Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:
Anyone who had to travel to get to your birth center/hospital/whatever....

Please come in and tell me how things went, I'm just a little bit paranoid

My birth center is about 80 miles away, thankfully all but 6 miles of that is on the interstate though! I'm just kind of freaking out because I've been induced both times with my other kiddos, and I'm not sure how fast my labor is going to go if it's natural. Plus I can kind of ignore contractions (oh, hmmm, must be BH) until I hit transition, and at that point it's inevitable that the baby will be born within 2 hours. I don't want to spend transition in the car, and I would also like to avoid having the baby IN the car or on the side of the road

Advertisement

USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone who had to travel to get to your birth center/hospital/whatever....

If it were me... I would just go a little earlier... if anything go to somewhere close to the hospital, a mall, coffee shop, whatever, and then walk around there for a while rather than be in transition in the car for an hour! That is my worst worst nightmare! Not even to give birth in the car but to have to be sitting in the seat when I need to move around! And part of the reason I am having a homebirth this time because I also have quick labors!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Oh I plan on heading out there as SOON as I *know* I'm in labor...I'm just kind of worried about not realizing I'm in labor until it's more intense kwim?
Old 06-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #4
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

The hospital I deliver at is about 60 miles away, in Atlanta. I delivered both my kids there, although DS1 was an induction. With DS2, I just left as soon as my contractions were 4-5 minutes apart. Atlanta is notorious for the horrific traffic (both on and off the interstate)... we left a little earlier than we would have if the hospital had been closer, just in case we got stuck in traffic. And like you said, I did NOT want to spend transition in the car, LOL! Once we reached the hospital, we just kind of hung out in the area until I felt like it was really time to get checked in.

We have the same plan this time around... we'll leave for Atlanta once my contractions are regular and a little painful. Not waiting until they're really painful makes the car ride a tad more enjoyable . If we get there earlier than needed, we'll just walk around the stores and wait for things to pick up.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
crunch!910
Registered Users

I will have to travel 1+ hr for a future birth, so I'll love to read the replies here too.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I delivered my first over an hour away. But I didn't go in labor - I had to be admitted due to HELLPS.

I'll be delivering about 110 miles away next time (hopefully - Lord willing I don't deal with HELLPS or Preeclampsia and do NOT need to be induced for the first time!).

I'm interested in see the replies!
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
tractrg1rl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I had to travel about 2 hours for the birth of my son so when contractions were about 5-6 minutes apart, we got on the road (bumpy thanks to construction. Boo!). I walked around the mall for a bit, the park for a bit & even in the hospital parking lot before I checked in when they were about 2 minutes apart. I wanted to arrive as well established into labor as I could be to get my VBAC & I did.

My IHA/ISO: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1272292
tractrg1rl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractrg1rl View Post
I had to travel about 2 hours for the birth of my son so when contractions were about 5-6 minutes apart, we got on the road (bumpy thanks to construction. Boo!). I walked around the mall for a bit, the park for a bit & even in the hospital parking lot before I checked in when they were about 2 minutes apart. I wanted to arrive as well established into labor as I could be to get my VBAC & I did.

I just wanted to say good for you mama!! I think that is awesome
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractrg1rl View Post
Awesome how it worked out for you! I hope I get that lucky
Old 06-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #10
Mrs.Rusty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm traveling 25 miles. Not nearly as far as you. But all but like 3 miles is highway for me. depending on the traffic it can be from under 30 minutes to almost 2h.