Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
Kätzchen's Avatar
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,554
Pediatrician Questions: Need some advice!

There is supposedly one pediatrician in town that is 'breastfeeding friendly' and 'open minded', however, the office does not allow meeting/interviewing before birth. I went through a lot of trouble to schedule an appointment prior to my daughter's birth and they are charging me $250 cash for an interview.

I am planning a midwife assisted vbac homebirth, but, if I do end up transferring to the hospital, I want all of my grounds covered, including a Ped. that will oversee my baby immediately after birth.

I have a lot of not-so-common requests I would like to be considered before my daughter is born, though I have called the hospital and discussed with the head of the nursing staff, I feel it'd be a very difficult battle.

The hospitals in my area are not so baby friendly, and I would most certainly like to avoid an 'on-call' Pediatrician, so- long question short, what should I go over at this interview?

My husband and I are not very knowledgeable on American routine and despite my trying efforts, I'm still getting conflicting information.

We do not want eye ointment of any kind.
We do not want any vaccinations.
We will be bringing our own oral vit. K if the birth is for some reason rough.
I do not want anyone offering/giving samples/trying to persuade me to bottle feed. It's annoying and unnecessary.
In this hospital the hearing tests/exams are done in the nursery, this makes me uncomfortable.
I will be having having my midwife preform the PKU two days after birth.
I was told over the phone that it was unheard of and strange to bring your own diapers, and that they'd probably refuse to use them if they took her for exams. [?]

Basically, I want my baby left alone, unless they ABSOLUTELY need to intervene, is it really so hard to have this done without fighting? I know I have the right to refuse, but under what scrutiny? Is there any way to get these things situated before my EDD?

I hoping it's all a waste of time and I am just over preparing, but that's part of my nature.

Advertisement

Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,790
Re: Pediatrician Questions: Need some advice!

I think it's going to depend the most on your hospital. I have had 2 different births (1 planned hospital and 1 that was a transfer to a different hospital from a birth center).

My 1st planned hospital birth we had to fight a bit harder. It was easy to decline the Hep B vaccine but it was more of a struggle to decline the eye ointment. We also had them pushing formula/bottles a bit more and they did the exams in the nursery but dh or I went with her to all the exams and the hearing test and were right there (but I do think it annoyed the nurses).

My 2nd was at a bit more friendly baby friendly hospital and nothing was an issue. We declined the vaccines, eye ointment and even though my dd had a traumatic birth they asked me before they administered the vit K to make sure I was ok with it. They did all exams in my room with the exception of the hearing test because the machine was bolted to the nursery floor but I was able to walk down there with her and hold her hand. They also didn't say much about me not bathing her or using cloth diapers. I would talk to people who have experience there. I also found that the more often I put my oldest down the more often it seemed they wanted to take her so I spent a lot of time holding her and letting her hang out on the breast.
__________________
Awesome Heartsy Deals today! Get $5 credit for signing up and take advantage. Soaps, cookies and baby hats are all feature deals today! http://heartsy.me/users/129212/referral?c=plink
Greenbabybottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
steph410's Avatar
steph410
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6,096
My Mood:
Re: Pediatrician Questions: Need some advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
There is supposedly one pediatrician in town that is 'breastfeeding friendly' and 'open minded', however, the office does not allow meeting/interviewing before birth. I went through a lot of trouble to schedule an appointment prior to my daughter's birth and they are charging me $250 cash for an interview.

I am planning a midwife assisted vbac homebirth, but, if I do end up transferring to the hospital, I want all of my grounds covered, including a Ped. that will oversee my baby immediately after birth.

I have a lot of not-so-common requests I would like to be considered before my daughter is born, though I have called the hospital and discussed with the head of the nursing staff, I feel it'd be a very difficult battle.

The hospitals in my area are not so baby friendly, and I would most certainly like to avoid an 'on-call' Pediatrician, so- long question short, what should I go over at this interview?

My husband and I are not very knowledgeable on American routine and despite my trying efforts, I'm still getting conflicting information.

