Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #11
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Champagne + Pregnancy = ?

I've had it suggested to me by my midwives that a glass of wine and bath can do wonders. That being said, I think like with everything, in moderation is fine. Unless you're exposing baby to regular consumption, I can't see it being an issue.

I mean, some still use whiskey on the gums for teething. A sip of champagne isn't much more than that.

Advertisement

Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #12
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

^^ Oh I lose sleep and worry, but it's nothing to do with having a glass! I think it just comes with the 3rd tri territory.

Thank you for the responses, everyone. I usually let the "you should really do it this way" comments roll off, but I'd rather not be perceived as careless.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #13
sweetpeamami83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree. A small drink here and there in pregnancy isn't going to hurt anything. My midwife has also told me there is not a problem with having a drink now and then. I have had the occasional beer. I think other countries have less of a stigma then the us when it comes to women having a glass of wine or a beer while pregnant.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd do it. I had a half a glass of wine last week to help some premature labor contrax that weren't settling down (it worked) and for a special occasion, I'd definitely have champagne. Probably not a whole glass for me, but that's because I'm a lightweight and get a really nice buzz off a whole glass of anything.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #15
sblakeley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Should be just fine as PP said. At 20w I acvidently took a big swig of bourbon and diet, talk about serious yuck yuck yuck. The waiter at my BIL wedding mixed my drink up with someone else's and brought me the wrong one. Must have been a shock to the person expecting that getting my flat caffeine free coke.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #16
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

The stats on fetal alcohol syndrome go like this:

children who are born to women who consumed FIVE DRINKS A DAY were likely to have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. Children born to women who consumed THREE DRINKS A DAY were likely to have mental development issues. (This isn't in one day but through out pregnancy.)

Therefore, there is no known safe level of alcohol consumption during pregnancy.

Does this even make sense? It's like saying because the Hiroshima bomb emited enough radiation to kill many people, don't get an X-ray. (I know it's not the same thing). The idea that an OCCASIONAL glass of wine will have the same as FIVE drinks a day is a fear-mongering tactic to keep us "little ladies from harming our babies" is what bothers me.

Plus if someone is consuming five drinks a day, they probably have a lot of other problems.

Last edited by AniMommy; 06-06-2011 at 10:27 AM.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #17
kateroc
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMommy View Post
The stats on fetal alcohol syndrome go like this:

children who are born to women who consumed FIVE DRINKS A DAY were likely to have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. Children born to women who consumed THREE DRINKS A DAY were likely to have mental development issues. (This isn't in one day but through out pregnancy.)

Therefore, there is no known safe level of alcohol consumption during pregnancy.

Does this even make sense? It's like saying because the Hiroshima bomb emited enough radiation to kill many people, don't get an X-ray. (I know it's not the same thing). The idea that an OCCASIONAL glass of wine will have the same as FIVE drinks a day is a fear-mongering tactic to keep us "little ladies from harming our babies" is what bothers me.

Plus if someone is consuming five drinks a day, they probably have a lot of other problems.
Well said mama!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #18
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

absolutely.
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #19
Argonaut8
Registered Users
seller

Another in agreement here. I think these blanket statements about absolutely no alcohol and about other things we're supposed to abstain from are great as a general rule and from a public health standpoint. But I think a healthy, intelligent pregnant woman also has the right to make an informed decision about which rules they feel comfortable bending and/or breaking.

My personal experience includes being 6 months pregnant on my 21st birthday and having half a glass of wine with my dinner, and also being 6 months pregnant at my wedding and having a glass of champagne. I don't feel a single shred of guilt for either occasion. I also believe in occasional, moderated, judicious consumption of a few other pregnancy no-no's like soft cheeses and sushi..
Old 06-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #20
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it's ok here and there. Just like with anything in pregnancy, I go in moderation. Tuna, bleu cheese dressing, caffeine...all this stuff I still consume but I'm not eating or drinking outrageous amounts.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote