Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
swedishmaiden
Registered Users
seller

Re: Having some serious "addiction" problems with food, can this hurt the baby?

I would guess that it's pretty difficult to get too much Vitamin C from whole food sources - it'd be more likely from a supplement.

I'd talk to your doctor as well, though. Not so much because those foods are unhealthy, but because I wonder what might be causing this for you.

Advertisement

swedishmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #12
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would definitely be worried about the sugar. It is possible to overdose on sugar. Try to eat more fat.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #13
percussionsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yup, I'd talk to the doc.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:48 AM   #14
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm gonna say that I think this is pretty normal. Maybe I'm just passive but there were days I couldn't stop myself from eating foods I craved and would travel far to get them. I'm 10.5wks and already doing it! LOL
And you cannot "OD" on natural sugars from fruit and fruit juice if you're not diabetic. I would look up reasons why someone may crave Vit C and go from there. Craving Ice is a HUGE clue that you're anemic. I haven't craved ice in years and also haven't been anemic in years. I love me some crunchy ice but I don't "want" it like I did in the past.
There are typically clues to problems when someone wants to eat abnormal things, these are normal. People process Vit C easily and some people take mega doses daily, 1000's of mg. So I highly doubt strawberries, oranges and orange juice at 37wks is a problem. Sometimes it's all that sounds good, its hydrating and good or you! I would be more worried about the acid effecting your teeth. I used to eat plain lemons with a hint of salt when I was pregnant with my twins. It was just so satisfying. But it made my teeth very sensitive later on.
It's funny how people on here are usually all anti dr when it comes to pregnancy and then someone eats a lot of fruit and OMG call your dr ASAP! What happened to trusting your body?
Old 05-26-2011, 07:54 AM   #15
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Agreed with the vitamin C- I take tons of it, especially when I feel sick. It's pretty much impossible to overdose on the stuff without feeling sick first.

It's the sugar in the juice that is concerning to me, because there is a LOT of sugar in juice. Juice is not the same as fruit, which has fiber and other "stuff" to slow down the absorption of fructose in the body.

I don't know much about craving ice, though. I'll have to look it up. I only craved eggs in my pregnancy, lol.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #16
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can't overdose on a vitamin in its natural form... like you can't eat 10 steaks and overdose on iron.

I think I'd be much, much more worried about overdosing on anything via synthetic vitamins and vitamin supplements.

Otherwise, the only concern is possible anemia and lack of fat. I don't think you have damaged your baby at all, mama.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #17
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
Agreed with the vitamin C- I take tons of it, especially when I feel sick. It's pretty much impossible to overdose on the stuff without feeling sick first.

It's the sugar in the juice that is concerning to me, because there is a LOT of sugar in juice. Juice is not the same as fruit, which has fiber and other "stuff" to slow down the absorption of fructose in the body.

I don't know much about craving ice, though. I'll have to look it up. I only craved eggs in my pregnancy, lol.
Craving ice is actually considered pica and lumped with other non-foods like chalk, dirt, etc. It's a sign that your body is deficient in a prime mineral your body needs. Low iron is a biggy with women of child-bearing age and like others mentioned, giving birth while anemic can lead to even more serious anemia requiring transfusion. But going from borderline to requiring transfusion is pretty rare and something your dr would check if you're showing signs. Fatigue, bruising, pale compection, dark circles under your eyes, etc are more visible signs that your anemic.
I did a little googling after and some sites say it's not really proven that "food" cravings are related to deficiencies. Women often crave sour things in pregnancy, it's more common than a y other craving. These things are all high in folic acid too so maybe its just her body doing it's job!