Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What anti-depressants during pregnancy?

I have been trying to read about which ones are safer than others but they all seem to have their risks. I think the benefits may outweigh the risks at this point. I'm in the process of becoming a single mom to 5, soon to be 6. I'm almost 12 weeks so I'm not too worried about taking them in the 1st trimester which increases birth defects, but I've read 3rd trimester use can increase heart and lung problems. I've dealt with depression in the past and was on Zoloft, Prozac and tried Celexa for a short time. I have an appointment on Tues. and want to talk to my OB about which ones are safer than others if I have to take one.

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What anti-depressants during pregnancy?

I am taking Zoloft(150mg/day) and I also took it all through my first pregnancy. DD is fine, didn't have any issues at birth and I was on it from day one with her. So far, DS also looks perfect. My OB and I spoke at length about the pros/cons and decided, for me, that the risks outweighed the benefits.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I JUST weaned off my effexor which i still feel like i need. I am round and round on this bc everything i have read has all these neg effects on the baby Im using a mw and having ahomebirth and due to insurance and our deductable being through the roof we wont meet it. So my decision was based of the baby and the risks. After talking to DH about this for a very long time, if something were to happen with the effexor and the baby like preterm labor or withdrawls ect our deductable would not have been met to cover the hospital bills. It is cheaper for us to straight pay a MW then pay the deductable THEN turn around and pay it again in Jan. So for now this is what we dec, but i have only been off them for a week and can already feel the anxiety. as a mama that can very much relate talk to your dr. Mine is very open to letting me stay on them until the third trimester, but she does want me to know there are always risks.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks mamas. I'm just feeling myself get worse and worse. I've wanted to take them for a long time but haven't had insurance or go to a dr regularly and honestly, felt I was making a bigger deal of it than it was. But lately things have gotten harder (obviously) and I'm afraid the stress will be worse for my baby & I than the meds. I have anxiety as well and hope whatever I take will help that too.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

I have heard of several people taking Zoloft during pregnancy
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
GreysBumatomy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I took Celexa this whole pregnancy until a few weeks ago when we switched me to Zoloft (its better for BFing). With my disorders i cannot function without SSRIs.
GreysBumatomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thank you ladies, I will talk to my OB Tues. about what she thinks is safest for both pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi
Thank you ladies, I will talk to my OB Tues. about what she thinks is safest for both pregnancy and breastfeeding.
I take effexor but had to stop taking it because it makes my morning sickness ten times worse! I do well with it when not prego though. I would still be taking it if or wasn't for the morning sickness. I'm hoping to find something else that won't make me more sick!
Old 06-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Brady

I take effexor but had to stop taking it because it makes my morning sickness ten times worse! I do well with it when not prego though. I would still be taking it if or wasn't for the morning sickness. I'm hoping to find something else that won't make me more sick!
Thanks for the heads up... Zoloft actually made me super nauseous and I couldn't eat for like 3 days and lost my milk supply that was already fragile. One side dried up over night and the other took a week even after I started eating, drinking, mothers milk tea and oatmeal. I think if I was already on it I wouldn't have that problem.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
moteq
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I took several months to switch from Lamictal to Zoloft before ttc. Though I don't think it's officially approved for use during pregnancy, Zoloft has the most documented track record of the ssris, and is anecdotally considered safe. Feel free to pm if you have q's.