Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
Lydia'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
This has been asked a million times but...

I sew and crochet and am starting to make my craft To-Do list for newest baby due in Oct. And, well, if you are planning to CD from the start, what are you planning to have in your stash? I've been through this once before but for some reason cannot remember what we did or even if it was enough?

My babies have been 6 lbs 14 oz. and 7 lbs 12 oz. so no big babies, just nice and 'average'. You know, the ones that fit into NB clothes for 2-4 weeks and then grow into 0-3 mos. sizes? Because of this, and experience with DS, I'm thinking OS and smalls are going to be out of the question for the first few weeks.

I'd like to have a nice mix of lots of different types and combos of diapers as it seems that each baby shape and skin type tend to prefer their own 'perfect' diaper.

So here's what I'm thinking of seeing if I can make or put together:

• 2 doz preemie prefolds (either purchased used or extended-tab style made from upcycled materials using the Not-So-Flat-Wrap pattern as a guide)
  • 6 of each size NB and Small PUL or nylon covers (depending on what I can make or find used or on clearence)
  • 5-6 of each size NB and Small wool longies (either upcycled or crochet)
  • 4-5 of each size NB and Small wool soakers (either upcycled or crochet)
  • At least one NB size crochet wool set of longies, hat, booties and mittens in each gender (did I mention we're on team green?)
  • 20 AIO's and/or pockets in size small
  • baby to share DS's 16 receiving blanket flats, maybe make some extra doublers for DS so I don't have to double-fold them for him, thus creating more usable ones for baby Sprout?
  • Maybe another dozen flats or receiving blankets?
  • 15 or so fitteds in each size NB and small
  • Bump my size small Gdiaper cloth inserts to a dozen
  • Currently have a generous stash of cloth wipes that both babies will share.
  • 20 fleece liners in case baby seams to be sensitive to wetness during nighttime and such.

Do you think that'll be enough if I wash every 3 days or so? I will have two in cloth, but I have a diaper-dedicated top-loader washer in the basement that acts as a wet-bag where the regular diaper pails get emptied each night and a rinse cycle is run.

Is there anything I'm missing? Is it maybe too much?

We didn't start CD-ing DD until she was 4 mos old so I don't have any newbie girlie stuff. And most of what I have for newbie sizes is very boy-ish and, well, although we are technically on team green I have a small inkling little Sprout might be a girl so I don't want to rely too much on what I saved from last time so I've got to get a move-on!

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Its never too much! But that just my thinking. Love how organized you are! My goal is 36 diaper changes with 6 covers and 50 wipes bc they poop alot.

You may find you have your favorites and your least favorites so variation is great.

So jealous you can knit. Wish i could learn!
Old 05-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
kaireece
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: This has been asked a million times but...

wow - you are organized and sound way more prepared than I!! I too wish I was talented enough to knit!! You can do up some pretty nice things

Where does one buy preemie prefolds? If I can't sew?
and same with fleece liners?

...sorry to hijack....just curious

I'm going to try and go for 36 diaper changes too. I forgot about wipes......I think I only have a dozen! I need to pick up more work!

ISO: restraint.
kaireece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Lydia'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaireece View Post
wow - you are organized and sound way more prepared than I!! I too wish I was talented enough to knit!! You can do up some pretty nice things

Where does one buy preemie prefolds? If I can't sew?
and same with fleece liners?

...sorry to hijack....just curious

I'm going to try and go for 36 diaper changes too. I forgot about wipes......I think I only have a dozen! I need to pick up more work!
I've heard that LL's have good prefolds. Also Green Mountain Diapers. I, personally, try to shop used here on FSOT or on my local craigslist. Fleece doesn't ravel or fray so to make your own liners cheap just go to the craft store and but some fleece off the remnant rack for 1/2 off the regular price and cut to size. And wipes are cheapest I've heard if you just use those really thin and cheap dollar store packs of baby wipes. Like 5-6 for a dollar I think? Otherwise, I just zig-zag or serge around the edges of a square of thin old towel pinned to a square of flannel.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I got preemie PFs on Cotton Babies...

OP - I agree maybe 12 more flats or maybe 12 newborn size PFs. I agree, you have definitely thought out more scenarios than I have! Sounds like you've got everything you need.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have loved the bummis premie prefolds.

I hate those flimsy baby wash cloths. They will not with stand the repeated washings. They are too thin. Since you will use wipes for more than 2 yrs tske stock in some good ones. I like wipe warmer size. Just my 2 cents. :-)
Old 05-16-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
Lydia'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineybean View Post
I got preemie PFs on Cotton Babies...

OP - I agree maybe 12 more flats or maybe 12 newborn size PFs. I agree, you have definitely thought out more scenarios than I have! Sounds like you've got everything you need.
I do have about a dozen newborn size PF's that I embellished for my son. About 1/2 GN. I think maybe what I'll do is just watch craigslist and rummage sales and see what comes up for cheap in the next few months. If it's more PF's or more flats. Look for about a dozen or so total. Thanks
Old 05-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #8
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia'sMom View Post
I do have about a dozen newborn size PF's that I embellished for my son. About 1/2 GN. I think maybe what I'll do is just watch craigslist and rummage sales and see what comes up for cheap in the next few months. If it's more PF's or more flats. Look for about a dozen or so total. Thanks
GMD has premie prefolds seconds on sale now and in a few weeks they will have more sizes on sale.

For us we are using mainly prefolds and covers until the baby is big enough to fit is small pockets, then DH will use pockets when I have them stuffed. He prefers pockets.
Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
mapleleaf88
Registered Users
seller

Slightly off-topic, but I'm incredibly jealous of your diaper-dedicated washer!! (and the fact that you have a basement )
I'm terrified that my washer is going to break I'm pretty sure that thing is older than I am, and doubt the landlords would replace it, as I'm pretty sure it's an extra and not in my lease or anything.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:22 AM   #10
Lydia'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf88 View Post
Slightly off-topic, but I'm incredibly jealous of your diaper-dedicated washer!! (and the fact that you have a basement )
I'm terrified that my washer is going to break I'm pretty sure that thing is older than I am, and doubt the landlords would replace it, as I'm pretty sure it's an extra and not in my lease or anything.
It really is one of those 'extras' that I didn't start out with at all. DD was 18 mos. when we got the front-loader set (the dryer from our old set started to burn our clothes so I hit up the black friday sales the Nov. before and got our new set for less than just the dryer would have cost us). I had heard that front-loaders were a pain for washing CD's so I begged my DH to let me keep the still-working but water-wasting machine in the basement. Our laundry nook upstairs was a conversion by the previous owners from what used to be the back porch and they left all the hook-ups in the basement so it was easy. We also use the washer in the basement for dirty muddy outside work clothes or anything else that is absolutely horrid and messy. We have a raised ranch so you can walk from the garage right into the basement, DH can shed his work clothes right there and go shower without having to track the mess throughout the house-love it!

My advise if you need a new washer-shop sales or those used places that fix them up and sell them with a warranty and don't let them talk you into a front-loader. You can buy water and energy saving top loaders that are no less efficient but 1/2 the price and with the agitator would be much better with CD's. My in-laws got a really nice washer a few months after we got ours and it was one of those HE top-loaders. Works much better and was dirt-cheap all things considered. My parents bought their set from a place in town that takes new-but-used or scratch n dent appliances, fixes them up, and sells them cheap with an attached warranty. They saved a bunch, too.

Last edited by Lydia'sMom; 05-18-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Lydia'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote