switched my little Miriam over to cloth at 10 months old. I was freaking out too. WoW, I am soooooooooooooooooo glad I went this route. I thank God for giving me all the advice of you helpful ladies. Cloth diapering is fun and easy. Her bum is so much healthier for it too! I use Little Beetle Hemp fitteds and they are so trim. I use a jersey wool cover over them most days and it's a very trim combination. My Mutts are trim also, and I am moving onto prefolds as soon as they arrive in the mail. (Fitteds and prefolds) I am going to add the prefolds b/c I don't have enough fitteds. I am excited about using some quality pfds. I tried Gerber with my first two girls and it didn't go well!

Rest assured, you will save money in the long run, even if you used store brand diapers. You can resell most dipes too. If you have any probs, there are lots of people here to help you out too

In Christ, Bridget
Bridget Riedell is offline   Reply With Quote