Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Anyone ever had a footling breech?

I had an AFI scan yesterday at 35 weeks and baby is footling breech. Today my OB called and told me to go straight to l&d with any signs of labor and not to wait at home. I have a c-section scheduled for the end of the month for some reasons, this is just another thing added to it. Do I have to be afraid?

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
apurkeyp
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anyone ever had a footling breech?

The problem with footling breech is that there is not a presenting part against the cervix. If your water breaks, the cord could prolapse or if you labor the cord could become compressed. I wouldn't worry too much as these events are rare but make sure and let your provider know if you are concerned about anything that happens in the next few weeks. Hugs mama.
apurkeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you. Not concerned yet, but have to admit that the cord prolapse thing makes me a bit nervous. And the constant need to pee is just a bit annoying Still try to take it with humor
Old 06-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
crunch!910
Registered Users

Afraid? Not necessarily, but do inform yourself of the risks and benefits. NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS, c-sections are not without risk and you should be informed of those risks. And please do read up and know what to expect. Doctors make it out to be all honkey dorey, but they are not. It is better and more convenient for THEM, but THEY don't have to take care of a newborn with a huge incision in their abdomen. It is a major abdominal surgery. It limits your birth choices for future children (it can be EXTREMELY difficult to find a provider that will do a VBAC), it puts you at increased risk during future pregnancies (placentas seem to like to attach near the scar, which makes it closer to the cervix, which obviously could be a major complication and put you into high risk category - among other things). These are all things my doctor did NOT tell me. Even if it won't change your decision, you have the right to be informed, and FULLY understand the decision you are making.

Also, in case you'd ever like a VBAC, it might be a good idea to request double-layered sutures on your uterus. Some studies say that is better. Some say it doesn't matter. But the way I see it, even if it doesn't help, it doesn't hurt. So if I could go back and make the choice, I'd have requested double layer because if it does help, I'd rather not miss out on that benefit.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
apurkeyp
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsmom View Post
I had an AFI scan yesterday at 35 weeks and baby is footling breech. Today my OB called and told me to go straight to l&d with any signs of labor and not to wait at home. I have a c-section scheduled for the end of the month for some reasons, this is just another thing added to it. Do I have to be afraid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch!910 View Post
Afraid? Not necessarily, but do inform yourself of the risks and benefits. NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS, c-sections are not without risk and you should be informed of those risks. And please do read up and know what to expect. Doctors make it out to be all honkey dorey, but they are not. It is better and more convenient for THEM, but THEY don't have to take care of a newborn with a huge incision in their abdomen. It is a major abdominal surgery. It limits your birth choices for future children (it can be EXTREMELY difficult to find a provider that will do a VBAC), it puts you at increased risk during future pregnancies (placentas seem to like to attach near the scar, which makes it closer to the cervix, which obviously could be a major complication and put you into high risk category - among other things). These are all things my doctor did NOT tell me. Even if it won't change your decision, you have the right to be informed, and FULLY understand the decision you are making.

Also, in case you'd ever like a VBAC, it might be a good idea to request double-layered sutures on your uterus. Some studies say that is better. Some say it doesn't matter. But the way I see it, even if it doesn't help, it doesn't hurt. So if I could go back and make the choice, I'd have requested double layer because if it does help, I'd rather not miss out on that benefit.
Did you read the bolded? She is already having a C-section but thanks for your anti-doctor rhetoric. It is getting tiring.
apurkeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

mama, I wouldn't mess around with footling, just my opinion for me and since you're already having a c-section it won't add anymore risk factor. You'll most likely know you're in labor before your water breaks so you should already be at the hossy and ready to meet baby before any complications could arise. Good luck!
Old 06-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
loving my family
Registered Users

My niece was breech with her feet down< my sisters ob tried to turn her but it cut her heart beat in half because she had noosed herself with the cord. So they stopped and she rotated back to where she was sitting.
They rushed to get her out when they did the c-section because they were worried about the cord getting pulled tight & cutting her oxygen off. She was a healthy 6lbs 6.5 oz baby born 3 & half weeks early.
Anyways the other thing is that only 80% of women can get pregnant & stay pregnant after having a c-section because of the scar tissue. My sister only has 1 child because of where they want to implant is where that scar tissue is. So she has pretty much given up on being able to have any more do to her losses. I don't blame her it has been hard.
I wish you well with your up coming c-section & hope you have a speedy recovery
loving my family is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks. As mentioned I have a c-section allready scheduled, was just asking for advice about the footling position. Crunch, there are several factors for me for having a c-section, I had a previous c-section after 16 hours of natural labor and 3 hours of pushing and ds's head (he was sunny side up) would not descent far enough to help with forceps or pump. He got stressed and I had an emergency c-section. With a breech position I would not even attempt a vaginal birth after not being able to push baby out in head down position. But I have certain other 'risk factors' for not attempting vaginal birth, including advanced maternal age, IVF baby, gestatational diabetes with larger measuring baby, increased amniotic fluid and now the footling position, which is not even a common presentation in breech babys and holds a higher risk. I am more worried now to go into labor before my schedule date because of the posibility of a cord prolapse (which is also more common in footlings).
Old 06-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

no advice just hope that everything goes well
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving my family View Post
My niece was breech with her feet down< my sisters ob tried to turn her but it cut her heart beat in half because she had noosed herself with the cord. So they stopped and she rotated back to where she was sitting.
They rushed to get her out when they did the c-section because they were worried about the cord getting pulled tight & cutting her oxygen off. She was a healthy 6lbs 6.5 oz baby born 3 & half weeks early.
Anyways the other thing is that only 80% of women can get pregnant & stay pregnant after having a c-section because of the scar tissue. My sister only has 1 child because of where they want to implant is where that scar tissue is. So she has pretty much given up on being able to have any more do to her losses. I don't blame her it has been hard.
I wish you well with your up coming c-section & hope you have a speedy recovery
Lol, both of my kids are IVF babys it was hard enough as it is to get here. We are so incredibly blessed that it worked out twice for us that we will not try again (nor can we afford it!) . I will not even try to turn the baby, if she is comfortable this way so be it. My concern is exactly like in your sisters case that it will only put stress on the baby. It is not about the method of delivery for me, I need my baby to be safe and healthy. I just hope I will not have to deliver earlier than scheduled (at 39 weeks) and I am not breaking my water early.