Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #21
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone who had to travel to get to your birth center/hospital/whatever....

no advice really, but pay attention to your body! I was in denial that I was truly even in labor or at how progressed I might be.

We lived only 15 minutes from our hossy and I ended up going through transition in the car and on the way to the birthing center with ds2, lol, NOT on purpose and that's why we are staying at home this time

But my MW is an hour away, she said to call earlier than later.

Advertisement

5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:10 AM   #22
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow! Kudos to you ladies for even trying!!! Our first was a homebirth but this baby will be hospital baby. Our hospital is only 10-15 minutes away. I can imagine going 2 hours away!! With DD I dialated to 4 the week before I went into labor, so my entire labor was only 6 hours, by the time contractions became regular I was 3 hours into labor!
mrscompgeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:45 AM   #23
percussionsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had to travel about 1.25 hrs to birth center. There was construction AND we had to stop to get gas

I had been having prodromal labor and didn't believe it was real. Finally when my husband was throwing a fit because I was just wanting to stay in the bed and he knew it was happening, we left. I arrived at 8cm and transitioning. I pushed in the next 30 min and baby boy #2 was born about 50min after arriving at the hospital.

Some tips (I thought I was prepared, HA! Lets laugh together!~):
1. Keep your car filled up with gas...even if you've been having a lot of starts and stops. This night might be the time labor doesn't stall out!
2. DO NOT put the car seat in the back seat. I had installed it in a fit of excitement and hadn't shown hubby how to uninstall. Wouldn't have been too big a deal but our oldest was coming along with us so there were two car seats in the backseat and thats where I wanted to be!
3. Know which door to go to at the hospital in case you do progress quickly and are in transition and have to get BACK into the car to go to a different entrance! *(YUP!)
4. Call the hospital to notify them when you are almost there. When we arrived there was no one to receive us?!!?! My husband had to track down some medical staff and leave my transitioning grotesque self and my older son alone in the waiting room!
5. Clean out your car. AND KEEP IT THAT WAY (we had cleaned it all out near my due date, but a lot happens in a week+) In the very back of my mind I was thinking about how dirty the car seemed. I think there might have been a cheerio stuck on my leg when I first got out of the car!

On the positive side, it actually went very smoothly. The ride wasn't terrible. I was in the back (in between the front passenger seat and back seat-like a squatting position on the back floor board) with my 4yo who was actually coaching me because daddy was so focused on driving. He was wonderful! Both of them were. I told him between contractions not to talk to mommy while I was closing my eyes and he did brilliantly. "Its ok mommy, the baby is ready to be with us!"

Last edited by percussionsmith; 06-07-2011 at 06:49 AM.
percussionsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #24
norsejenta
Registered Users
seller

Have you thought of getting a motel room near the hospital when you are in labor? That way you can get comfortable as possible while waiting for your labor to progress. If you are in labor in the middle of the night you probably won't be able to walk around the mall. Maybe you could walk around Wal-Mart in the middle of the night, but then you will have to dodge janitors and stockers. And you don't want to be a feature on the People of Walmart site. Sorry, I just think that site is hilarious. LOL. Many motels near hospitals give a discount to families of hospital patients. Then your husband can rub your back and you can be in a comfortable position, until you are certain you are ready for the hospital. Your 80 mile trip would be less stressful knowing you had some time to relax before the delivery. If you have a doula she could meet you at your motel also. Just an idea.
norsejenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #25
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by percussionsmith View Post
I had to travel about 1.25 hrs to birth center. There was construction AND we had to stop to get gas

I had been having prodromal labor and didn't believe it was real. Finally when my husband was throwing a fit because I was just wanting to stay in the bed and he knew it was happening, we left. I arrived at 8cm and transitioning. I pushed in the next 30 min and baby boy #2 was born about 50min after arriving at the hospital.

Some tips (I thought I was prepared, HA! Lets laugh together!~):
1. Keep your car filled up with gas...even if you've been having a lot of starts and stops. This night might be the time labor doesn't stall out!
2. DO NOT put the car seat in the back seat. I had installed it in a fit of excitement and hadn't shown hubby how to uninstall. Wouldn't have been too big a deal but our oldest was coming along with us so there were two car seats in the backseat and thats where I wanted to be!
3. Know which door to go to at the hospital in case you do progress quickly and are in transition and have to get BACK into the car to go to a different entrance! *(YUP!)
4. Call the hospital to notify them when you are almost there. When we arrived there was no one to receive us?!!?! My husband had to track down some medical staff and leave my transitioning grotesque self and my older son alone in the waiting room!
5. Clean out your car. AND KEEP IT THAT WAY (we had cleaned it all out near my due date, but a lot happens in a week+) In the very back of my mind I was thinking about how dirty the car seemed. I think there might have been a cheerio stuck on my leg when I first got out of the car!

