Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pediatrician Questions: Need some advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristieW View Post
Can you even say that no, they DON'T take baby to the nursery, they take her to the room where you'll be staying after you're done in recovery (just like they would if you weren't in recovery), and if the nurses want to do something, then they can do it with dad in the regular PP room? What, do they not trust dads to be alone with their newbies?
I like both of your suggestions.
I'm going to give the hospital another call tomorrow to discuss these options.

Advertisement

Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #12
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you!

Don't "discuss" the "baby doesn't go ANYWHERE without a parent" thing though. That's your RIGHT. Despite our birth plan, DD ended up spending a few days in the NICU due to a traumatic birth, and EVERY STINKIN' TIME we left they gave her formula, even when I'd just finished BFing on their stupid "you can have 15 minutes but any more will be too traumatic for her so you have to LEAVE" clock. They'd call 10 minutes after I left and say, oh, we just topped her off with some formula because she was still hungry (umm, only 15 minutes of BFing and she was still hungry? Ya think?) Knowing what I know now, I'd totally tell them what to do with their clock, but back then I was too overwhelmed and underinformed.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #13
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristieW View Post
Thank you!

Don't "discuss" the "baby doesn't go ANYWHERE without a parent" thing though. That's your RIGHT. Despite our birth plan, DD ended up spending a few days in the NICU due to a traumatic birth, and EVERY STINKIN' TIME we left they gave her formula, even when I'd just finished BFing on their stupid "you can have 15 minutes but any more will be too traumatic for her so you have to LEAVE" clock. They'd call 10 minutes after I left and say, oh, we just topped her off with some formula because she was still hungry (umm, only 15 minutes of BFing and she was still hungry? Ya think?) Knowing what I know now, I'd totally tell them what to do with their clock, but back then I was too overwhelmed and underinformed.
I would be LIVID. I had a very special needs baby/toddler with feeding issues, maybe that's why I am so nervous

I am very shy and soft spoken, but I would pity the nurse who'd try and sneak formula to my baby. Now, if I can only channel that inner-outspokenness to everyday events :hides:
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
juliabell
Registered Users
seller
seller

This sounds like a nightmare. I agree with the "don't discuss" advice. THIS IS YOUR CHILD. You have every right to say no to what they want and do. I can't believe they would tell you that you couldn't be with your baby. I really hope that everything goes well with your homebirth and that you don't even have to worry about some of this stuff.

I'm also a shy and soft-spoken person. But I found that when it came to things with our baby I got really opinionated and obnoxious. When it comes to me, I'm open to more compromise. But don't EVEN try anything when it comes to my child! Mama bear's claws will come out! I found an amazing pediatrician who does delayed vax and all that other good stuff and I called when I was pregnant to make sure I could see her and they said I could. Then when I called after our little boy was born to make his first appt., they said she wasn't taking new patients. The poor woman who told me that got an earful, I was put on hold, and when she came back I got my appts! Sometimes it helps to be a brat
Wife to B. Mama to M (May 2011.) Expecting #2 (July 2014!)
CD, BF, BW, Waldorf, minimalist.
juliabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #15
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the posters 100% who are saying not to discuss, but to simply state the way things will go.

Don't "request", or "ask" that your baby not be taken away for an exam or the hearing test. If you want your baby with you at all times, simply say, "I'm not comfortable with the baby going anywhere without me, if you need to do something, please do it here. If you can not do it in my presence, then it will not be done".

You certainly do not have to be mean or aggressive, but be bold and firm - oftentimes - it is the only way your voice will be heard.

Good luck mama
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:39 AM   #16
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
I would be LIVID. I had a very special needs baby/toddler with feeding issues, maybe that's why I am so nervous

I am very shy and soft spoken, but I would pity the nurse who'd try and sneak formula to my baby. Now, if I can only channel that inner-outspokenness to everyday events :hides:
I was LIVID... but so overwhelmed by all the unexpected events that I didn't even know where to start, so I'd end up just sobbing until they'd "allow" me to go back for the next SCHEDULED feeding. Just thinking about it now makes my blood pressure rise!

I'm going in COMPLETELY loaded for bear with this next one... we're planning on a birth center, but if something should go wrong and we end up back at the hospital, we KNOW our rights.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #17
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did not pick a pediatrician for our daughter, but a family practice that we all go to. I didn't see any reason to have a pediatrician, unless there was a problem.

As for the ped at the hospital, I didn't know you could pick that person? We hadn't picked a doctor at that point, so they just looked at her, said she was perfect, and that was it.

I also have only taken her to the doctor 2 or three times since her newborn checkup in the hospital, mainly to get her weight checked. Since we don't vaccinate, there's not much of a point unless she gets sick, which she hasn't since she was born.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #18
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:

Make sure you ask for any waivers you need to sign. Here, you have to have already signed a waiver declining vit k and eye drops BEFORE you give birth. And PKU is mandated here by law. So if you request to sign a waiver, you are reported to CPS and have to follow up with them when you have the procedure done. Beyond what is mandated by law, you have the right to refuse any treatments for your child. Make sure you have anything you need signed by your ped in place, and I would even go so far as to ask them to attach a copy of them to the blanket consent forms they have you sign upon admission (or when pre-registering).
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #19
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a repeat c-section but this one was much different than my last now that I know my rights. Baby stayed on my chest after delivery for the remainder of the surgery. I was able to BF while they finished sewing me up! I was in recovery for only 20 minutes while hub took baby back to our room and did skin to skin. Then, I was wheeled back to our room and baby was with me the rest of the time! They didn't take him for ANYTHING except the hearing test; which my husband went along for. Good luck mama!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #20
niadara
Registered Users
seller

In FL, you can refuse all those newborn things (eye ointment, vaccines, vitamin K shot). Even if you have a RCS, have your husband be with your baby at all times. They cannot refuse your diapers, they cannot refuse having you or your spouse present for the hearing screening (which you can refuse). The PKU is "mandated" but you can opt out and do it with your midwife or if at the hospital do it at two days (we did it at 8 days with our midwives, as some diseases do not manifest until after the milk comes in and is digested). Your husband can stop them from giving baby formula. The key is that one of you ALWAYS has to be with baby. They cannot refuse rooming in.
niadara is offline   Reply With Quote