Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Angel89411
Banned

Amnios

I have never had cause to think I might even need one. I was just reading another post where it was mentioned. I don't know about anyone else but especially considering this can be harmful to your child, not life saving (that I am aware of) and it is a long needle going into your stomach - well there just isn't enough Xanax on this planet to make me calm enough to go through that.

Advertisement

Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
The benefits def outweigh the risks in early amnios for certain testing. But the needle is not giant, in fact it is rather short. The diameter is larger though. And it is all done with ultrasound so the baby doesnt get poked.

It also doesnt hurt much. Any more than a blood draw, the cramp after/while they remove it can suck though.

I had little choice for our amnio. I was 34 weeks and my DD was failing NSTs and BPPs. They needed to deliver her but wanted to check her lung function because of the hospital I was trying to deliver at had no NICU. It was quick an almost painless. I didnt go into labor that day but it did show DDs lungs were mature and she was born the next day. It was great information to have and DD did great.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
Angel89411
Banned

Re: Amnios

The more you know. I never even had to consider it. My view was completely off and I thought it was another way to check for genetic defects and such. Huh...thanks for the info!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had an amnio at 36 weeks to check for lung maturity to get DD2 out as soon as we safely could. There was a team of people: nurses, ultrasound tech, doctors. The amnio took seconds, though the cramping was unpleasant for the rest of the day.

I would never want another one, but I'm grateful they did it, because my DD's lungs came back immature. Which shocked my Dr because I had steroid shots, was 36 weeks along and was having a girl (I was told almost certainly, her lungs would be ready but they had to be sure). Had they just delivered her, I would have had a baby in the NICU.

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:35 AM   #5
Angel89411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raelynn View Post
I had an amnio at 36 weeks to check for lung maturity to get DD2 out as soon as we safely could. There was a team of people: nurses, ultrasound tech, doctors. The amnio took seconds, though the cramping was unpleasant for the rest of the day.

I would never want another one, but I'm grateful they did it, because my DD's lungs came back immature. Which shocked my Dr because I had steroid shots, was 36 weeks along and was having a girl (I was told almost certainly, her lungs would be ready but they had to be sure). Had they just delivered her, I would have had a baby in the NICU.
I am glad they did, too! When did she end up being born?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel894 View Post
I am glad they did, too! When did she end up being born?
I had her at 37w1d. All it took was an additional week to mature her lungs. They say every day in is like 2 days out, so that was potentially 2 weeks in the NICU. they were able to tell by the level of [whatever] in the amniotic fluid exactly where her lungs were at, and knew that a week was enough. Some women have to have a repeat amnio to check again, which I was soooo glad I didn't need.

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
Mommieof3monkeys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had 3 amnios with my last pregnancy all 3 were came back immature and I delivered my son at 38 weeks and he was fine. I will be having another with this pregnancy in 2 weeks, I do not think that the procedure was too bad. But I've had 3 c-sections too.
Amanda wife to Brandon and mama to 4 little ones. L 2005, E, 2008 S, 2010, T 2011, and expecting #5 in December after tubal ligation He's here 12/20/13 So very blessed!
Mommieof3monkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
Abbaloosa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had one for the same reason as those above...low fluid and his lungs weren't matured at 37 wks, so they did the steroid shots and waited 48 hours or so. Never a problem when he was born, thankfully. It was unpleasant, but nothing to panic about.

I have also heard of them being done at 15 wks or so to look for genetic defects, Down's etc.
Abbaloosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
Angel89411
Banned

Wow. I am so glad you all had happy endings. I am glad they have amnios now and if I ever find myself faced with needing one I can go into it without having to be pried of the ceiling first.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

DS#2 had markers for trisomy (13, I think) and downs. His risk of dying from amniotic testing was higher than his risk of having those two things. We refused and went from an obgyn to a birthing center with midwives. His birth was going to be special and if all we had were just moments with him, they would be on our terms.