We do not want eye ointment of any kind.
We do not want any vaccinations.
We will be bringing our own oral vit. K if the birth is for some reason rough.
I do not want anyone offering/giving samples/trying to persuade me to bottle feed. It's annoying and unnecessary.
In this hospital the hearing tests/exams are done in the nursery, this makes me uncomfortable.
I will be having having my midwife preform the PKU two days after birth.
I was told over the phone that it was unheard of and strange to bring your own diapers, and that they'd probably refuse to use them if they took her for exams. [?]

Basically, I want my baby left alone, unless they ABSOLUTELY need to intervene, is it really so hard to have this done without fighting? I know I have the right to refuse, but under what scrutiny? Is there any way to get these things situated before my EDD?

I hoping it's all a waste of time and I am just over preparing, but that's part of my nature.
for most of the things you mentioned, it totally varies from hospital to hospital, so maybe you should find out more specifics from the hospital that you may end up going to? i would suggest a detailed but simple birth plan if you need to go to a hospital also. out of curiosity, why does the hearing test make you nervous? good luck with everything
__________________
Catholic mom to five wonderful little boys- we welcomed our newest baby on 4/6/13
steph410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
aries416
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,527
Re: Pediatrician Questions: Need some advice!

I agree that it's all going to depend on the hospital.

My hospital didn't have any issue at all with declining Hep B. I said I was waiting and they said, "ok". No big deal. They did do the hearing test in the nursery, but I could have gone with them. The only other times they took the baby was for weight, but again, I could have gone with or sent someone with. They just usually did it at night when no one else was in the room with me and I didn't feel up to walking around like that after the c-section. No bottles were offered, no nursery was offered.
__________________
Eleanor, mama to Maren (07.05.08) and Grant (10.20.10)
aries416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
Kätzchen's Avatar
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,554
Re: Pediatrician Questions: Need some advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
for most of the things you mentioned, it totally varies from hospital to hospital, so maybe you should find out more specifics from the hospital that you may end up going to? i would suggest a detailed but simple birth plan if you need to go to a hospital also. out of curiosity, why does the hearing test make you nervous? good luck with everything
They do not allow the parents to go for the hearing test not sure why.


I'm going to be attending the next local LLL group, it'll be a little late in the game, but, better than not asking, I guess I'm kind of shy about this sort of thing.

I'm hoping that, since this is my second, maybe it'll be easier to fight the staff if need be

Thanks for your responses, I really appreciate any input
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
juliabell's Avatar
juliabell
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 617
Re: Pediatrician Questions: Need some advice!

Can you just request that your baby room-in with you and not be in the nursery? I put in my birth plan that since we were rooming-in that if they had to take the baby for any reason that my husband or a person of my choosing had to be with the baby at all times for any and all tests. But since he was with us at all times, they had to come to us to do tests. I could have refused anything (except PKU.)

I had to sign something if I wanted the HepB, I also had to sign since we declined it. My nurse asked specifically beforehand if the VitK and eye ointment was okay. I would recommend telling them to put baby right on you after delivery and to perform any and all tests while baby is on you. I would recommend making sure your husband knows what you want and don't want and to be very very pushy and annoying to make sure you get what you want. I would tell all the nurses over and over as well.

Since you're having a homebirth and this is only if you transfer to a hospital, I would imagine they would expect you to have different requests. Keep your birth plan with you if you have to go to the hospital and be prepared to be vocal. Also - you could get a doula who could advocate for you for everything?

Not sure about the diaper thing - you could just take yours and if they put your baby in a disposable, just change it as soon as you get your baby back.

I'm curious where you live that there is only one pro-breastfeeding pediatrician? And that the hospital is so strange? Maybe I'm used to living in a more "liberal" area where they expect us to do crunchy type things but I am amazed that there are still hospitals who push formula and all these other things.
__________________
Julia.
Wife to B. Mama to M (May 2011.) Expecting #2 (July 2014!)
CD, BF, BW, Waldorf, minimalist.
juliabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
malaynasmommy's Avatar
malaynasmommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,831
My Mood:
Re: Pediatrician Questions: Need some advice!

Do you have a birth plan written out? We made one for our second DD's hospital birth and listed all of our wishes on it. We made sure that our OB and all the nurses had a copy. We refused the vitamin k, hep b, and the eye goop and just had to sign a paper stating that we were refusing them. No big deal. She never left our sight at all during the hospital stay. DH went with her while she got her hearing test done and that was the only time she left our room.

As far as questions to ask the pediatrician I would just ask their stance on things that are important to you like breastfeeding, extended breastfeeding/child led weaning, vaccines, circumcision, co-sleeping, attachment parenting (just examples) You should be able to get a good feel for if they are good fit for your family based on their answers. Good luck
__________________
Ashley Happily married to my high school sweetheart SAHM to Malayna 1.18.07 Myleigh 5.1.08 Jameson 12.27.09 (our first homebirth) Hadley 11.13.11 (planned unassisted)
malaynasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
Kätzchen's Avatar
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,554
Re: Pediatrician Questions: Need some advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliabell View Post
Can you just request that your baby room-in with you and not be in the nursery? I put in my birth plan that since we were rooming-in that if they had to take the baby for any reason that my husband or a person of my choosing had to be with the baby at all times for any and all tests. But since he was with us at all times, they had to come to us to do tests. I could have refused anything (except PKU.)

I had to sign something if I wanted the HepB, I also had to sign since we declined it. My nurse asked specifically beforehand if the VitK and eye ointment was okay. I would recommend telling them to put baby right on you after delivery and to perform any and all tests while baby is on you. I would recommend making sure your husband knows what you want and don't want and to be very very pushy and annoying to make sure you get what you want. I would tell all the nurses over and over as well.

Since you're having a homebirth and this is only if you transfer to a hospital, I would imagine they would expect you to have different requests. Keep your birth plan with you if you have to go to the hospital and be prepared to be vocal. Also - you could get a doula who could advocate for you for everything?

Not sure about the diaper thing - you could just take yours and if they put your baby in a disposable, just change it as soon as you get your baby back.

I'm curious where you live that there is only one pro-breastfeeding pediatrician? And that the hospital is so strange? Maybe I'm used to living in a more "liberal" area where they expect us to do crunchy type things but I am amazed that there are still hospitals who push formula and all these other things.
I am in Daytona Beach, Florida; sadly, I'll be here until my husband finishes his citizenship. Even my 'breastfeeding friendly' Ped. has nothing but Similac* ads hanging about his office.

The only reason I would go to the hospital is if I needed a RCS, and in that case, they do not allow the baby in recovery [a whole separate frustration], so they'd take her to the nursery with her Father. I had a trip to L&D at this hosp. after a car accident a couple of months ago, and they tried to send me home with pamphlets from Enfamil* it confuses me why, but /shrug. I just don't get a good feeling.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
KristieW's Avatar
KristieW
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 2,007
My Mood:
Re: Pediatrician Questions: Need some advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
They do not allow the parents to go for the hearing test not sure why.
That would be an absolutely no for me. Our birth plan last time and this specifically stated that mom and dad are to be with baby at all times. You don't HAVE to consent to the hearing test, and they CANNOT take your baby from you without your express consent. If you're really worried, make sure one of you (you or DH) is AWAKE with baby at all times or maybe have a little kimono printed stating that no one touches baby without your permission.
__________________
Married to my best friend since 10/04, Mommy to DD1 since 10/08 and DD2 6/11
Avi: REALLY old pic of my girlies <3
KristieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
KristieW's Avatar
KristieW
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 2,007
My Mood:
Re: Pediatrician Questions: Need some advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
I am in Daytona Beach, Florida; sadly, I'll be here until my husband finishes his citizenship. Even my 'breastfeeding friendly' Ped. has nothing but Similac* ads hanging about his office.

The only reason I would go to the hospital is if I needed a RCS, and in that case, they do not allow the baby in recovery [a whole separate frustration], so they'd take her to the nursery with her Father. I had a trip to L&D at this hosp. after a car accident a couple of months ago, and they tried to send me home with pamphlets from Enfamil* it confuses me why, but /shrug. I just don't get a good feeling.
Can you even say that no, they DON'T take baby to the nursery, they take her to the room where you'll be staying after you're done in recovery (just like they would if you weren't in recovery), and if the nurses want to do something, then they can do it with dad in the regular PP room? What, do they not trust dads to be alone with their newbies?
__________________
Married to my best friend since 10/04, Mommy to DD1 since 10/08 and DD2 6/11
Avi: REALLY old pic of my girlies <3
KristieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.