Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Numb hands

My thumb, and first two fingers on each hand tingle.

Is this normal? It happened with DS too when I got about 35w and started to swell. I have been trying everything to keep from getting swollen, but I can't not be active. I have a toddler. Luckily, he's been an amazing little helper (sometimes, he's still 2) and will get mama things. But I also still work (until tomorrow)

It got so bad with DS that I couldn't squeeze out my hair in the shower (I have white lady dreads, you kinda ring them out like a towel) I've heard of pregnancy carpal tunnel, but a name doesn't mean diddily if there isn't something you can do about it!

I'm worried that my swelling caused my water to break early. I know, it's probably a long shot, but maybe? DS was born with no lasting problems from being a little early, just PITA things like wicked jaundice, and some weird breathing after birth.

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Could be carpal tunnel. Mine acts up too.
splints at night can help a bunch. You can get then at walmart.

You have GD right? Mine tingle when my sugars are too high as well. Usually in the morning when my fastings are so high.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Numb hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
You have GD right? Mine tingle when my sugars are too high as well. Usually in the morning when my fastings are so high.
interesting... My evening numbers are the worst, so I would make sense. Next time I get up I'll check my sugar and see what's crackin. I'm not one of those people that can feel high sugar. but it very well could be.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
Lovinmama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had pregnancy induced carpal tunnel in one hand when I was pregnant with DS1. My right hand was pretty much numb from 34w on and didn't become "normal" again until my son was about 6wks old.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
srkobus
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

yep carpal tunnel. wear braces at night while your sleeping. and there are some "exercises" you can do. its hard to explain but.... stand next to a wall with your arm outstretched behind you, palm up against the wall. keep you body perpendicular to the wall and rotate your hand in each direction as far as it will go. its a good stretch and does seem to ease the numbing/pain i get with cp. hope that helps a little.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
Ten
Registered Users

My Mood:

Mine get all numb and wake me up when I'm sleeping... but only then. They've never done that before. Not quite the same thing, but hoping you get some relief..

*we're TTC again and hoping DD1 returns to us!*
"Death can't stop True Love - it can only delay it for a while." - The Princess Bride
Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I found that icing my wrists at night, then wearing splints to bed did the trick to ease the pain and numbness. It's pretty common in pregnancy.
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
jeepmom
Registered Users
seller

I had this too, and bothered me for 2-3 months after the birth, especially while nursing the left side (holding DD with my right hand). A good nursing pillow really helped. And a ring sling to carry her with.
jeepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
revmommy
Registered Users
seller

I would go for teh splints. I got carpal tunnel with my first about half way through and the splints really helped.
revmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:41 AM   #10
trellisaze
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by srkobus View Post
yep carpal tunnel. wear braces at night while your sleeping. and there are some "exercises" you can do. its hard to explain but.... stand next to a wall with your arm outstretched behind you, palm up against the wall. keep you body perpendicular to the wall and rotate your hand in each direction as far as it will go. its a good stretch and does seem to ease the numbing/pain i get with cp. hope that helps a little.
thanks for this info on stretching! I think I have this problem (has just started, will talk to my doc about it next week) and ice isn't helping, about to go buy a brace and see if that helps... but meanwhile I will try this stretch. I feel like my entire right hand is burning and aching--it's pretty unbearable though I know this can be common in pregnancy.
trellisaze is offline   Reply With Quote