Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2011, 06:05 AM   #1
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Champagne + Pregnancy = ?

Please be nice, ladies.

I live a good, clean pregnant life, take E and C vitamins, get good nutrition, no alcohol, no caffeine, only whole foods, except maybe a bit too much ice cream. But I'm wondering, would you have a champagne on a very special occasion late in your 3rd tri? Assuming my queasy stomach can even handle it, is there any research or anything I can cite saying essentially, "it's okay, no babies will be harmed in the sipping of this champagne...?"

This is kinda important, because I would be at the family picnic celebrating a very special once in a lifetime occurance. The family aren't a bunch of finger waggers, but I'd just want to be able to say something if someone voiced a concern I guess. Unless there is something harmful about having one glass, then I'm taking notes.

Thanks.

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
Emma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Champagne + Pregnancy = ?

Yes.

ETA: I've had small amounts of wine in each of my pregnancies in the 2nd/3rd trimesters. I had a previous OB tell me that small, judicious amounts after the first trimester aren't going to cause any problems. I don't have any studies/research on this though.

Last edited by Emma; 06-06-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
newtodiaper78
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't have any experience with alcohol during pregnancy, but I think a little bit should be ok if it's just a few sips. Plus you've been good for the entire pregnancy and most of the baby's important development has already occurred.

There are some research out there on alcohol and pregnancy, but somehow it's split into 2 camps. Some are more lenient and others more doom-and-gloom. But as long as you're aware and know what you're getting yourself into, then it's up to you.

If you are still a bit hesitant, ask your OB for advice.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:40 AM   #4
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not on my personal computer so I don't have links. While it personally isn't something I do, I do not feel it is a huge issue. There are studies that show that just like in breastfeeding, the occasional beer or glass of wine appears harmless during pregnancy.

I'll come back with links for you
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:41 AM   #5
HisGrace
Registered Users
seller

I was in my 3rd tri for New Year's. I asked my ob if a small amount of champagne would be ok at midnight. He said it would be fine. I think I had the equivalent of what you could fit in a shot glass,so just a few sips.

There seems to be to very different view points. A lot of people/doctors say absolutely not. But there are also quite a bit that say a little is fine. I would ask hour ob.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:46 AM   #6
MrsJordan85
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The placenta is such a protective amazing organ it shouldn't cause problems. Women used to drink martinis and smoke through pregnancy and somehow *most* of the babies were still okay. If I were in your shoes, I would probably go for it. While I have never drank any alcohol during pregnancy, I have had friends drink 1/2 beer or a small glass of wine at the end and no issues. I think a small glass would be okay. You could even pour it over ice to water it down (don't know about taste there, but I don't drink champagne)
Old 06-06-2011, 06:50 AM   #7
rainydaysunshine
Registered Users
seller

As a PP said, I have had a bit of alcohol w/ each of my pregnancies. The occasional glass of wine or low alcohol beer, sometimes even at the suggestion of my MW. IMO, a small glass of champagne would be harmless, especially in your 3rd trimester.

Little girl, Seren Elise, born at home 11/18! Birth Story
rainydaysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #8
jessica_m_b3
Registered Users
seller

A little bit of alcohol in the third trimester is okay! We celebrated our second wedding anniversary when I was 34ish weeks pregnant with DS1 and I had a small glass of red wine.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #9
kateroc
Registered Users
seller

Check out this link: http://parentingsquad.com/yes-you-ca...while-pregnant

Like PPs, I'm pretty relaxed about the occasional small glass of wine in 2nd and 3rd tris, but it's all about your comfort level. If you're going to worry and lose sleep, then it's just not worth it!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mw actually suggested I drink half a glass of wine at the beginning of my labor to help me relax. If you're concerned about it, you could always just ask your provider.