Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2006, 06:53 AM   #11
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
Re: Well fudge!

LOL, Irene. What do they do with you over there? The glucose tolerance test (GTT) is where you drink this sugary drink thingy and then they pull your blood to see if your body is metabolizing the sugar right (that's the shortest I can explain it). It's a test for gestational diabetes. I failed the one hour - my sugar levels were too high. So now I have to go back in and take the 3 hour test and drink more of the sugary stuff and have blood pulled every hour for 3 hours. Did that help?

Advertisement

Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:01 AM   #12
mommypooh
Registered Users

I have past both my one hours, so I never had to do a three hour. My suggestion is to eat as healthy as you can for the 2 days before, watch the carbs, sugars, and such. With my second one hour test I forgot all about it and ate a huge bowl of lucky charms and then ate like 3 donuts and went and took the test. I did test slightly high and they asked me what I ate and said it was the fact I ate all that sugar and then drank the sugar drink. So it could very likly be the syrup you ate. Thirst if prevelant in pregnancy and is not a good indicator of high sugar, you are more thirsty most likly due to the fact you are carriying twins.

Oh and on another note does anyone else think that glucose drink tastes like Faygo?
mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:47 AM   #13
Kimmomy2dom
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

I think it tastes like Sunkist. I don't know what Faygo is, LOL. Apparently they have a new "lemon-lime" flavor at my Dr. office - I didn't want to push it, though, LOL. I didn't mind the orange last time to I went for that one again.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:56 AM   #14
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I always fail the one hour tests.. With #3 I said no to the 1 hr and went straight for the 3 hr one.. THankfully I passed them all..

They draw all sticks in your arm, around the same place.. Or in the other arm, just depends what vein they get.. You will probably end up with a huge bruise from it, I know I did each time.. Also don't ever get the lemon/lime or cola drink.. It's horrible!! The orange is ok and now they have fruit punch that isnt bad! I remember with my first I had the cola and it actually came back up and I had to redo the test then end up failing that and had to go to the 3 hr!

I just had to fast from midnite on and I was there at 7:30am.. After they did the first draw I was allowed ice chips and a little water but that was all until its over.. They also take urine every time too, imagine that! LOL

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 06-07-2006, 09:01 AM   #15
Kimmomy2dom
seller

My Mood:

LOL, thanks. I wouldn't have taken the cola one, LOL, I'm not sure about that! I was actually surprised the first time how close to actual pop the orange one tasted. The chick that was in there drinking the lemon-lime one seemed pretty grossed out, LOL!! She told me to fast for 12 hours but I can drink water (duh, I hoped so, LOL). I'm thinking I might go to bed early that night, LOL!! Great...I'll wander around all day looking like I have track marks in my arm - wonderful, LOL! I have my Dr. appointment during the test so they'll have my FMU to test for whatever they feel like, LOL. I'm slightly concerned I won't remember to not eat, LOL. I'll have to have DH lock the fridge and cabinets or something...
Old 06-07-2006, 09:05 AM   #16
woolfulcomforts
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmomy2dom
LOL, Irene. What do they do with you over there? The glucose tolerance test (GTT) is where you drink this sugary drink thingy and then they pull your blood to see if your body is metabolizing the sugar right (that's the shortest I can explain it). It's a test for gestational diabetes. I failed the one hour - my sugar levels were too high. So now I have to go back in and take the 3 hour test and drink more of the sugary stuff and have blood pulled every hour for 3 hours. Did that help?

hmm we dont have any test like that. they do check our hymogloben (SP? ) once a month. um never heard of those other test
woolfulcomforts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #17
Knittress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Aww... poor Kimmie (((hugs))). Good luck!
Knittress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:52 AM   #18
deejahd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I failed my 1 hour with my son. It was likely the lemon squares I had for breakfast that morning . Anyway I passed the 3 hour great but they did have trouble getting all my blood (lots of sticks). I actually had conflicting reports from my midwife and the lab people about whether I should have fasted for the 1 hour....but I would definatley not reccomend lemon squares!!

I have a girlfriend who at thier GTT in her Dr.'s practice they give the ladies a choice between eating a premeasured hersheys bar or drinking the drink. I was totally jealous!!
deejahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:05 AM   #19
Kimmomy2dom
seller

My Mood:

Oh, I've heard of people being able to eat Snickers and stuff, LOL. That's OK, I can chug the drink faster. I don't particularly want to eat chocolate quite that early anyway... I think it would make me feel like a pig, LOL!!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:07 AM   #20
childers521
Registered Users

hope everything goes smoothly for your 3 hour test