Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Anyone who had to travel to get to your birth center/hospital/whatever....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama.timms View Post
The hospital I deliver at is about 60 miles away, in Atlanta. I delivered both my kids there, although DS1 was an induction. With DS2, I just left as soon as my contractions were 4-5 minutes apart. Atlanta is notorious for the horrific traffic (both on and off the interstate)... we left a little earlier than we would have if the hospital had been closer, just in case we got stuck in traffic. And like you said, I did NOT want to spend transition in the car, LOL! Once we reached the hospital, we just kind of hung out in the area until I felt like it was really time to get checked in.

We have the same plan this time around... we'll leave for Atlanta once my contractions are regular and a little painful. Not waiting until they're really painful makes the car ride a tad more enjoyable . If we get there earlier than needed, we'll just walk around the stores and wait for things to pick up.
We have been stuck in Atlanta traffic numerous times, that would be a nightmare! thankfully traffic is usually not too bad here, we are going from the far side of Augusta to the nearer side of Columbia, if that makes sense

Advertisement

USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
sunnygirlmomof6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I live in northeast alabama and am traveling to Chattanooga Tennessee for my birth. It is an hour and a half drive for us, IF there is no traffic problems. I go that far so that I can have a midwife, but be in a hospital. Alabama does not have that option. I love it in Tennessee. They treat you like a person, not an animal. I am able to labor how I want. My DH is really nervous that we might not make it, but I am not. ALL of my labors have been LONG and it takes me forever to dilate, so I do not see how this one will be different. As of now, I am at 3cm with mild, irregular contractions. I go for my next checkup this thursday, if I make it til then! LOL
Old 06-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
lifeabroad
Registered Users

I'm traveling 1.5 hrs and am a little nervous too! This is #2 so I just figure we will try to go earlier and hang out somewhere if I need too
Old 06-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #14
ABCMommy2
Registered Users

My doctor for my first pregnancy is a little more than an hour away. My doctor said once I'm 5 mins apt heD to the hospital, I ended up heading to the hospital when my contractions were 7-10 mins apart. By the time I actually got to the hospital they were 3 mins apart. So deff leave early
ABCMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #15
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Mine was only 30 mins we left when contractions were pretty regular i think i was a 4 when arrived.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:59 AM   #16
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My birth center is 1 1/2-2 hours from us on a good traffic day (which generally most are the route we take). I also have very long labors though, with my last I left my house when contractions were 5 minutes apart and had been for several hours and they actually slowed down when we got in the car and then picked back up when we got out.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:04 AM   #17
jessica_m_b3
Registered Users
seller

I'll be traveling over an hour away to the nearest VBAC hospital and I'm already a nervous wreck too!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #18
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah I would just go early. I know I made the 20-25 minute ride to our hospital in transition and that was literally the worst 20-25 minutes of my labor!

BTW, not to thread hijack, but seeing a few NE Alabama and NWGA moms on this post, just thought I'd let you know that I had an all-natural VBAC at FLoyd Medical Center in Rome. Just in case you all were looking for something a little closer next time.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #19
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryChicMama View Post
Yeah I would just go early. I know I made the 20-25 minute ride to our hospital in transition and that was literally the worst 20-25 minutes of my labor!

BTW, not to thread hijack, but seeing a few NE Alabama and NWGA moms on this post, just thought I'd let you know that I had an all-natural VBAC at FLoyd Medical Center in Rome. Just in case you all were looking for something a little closer next time.
Floyd Medical is only about 20-30 minutes from me, and I've had two friends deliver there. Both were natural deliveries, and they have only wonderful things to say about that hospital. We considered it with this baby, but I absolutely love the hospital I deliver at... I delivered my other kids there, and know the atmoshere, KWIM? I'm not fond of change, LOL!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #20
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

my hospital is about 20 minutes away from my house and 5 minutes away from my parents house