Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
x3atthisvolume's Avatar
x3atthisvolume
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 804
Please refer me a midwife

In the Fayetteville, NC area!

I just went to my first OB appointment at Fayetteville Woman's Care, and it is glaringly clear that I need a practice not so...mainstream. I would LOVE to go to the Women's Birth and Wellness Center, but they have a $2,000 dollar administrative fee NOT covered by Tricare, and we just can't afford that right now. I'm fine with driving a bit to get the care and birthing environment I want, the hour and a half to WBWC was worth it to me.

Thank you in advance!

Advertisement

x3atthisvolume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
klevmomma's Avatar
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,497
Re: Please refer me a midwife

Try these sites:

http://www.midwife.org/rp/find.cfm - will give you CNMs

http://www.mothersnaturally.org/midw...ndAMidwife.php - will give you CPMs / DEMs along with a few CNMs (homebirth providers)
__________________
~Amy, Loving wife to E and Happy mama to
K 4/04, L 11/05, E 8/07, V 1/10, J 10/11, and E 5/13
klevmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,790
Re: Please refer me a midwife

What $2K administrative fee do you mean at the birth center that wouldn't be covered? I am a patient of the birth center in chapel hill and this is my 2nd pregnancy with them. There are 2 main fees. The 1st is the global pregnancy fee that they charge for the midwife services (appointments, birth, home visit afterwards) and the 2nd fee is the fee they charge for the facility during the birth. But they bill the whole thing after baby is born as 1 large "global maternity fee". In my situation I will not be birthing at the birth center this time so my "global maternity fee" is about 1/2 of what it would be since I won't be paying the facility fee for the birth but I'm sure I'll have a much larger one for the hospital.

Have you talked to the business person there or the Midwife Billing Services (that's who does the billing and gives you an estimate of your OOP)>
__________________
Awesome Heartsy Deals today! Get $5 credit for signing up and take advantage. Soaps, cookies and baby hats are all feature deals today! http://heartsy.me/users/129212/referral?c=plink
Greenbabybottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
cinderella08's Avatar
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,188
My Mood:
Re: Please refer me a midwife

Are you looking for a homebirth midwife in NC? If so, you aren't going to find many websites or "out in the open" registries with listings of CPMs because midwifery in NC isn't legalized - NC doesn't license CPMs. I do have the names of several un-licensed CPMs in NC though if you are interested you can email me for that info at amber.babiesinbloom@gmail.com. A personal friend of mine as well as two clients are delivering soon in NC with a CPM. Keep in mind though, you won't be able to use ANY insurance - it will all be OOP and run around $3K most likely.

As far as CNMs go - I second the PP regarding looking into the billing, and what your OOP will be.


Good luck!
__________________
Hi, I'm Amber. Wife to an amazing man
Mama to
Ava {12.20.08}, Levi {8.19.10},and Aspen {7.11.13}.
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
apurkeyp's Avatar
apurkeyp
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Where the deer and the antelope roam...
Posts: 1,524
My Mood:
Re: Please refer me a midwife

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella08 View Post
Are you looking for a homebirth midwife in NC? If so, you aren't going to find many websites or "out in the open" registries with listings of CPMs because midwifery in NC isn't legalized - NC doesn't license CPMs. I do have the names of several un-licensed CPMs in NC though if you are interested you can email me for that info at amber.babiesinbloom@gmail.com. A personal friend of mine as well as two clients are delivering soon in NC with a CPM. Keep in mind though, you won't be able to use ANY insurance - it will all be OOP and run around $3K most likely.

As far as CNMs go - I second the PP regarding looking into the billing, and what your OOP will be.


Good luck!
I would be very hesitant to go with someone who is practicing illegally. The quoted above is like saying, "I know cocaine is illegal, but it's ok as long as no one dies from an overdose"

Plus the OP can't afford to pay her birthing center's fee now so suggesting a ILLEGAL CPM is a rather moot point.

There are plenty of CNMs that work out of hospitals in NC and would be covered by Tricare.

Best of luck mama!

Last edited by TJR2119; 05-24-2011 at 05:22 AM.
apurkeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
cinderella08's Avatar
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,188
My Mood:
Re: Please refer me a midwife

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurkeyp View Post
I would be very hesitant to go with someone who is practicing illegally. The quoted above is like saying, "I know cocaine is illegal, but it's ok as long as no one dies from an overdose"

Plus the OP can't afford to pay her birthing center's fee now so suggesting a ILLEGAL CPM is a rather moot point.

There are plenty of CNMs that work out of hospitals in NC and would be covered by Tricare.

Best of luck mama!

Many women choose to be cared for by a non-licensed midwife in many "illegal" or "alegal" states in the US - I am simply giving the OP all of the local options that she may not know exist.

And I am aware of the OP's financial state, but many midwives will barter and work on a sliding scale, whereas a birth center or hospital wont.
__________________
Hi, I'm Amber. Wife to an amazing man
Mama to
Ava {12.20.08}, Levi {8.19.10},and Aspen {7.11.13}.
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #7
apurkeyp's Avatar
apurkeyp
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Where the deer and the antelope roam...
Posts: 1,524
My Mood:
Re: Please refer me a midwife

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella08 View Post
Many women choose to be cared for by a non-licensed midwife in many "illegal" or "alegal" states in the US - I am simply giving the OP all of the local options that she may not know exist.

And I am aware of the OP's financial state, but many midwives will barter and work on a sliding scale, whereas a birth center or hospital wont.
Many people choose to break the law everyday and it certainly doe not make our society more safe. What is your point?

Two wrongs don't make a right.
apurkeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
cinderella08's Avatar
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,188
My Mood:
Re: Please refer me a midwife

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurkeyp View Post
Many people choose to break the law everyday and it certainly doe not make our society more safe. What is your point?

Two wrongs don't make a right.

I was simply giving information about what many others here in her state are choosing to do regarding homebirth, birth center, or hospital. And my point is that I'm offering what I know regarding all of the local options to the OP - she can make her own decision on whether or not she's comfortable with an unlicensed midwife. Many are, many aren't. I'm not trying to persuade her either way - she can make her own decisions after being given the information.
__________________
Hi, I'm Amber. Wife to an amazing man
Mama to
Ava {12.20.08}, Levi {8.19.10},and Aspen {7.11.13}.
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:18 AM   #9
rainydaysunshine's Avatar
rainydaysunshine
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,941
Re: Please refer me a midwife

Just because a state won't license a MW doesn't mean she isn't trained. They go through apprenticeships, ect. like all CPMs, NC just doesn't support the homebirthing community.
__________________
Thia, semi-crunchy wife to G (2005) and mama to Ashur (9/2006) and Julian (3/2010-birth story). Bfing, Dr. Bob vaxing, sling wearing, extended rear facing

Little girl, Seren Elise, born at home 11/18! Birth Story
rainydaysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:40 AM   #10
carlaross's Avatar
carlaross
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 3,976
Re: Please refer me a midwife

We lived in NC during the beginning of my last pregnancy, but moved to GA. We'd planned on going to the birth center in Chapel Hill, did the tour and initial visits, but found out shortly after that we were moving.

They are very nice and have a payment plan to help stretch out the global fees and those not covered by insurance. I would contact Tricare and find out what the approximate OOP is going to be, then talk to the birth center and see what they can work out for you.

You could also apply for pregnancy Medicaid - if you qualify financially, it will cover what your insurance does not.
__________________
Carla ~ paramedic
wife to Chris
mama to 3 boys ages 19, 18, and 4
carlaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.