Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #11
GwenV
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: My 41-week appt... feeling a little anxious

I delivered an 11 pd baby but it had it's drawbacks, it was 2 hours of pushing with my 2nd. Delivering on your hands or squatting may help b/c it opens up the pelvic floor so much more than lying on your back. I'm not a small woman either and have decent hips so although DS was always measuring big, the midwife never seemed too concerned. Maybe she would have been if I had gone late? He was my only one born close to due date, all my others have been late. I always say he came on time due to sheer gravity!

Ask questions and really listen to the answers, do research, go with your gut. You're right that the OB is probably looking out for what they feel is best for you.

Advertisement

GwenV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #12
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To be honest, I may find myself in your shoes in the next two weeks and I really don't want to have to make the decision to induce. BTDT with my youngest dd and I DON'T want to do it again. But, if there are less risks involved, I will do it.
Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #13
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree it's about liability. They can't really advise you what to do as it is your choice, but they do need to inform you of the risks. I think you should go with your gut. The majority of babies are born fine at 42 weeks, but obviously if you are post-dates all the risks are increased. It just depends if you are comfortable with that level of risk or not. I personally would not be happy to induce until 42 weeks, but that is just me.

P.S. I have been thinking about you after your last thread about whether you can go into labor with no signs. I was hoping to hear an update and that you were in labor, I really hope the membrane stripping does the trick. Oh another thing... my MW also told me that she would never normally suggest castor oil because of many reasons, but that if it was the day before i was due to get induced, she would recommend trying it as a last resort. So... another option! Go and eat a strong curry as well, I swear it worked for me twice.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
beesbaby2
Registered Users
seller

Your doctor told you the options, listened to your wishes and agreed, and then told you her honest opinion when asked. Sounds like a good doctor to me! I understand your concerns though and I hope your baby comes soon!!!

DD1 10/06, DD2 3/09, and a BOY due 4/4/2012!
beesbaby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #15
Ola_
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
My friend lost her baby in March at 42wks during delivery due to cord compression, which is another risk of going post date.
Really, going post dates increases the risk of cord compression? I'd like to see data to support that statement. Rather it seems to me that it's induction that would increase that risk.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #16
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebee View Post
I agree it's about liability. They can't really advise you what to do as it is your choice, but they do need to inform you of the risks. I think you should go with your gut. The majority of babies are born fine at 42 weeks, but obviously if you are post-dates all the risks are increased. It just depends if you are comfortable with that level of risk or not. I personally would not be happy to induce until 42 weeks, but that is just me.

P.S. I have been thinking about you after your last thread about whether you can go into labor with no signs. I was hoping to hear an update and that you were in labor, I really hope the membrane stripping does the trick. Oh another thing... my MW also told me that she would never normally suggest castor oil because of many reasons, but that if it was the day before i was due to get induced, she would recommend trying it as a last resort. So... another option! Go and eat a strong curry as well, I swear it worked for me twice.
Thanks for your sweet thoughts. I just posted an update!! I think the membrane stripping definitely did the trick along with using the breast pump while sipping my RRL tea.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #17
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

Re: UPDATE!! My 41-week appt... feeling a little anxious

Congratulations!
Join me on Swagbucks

rawheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #18
rainydaysunshine
Registered Users
seller

Wonderful!! Congrats, mama

Little girl, Seren Elise, born at home 11/18! Birth Story
rainydaysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #19
jessica_m_b3
Registered Users
seller

Congratulations!!!!!
Old 05-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #20
chapmanrl6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Congrats! I am so glad your LO is here and everything went well!