Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:
zofran pump questions

I got a zofran pump last night. I was wondering a few things.
Is it better to attach at the leg or belly?
The spot where they attached it last night is super sore. Is there anything I can do to prevent the soreness?
Also while I am not throwing up as much today, I'm super not hungry. Is that normal? For example, even brownies and oreos don't sound good.

I would love any advice about using the pump too.

Advertisement

Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

Re: zofran pump questions

I put mine in my leg and rotated legs every 3 days. I'm glad it's helping you. It didn't help me. I hope your hunger comes back w/o the sickness.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
apurkeyp
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&A'smommy View Post
I put mine in my leg and rotated legs every 3 days. I'm glad it's helping you. It didn't help me. I hope your hunger comes back w/o the sickness.
I had it too and it didn't help. However, I do hope that it helps you. I put it in my leg after having such bad reactions on the skin on my tummy. I ended up in the ER with cystitis on my leg. Ugh. I ended up having a PICC line placed but that is a whole different story. Anyway, I know some have had luck in the leg but I would stick with the tummy area and just change sites more often. Hugs. Hyperemesis is no fun. PM me if you need to.

ETA: My home care nurse said that you could rotate the site every day if need be. Also, I was never hungry. My appetite didn't return until the third trimester.

Last edited by apurkeyp; 05-20-2011 at 01:18 PM.
apurkeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

Ohh one more question, For those of you that had the pumps, how did you carry or transport it all day.
The case they gave me is like a shoulder purse. Everytime I bend over or try to do stuff in my kitchen it is constantly in the way or the strap falls off my shoulder.
I'm thinking there must be a way to wear it on a belt or something.
It is too big for my pockets.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
rachelandtyke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you have a black case? Mine looked like a shoulder strap, but I just clipped it around my waist. I wore the shower bag on my shoulder messenger style.

I only ever put it in my leg and changed spots every day, alternating legs. The welts will take a few days to get better. A fattier part of the leg will hurt less overall than a more muscular part.

It made my vomiting go away, but I still dealt with nausea and little appetite. But no more vomiting kept me out of the hospital until delivery.

Hope it helps you!
rachelandtyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&A'smommy View Post
I called the nurse and asked. She said if I need to I can change the site up to twice a day. The only downside is more poking. I don't know that I can do it. I was kind of planning on DH to do that part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apurkeyp View Post
I had it too and it didn't help. However, I do hope that it helps you. I put it in my leg after having such bad reactions on the skin on my tummy. I ended up in the ER with cystitis on my leg. Ugh. I ended up having a PICC line placed but that is a whole different story. Anyway, I know some have had luck in the leg but I would stick with the tummy area and just change sites more often. Hugs. Hyperemesis is no fun. PM me if you need to.

ETA: My home care nurse said that you could rotate the site every day if need be. Also, I was never hungry. My appetite didn't return until the third trimester.
I had to google to find out what a picc line was. I think I would freak if I had to have one for any extended time. I did have one in the hospital but I don't know if I could do that at home.
cystitis does not sound like fun either. My home nurse said to try the leg later today when I get enough nerve or when DH comes home. If it does the same as the belly she said to go back to the belly.
Thanks for your info about being hungry. It is nice to know that it is not just me.
I was on the oral disintegrating pills and they worked for about 1.5-2 weeks, then I think I just got too used to them. I'm hoping that does not happen with the pump because if the next step is a picc line, I'm not sure what I will do.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelandtyke View Post
Do you have a black case? Mine looked like a shoulder strap, but I just clipped it around my waist. I wore the shower bag on my shoulder messenger style.

I only ever put it in my leg and changed spots every day, alternating legs. The welts will take a few days to get better. A fattier part of the leg will hurt less overall than a more muscular part.

It made my vomiting go away, but I still dealt with nausea and little appetite. But no more vomiting kept me out of the hospital until delivery.

Hope it helps you!
yes my case is black. I tried putting it around my belly, but the strap they gave me was not long enough. It is only about 20 inches long.
I think I will try the leg tonight when DH gets home. I'm having issues with inserting the needle myself.
My nurse said I could leave the pump off during a shower if it was time to change the needle part out anyway and the shower was less than 30 minutes. She did give me a shower bag too.
So I guess I have big plans for when DH gets home. Take a shower and change the needle part.