On the positive side, it actually went very smoothly. The ride wasn't terrible. I was in the back (in between the front passenger seat and back seat-like a squatting position on the back floor board) with my 4yo who was actually coaching me because daddy was so focused on driving. He was wonderful! Both of them were. I told him between contractions not to talk to mommy while I was closing my eyes and he did brilliantly. "Its ok mommy, the baby is ready to be with us!"
Love this story, thank you!! I can totally see me being annoyed with a cheerio stuck to my leg too lol

Quote:
Have you thought of getting a motel room near the hospital when you are in labor? That way you can get comfortable as possible while waiting for your labor to progress. If you are in labor in the middle of the night you probably won't be able to walk around the mall. Maybe you could walk around Wal-Mart in the middle of the night, but then you will have to dodge janitors and stockers. And you don't want to be a feature on the People of Walmart site. Sorry, I just think that site is hilarious. LOL. Many motels near hospitals give a discount to families of hospital patients. Then your husband can rub your back and you can be in a comfortable position, until you are certain you are ready for the hospital. Your 80 mile trip would be less stressful knowing you had some time to relax before the delivery. If you have a doula she could meet you at your motel also. Just an idea.
I have definitely thought about it and I would if I need to I'm more concerned with labor starting and then I end up thinking it's just a false alarm or braxton hicks or I'm crampy because I didn't drink enough water...and then it gets more intense and I'm like oh crap we have to go
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:06 AM   #26
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCgirl_05 View Post

I have definitely thought about it and I would if I need to I'm more concerned with labor starting and then I end up thinking it's just a false alarm or braxton hicks or I'm crampy because I didn't drink enough water...and then it gets more intense and I'm like oh crap we have to go
Thats what I would be concerned about. With this being your 4th too your labor can go faster. How long were your other labors? My moms gradually got faster with each child. Her 4th baby was 5 hours he was not in the right birthing position so it took a while to push.
Sorry not trying to scare you, just what I know!
mrscompgeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #27
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was 5 minutes from the hospital and barely made it. But, I don't remember having any contractions in the car...she was born after 15 more minutes of pushing at the hospital.

A doula friend said that a good tip if you're laboring at home is to not get IN the water. Labor in the shower if you want, but don't get into a bath, because it can make things progress a lot faster if you're really relaxed in there.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #28
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscompgeek View Post
Thats what I would be concerned about. With this being your 4th too your labor can go faster. How long were your other labors? My moms gradually got faster with each child. Her 4th baby was 5 hours he was not in the right birthing position so it took a while to push.
Sorry not trying to scare you, just what I know!
It's my 3rd but my first 2 were both inductions so I'm not really sure how it will go...with DD they started pit at around 7 AM and I had her at 5 pm. DS was posterior so his took longer but was around 10 hours I would say. So I just have a feeling that if I go into labor naturally when my body is really ready it might be shorter!

Quote:
A doula friend said that a good tip if you're laboring at home is to not get IN the water. Labor in the shower if you want, but don't get into a bath, because it can make things progress a lot faster if you're really relaxed in there.
Well that's good because we don't have a nice (big) tub anyways, if I tried to take a bath half my body would probably be sticking out of the water and that's not very relaxing!
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #29
niadara
Registered Users
seller

My birth center is 111 miles door to door. 15 of which were not interstate. I went into labor at 11pm, just slight cramps, they came every 3 minutes for 30 seconds or so, and it went like this all night. At 7am my DH made me call the midwives, they said come down, worst case you guys go to the zoo and go back home. I continued to labor like that, it was a Sunday, so the drive was only 90 minutes. I turned out to be 3cm/80% and we agreed to a membrane sweep with EPO. We then went out for lucnh with our doula who had come too and whilst I was eating, boom real labor. DD was born at 439pm that day... everything worked out perfectly. It was early labor and my body was holding out til we were in the city of the birthing center....
My first -water broke, nothing, hospital, labor started on its own about 16 hours or so after my water broke...

Edit: my midwives wanted me to come at first sign of labor (but I didn't want to get up that night, haha) because I have had a baby before (goes quicker then) and we live so far away. We did keep gas in the car at all times.

Last edited by niadara; 06-09-2011 at 10:26 AM.
niadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #30
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygirlmomof6 View Post
I live in northeast alabama and am traveling to Chattanooga Tennessee for my birth. It is an hour and a half drive for us, IF there is no traffic problems. I go that far so that I can have a midwife, but be in a hospital. Alabama does not have that option. I love it in Tennessee. They treat you like a person, not an animal. I am able to labor how I want. My DH is really nervous that we might not make it, but I am not. ALL of my labors have been LONG and it takes me forever to dilate, so I do not see how this one will be different. As of now, I am at 3cm with mild, irregular contractions. I go for my next checkup this thursday, if I make it til then! LOL
Which midwife and hospital are you using? I'm about an hour north of Chattanooga. I'm planning on using the birthing center in Cookeville (another hour north of me) for my next birth, but I haven't been there to check it out yet so I'd like to have a second option. Good luck with your birth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsejenta View Post
I'm already planning on doing this for my next birth, and I'm not even pregnant yet! LOL. I think it's a great idea. That way if I think I'm in labor, we can just drive over and hang out for awhile.
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote