-->
Join Diaperswappers Today!

Join DiaperSwappers and start buying, selling, and trading cloth diapers.
Talk with other moms about parenting. Registration is fast and free. Join Now!

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
TNEarthMama
Registered Users
Formerly: taranbabyjayden
seller

My Mood:
GD testing 1st one ????

My sister called me today, and said that she went for her first GD test today. She was told not to fast (which I thought was normal for the 1st test). Well once she got there, the tech would not let her do the test, cause she had eaten this morning. Sis was upset, she told them that she was told she could eat this test, and if she had failed, then she would have to fast for the 2nd test.

?????? Did they change protocol??? I remember being able to eat for the first test, as normal. But if I had failed it then I would have to fast for the 2nd one.

Advertisement

TNEarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: GD testing 1st one ????

It changes by whatever doctor's office you go to, really. The lack of standardization in testing is one of the reasons that I chose not to do the GD testing. Some say eat, some say fast...it just doesn't make sense.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They all have different rules. But I am surprised they plain said no. The first one is screening. And a broad screening at that.if you have normal insulin function you should be able to eat a cake end test normal on hour later. I would test waaaay high, an obvious sign something is amiss.

I hate hearing people say they skip the GD test. Its o easy, and non invasive, and high blood sugar can have very damaging effects on mom and baby. Even if you just monitor one day a week of home for a couple weeks, which is a lot more poking than the test. The benifits outweigh the risks (I type as I sit in the monitors for my bpp for my own GD)

Any way, just follow their rules and report the tech if she was giving you false info. I'd stand there and nave her call the Dr. No reason to fiddle faddle. I remember my 1 hour was in the middle of the day, so I had had 2 meals.

Oh side note usually GD is more detectable in the morning, but mine is worse in the evening. Go figure.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've never been told to fast before the 1 hour test. I eat my normal breakfast and lunch, do the test, and that's that. I've never failed.

I know some doctors who recommend fasting, though. So it's all confusing .
Old 05-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have heard that it can be different with every practice you go to. I go to a military hospital and their new protocol at mine is to test everyone when you do your first labwork with a fasting glucose reading. So no one has to drink the sugar water unless they have a high reading on that fasting test.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
It changes by whatever doctor's office you go to, really. The lack of standardization in testing is one of the reasons that I chose not to do the GD testing. Some say eat, some say fast...it just doesn't make sense.
yea that. IMO this is a seriously flawed way to test people for GD. It is way more accurate to test your blood sugar over the course of a few days eating what you would normally eat.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I kept a very close eye on my health, ate a healthy diet, and exercised regularly. I don't take insulin resistance lightly, and if I suspected that there was a problem, I would have gotten tested, for what it's worth. I did a lot of research before I declined the test. I don't advise other women to skip it, but for me, it was the best choice. I also pass out when stuck with needles, so I try to limit my exposure to them.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
anahrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think I fasted for the first test. I also always fail the first test and then have to do the 3 hour test and it comes up negative (this happened both pregnancies). I would honestly like to skip the test too and monitor my blood sugar on my own.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

With my first, I fasted for the 1hr and failed. This time, I did not fast and easily passed. I was actually told to eat a protein meal one hour before the draw.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08 View Post
With my first, I fasted for the 1hr and failed. This time, I did not fast and easily passed. I was actually told to eat a protein meal one hour before the draw.
I wonder if there is something to this? I failed my first one as well after and passed the three hour easily, but got really sick. I'm trying to avoid failing this one because the three hour was such a nightmare.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote